Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (โ‹ฎ) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive

This is part 1 of the K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive discussion.

Featured Replies

4 minutes ago, Zack said:

I was reviewing some old 2nd gen performances and I got a SHOCK.

ย 

The way everyone was out there singing with raw LIVE vocals and low backtracks while doing full choreo, like even the groups who traditionally weren't known for their singing were also doing it too.

ย 

The current gens have fallen down very far in this particular aspect. Wow.

ย 

ย 

ย 

I think itโ€™s more surprising when groups like twice , IVE, lsfm lipped because their songs arenโ€™t that hard to sing at all.ย 

  • Replies 131.8k
  • Views 10.9m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • aespa #1!ย  ย  MYs can have arts AND charts now No chart updates on Spicy from you then? ย  I think not. Nope. They're at #1 now. Consider your points deb

  • Also @Mel.ย now that thread banning is back your two week ban starts now.ย 

  • Antisocialites
    Antisocialites

    some of the new members not giving new at allย 

26 minutes ago, Kummercell said:

he was kinda cute tbhย :jonny5:he was tall and ginger

I should've approached him like:

ย 

Not ginger and tall! Praying you see him again so y'all can give yourselves a good

ย 

ย 

Is there a reason why SM music videos are always just 90% dancing? Maybe their artists would get more views if they found a better editor

4 minutes ago, elevate said:

Not ginger and tall! Praying you see him again so y'all can give yourselves a good

ย 

ย 

me doing detective work so i can find out who he is

ย 

3 minutes ago, Zack said:

I was reviewing some old 2nd gen performances and I got a SHOCK.

ย 

The way everyone was out there singing with raw LIVE vocals and low backtracks while doing full choreo, like even the groups who traditionally weren't known for their singing were also doing it too.

ย 

The current gens have fallen down very far in this particular aspect. Wow.

ย 

ย 

ย 

exactly, that's why I always say 2nd gen is superior

ย 

they didn't have the same budget as new groups, and weren't as popular (globally) but they always worked their asses off & sang live even if some of them couldn't hold a note at least they tried :redface:ย + they had great stage presence and were so funny & unhinged on variety shows. unfortunately we'll never see that again because companies now like to control every little thing about their idols to the point where they seem like robots sometimss :(

1 minute ago, Luckitty said:

exactly, that's why I always say 2nd gen is superior

ย 

they didn't have the same budget as new groups, and weren't as popular (globally) but they always worked their asses off & sang live even if some of them couldn't hold a note at least they tried :redface:ย + they had great stage presence and were so funny & unhinged on variety shows. unfortunately we'll never see that again because companies now like to control every little thing about their idols to the point where they seem like robots sometimss :(

I think itโ€™s because back then companies were able to pick the best of the best. Nowadays not everyone wants to be idol anymore, they can just be social media influencer or go on reality shows, or just go into acting.ย 

the way they sang this entire performance live and you can hear all the mistakes they makeย :clap3:ย mind you back then (1st gen) companies didn't even train idols they just scouted pretty girls and gave them mics and they sang live, the new idols who train for a decade have no excuse

ย 

ย 

1 minute ago, gugunikko said:

I think itโ€™s because back then companies were able to pick the best of the best. Nowadays not everyone wants to be idol anymore, they can just be social media influencer or go on reality shows, or just go into acting.ย 

idk i feel like there's definitely a lot more trainees nowadays than during the 2nd gen since kpop is much more popular right now

ย 

there are a lot of talented 3rd and 4th gen idols who can sing live but they don't for some reason, probably because of their companies.
ย 

also i feel like back then companies weren't afraid of debuting talented artists who are a little ugly (for the korean beauty standardsย :emofish:) but now being pretty is way more important

14 minutes ago, Luckitty said:

the way they sang this entire performance live and you can hear all the mistakes they makeย :clap3:ย mind you back then (1st gen) companies didn't even train idols they just scouted pretty girls and gave them mics and they sang live, the new idols who train for a decade have no excuse

ย 

ย 

1st gen is notorious for lipsyncing though :dies:ย Lee Hyori talked about it and she's hilarious

ย 

Quote

Lee Hyori then confessed another anecdote. She said, โ€œBack then, I didnโ€™t have any attachment (to my work). During one interview, the interviewer asked us, โ€˜What kind of preparations do you guys do before heading stage?โ€™ Joo Hyun answered that she warms up her voice, and I said, โ€˜I look at the mirror. Itโ€™s all lip-sync anyway.โ€™โ€

ย 

Idk what was the point of this, JYPIG/Republic should have used that money for Spotify TTH placement instead but whatever I guess

ย 

Edited by Witnessed ET

2 hours ago, MusicFan98 said:

ย 

@xrosup:jonny5:ย I love this bop so much.

ย 

ย 

Biiiiitch, I've been replaying their mini a lot the last couple of days, specially this hyperpop slay :jonny5:ย Allen's opening lines alone get me HYPED and feeling cunty :gaycatina1: Did you listen to the rest of the EP?

10 minutes ago, Sept said:

1st gen is notorious for lipsyncing though :dies:ย Lee Hyori talked about it and she's hilarious

ย 

ย 

jewelry sang live most of the time, lee hyori's forgotten group cant relateย :thing:

I almost could not recognize nayeonย :laugh:ย I had to zoom in. So the one in front are the ones answering the questions?ย 

ย 

So after all it seems Helen is still in SMย :ducky:ย 

ย 

ย 

49 minutes ago, Witnessed ET said:

Idk what was the point of this, JYPIG/Republic should have used that money for Spotify TTH placement instead but whatever I guess

ย 

I just walked by the ESB like an hour ago and did not see these colors. They couldโ€™ve paid for more than a couple minutesย :celestial5:

21 minutes ago, dangerlady said:

I almost could not recognize nayeonย :laugh:ย I had to zoom in. So the one in front are the ones answering the questions?ย 

ย 

must be in korean then cuz no way jeongyeon is taking the mic otherwise :rip:

54 minutes ago, xrosup said:

Biiiiitch, I've been replaying their mini a lot the last couple of days, specially this hyperpop slay :jonny5:ย Allen's opening lines alone get me HYPED and feeling cunty :gaycatina1: Did you listen to the rest of the EP?

Kinda did on release day but ut didn't click for me as their last one, however, when you posted about this track I revisited it and it hit me hard:jonny5:ย there's a ballad in the mini though, not here for it:eddie:

1 minute ago, MusicFan98 said:

Kinda did on release day but ut didn't click for me as their last one, however, when you posted about this track I revisited it and it hit me hard:jonny5:ย there's a ballad in the mini though, not here for it:eddie:

Oh yeah I skip the ballad when I listen to the album, but even then it's not offensively bad like every other ballad from other groups. I'm kinda stanning them this era, the music is so so so good and I'm revisiting their old music now too and they have a solid 20 good songs as of now :jonny:ย 

41 minutes ago, dangerlady said:

I almost could not recognize nayeonย :laugh:ย I had to zoom in. So the one in front are the ones answering the questions?ย 

ย 

Judging by Jeongyeonโ€™s face, itโ€™s probably in Korean, which means there is a translator and there will be awkward silence every now and thenย :rip:

ย 

anyway Iโ€™m really happy how theyโ€™ve gained such a big audience in the US despite not speaking a word of English and not doing promotions up until 2019ย :clap3:

ย 

27 minutes ago, Butters said:

I just walked by the ESB like an hour ago and did not see these colors. They couldโ€™ve paid for more than a couple minutesย :celestial5:

good I hope they havenโ€™t wasted too much money in the Empire State Building and used it for more lucrative promo insteadย 

2 hours ago, fauxtography said:

its crazy if you go back 7-10 years you had kpop groups experimenting, crossing boundaries, and singing about their moist pussays.

ย 

it just doesn't happen anymore.

ย 

Like, who's the 3/4 gen Hyuna? CHUNGHA? :deadbanana2:

ย 

G-idle is kinda the first group toeing the line tho with NXDE, but even that was like the kidz bop version of kpop a decade ago :rip:

We talk about changes between gens a lot in here on a superficial level but it's actually baffling how k-pop has gotten MORE conservative over the past 20 years instead of less. And like, significantly, too. It's so, so weird :deadbanana2:ย I think it has something to do with internationalization and Twitter/TikTok teen puritanical culture combined with the rising importance of branding and sponsorships or something but I'm not prepared to write that essay.

ย 

Also, if we're on the subject of GaIn, I still think Bloom is one of the best and most unique k-pop songs ever made. Incredible, amazing, showstopping, etc.

ย 

ย 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions โ†’ Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.