Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive

This is part 1 of the K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive discussion.

Featured Replies

  • Replies 131.8k
  • Views 10.8m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • aespa #1!    MYs can have arts AND charts now No chart updates on Spicy from you then?   I think not. Nope. They're at #1 now. Consider your points deb

  • Also @Mel. now that thread banning is back your two week ban starts now. 

  • Antisocialites
    Antisocialites

    some of the new members not giving new at all 

anyways haven’t watched the performance yet but based on the clips i saw, the girls did well :clap3: especially considering it was their US debut performance

 

imo out of all the k-pop acts, their music has the most global appeal and they will def become even bigger in the future :clap3:

 

i’m also lowkey stanning hanni and minji (especially the former) :jonny5:

never thought i’d see another girl group be potentially as big as BP but NJ here doing it within a year, happy for them (tho kinda bitter aespa wasn’t doing better but I kind of gave up on SM already) 

 

it will be over for the others once they get their BNA nom :clap3: 

34 minutes ago, supershy said:

Cool With You is kinda flopping on Spotify. Actually besides Super Shy, the other songs this time all do worse than Ditto/OMG on Spotify 

 

it's so funny how you constantly try it and nobody gives a f :bibliahh:

newjeans slayed, their stage presence has gotten so much better since they debuted. They were definitely singing live (with backing) and they sounded great. NEXT!

newjeans-newji.gif


 

21 minutes ago, ItsJustMe. said:

oh wow brave ent could never!

I will never forgive that rat for styling these sexy bishes like grandmas for 2 years 


:WAP::WAP:

 

v8p4CEE.jpg

1 hour ago, Harrier said:

To respond to the conversation a few pages ago, I have said there are no vocalists in New Jeans several times. I stand by it too.

To be sure, 4/5 girls can hold a tune and sound decent enough, and not everyone values or enjoys impressive vocals and thats completely valid. The girls have nice tones, good songs, and great performances. But it is also valid for people to say they don't love the lack of vocalists.

 

For me I dont love it because I feel it limits the kind of music they can do successfully - we saw what happened when Danielle was given Part of Your World :skull: And I feel sometimes it negatively impacts the quality of a song. I often think about how much better a song like Hype Boy would sound if sung by say, Red Velvet. Or how much better the Misamo songs would be if Jihyo was there :skull:

 

 

 

 

I came across this cover of super shy but with harmonies. Most of the comments were about how RV would have sang the song the same way 

 

 

1 hour ago, supershy said:

Cool With You is kinda flopping on Spotify. Actually besides Super Shy, the other songs this time all do worse than Ditto/OMG on Spotify 

 

Cool With You is kinda the best of the bunch though. Another proof that the GP lacks taste

SM Sheeps don’t understand that NewJeans appeal is that they are not like RV nor like aespa 

 

their songs are easy on the ear, public don’t struggle to follow them, sing along and listen on repeat (also no unpleasant screeches allowed)

if their songs would be vocal heavy it would be impossible for the group to deliver amazing dance performance and that is huge part of the NewJeans brand 

and btw, I saw some SM artists TOUR clips and they are lipsyncing a lot of times there so where are those vocals we’re speaking of? they forget to leave the studio way too often

Edited by Hazy

 

A bop idc what other ppl say :jonny: I really like Raye's demo too (and her previous album while we're at it). Let's support this indie legend :clap3: 

 

I'm sorry but you need to stop with the Red Velvet are amazing vocalists propaganda :skull: 

Wendy is one of the best singers of her generation, no one denies that, and Seulgi is great when she's not screaming, but the others? :celestial5:

Don't tell me Joy is amazing, because even though I love her, she sometimes sounds like Sana with a wider register (iygiygi) 

Edited by Axel.

newjeans MASSIVE crowd at Lollapalooza :jonnycat: They are sayin it's the biggest crowd ever for a 5 pm slot

Not GD fans hoping that his brand flops so he can release new music ... Is this how @Zack feel for miss Jessica... 

 

I hope she does flop if she gives us another Call Me Before You Sleep.

Sheep this sheep that when it's a ONCE and Blink starting this convo :ahh: :ahh: 

22 minutes ago, Hazy said:

SM Sheeps don’t understand that NewJeans appeal is that they are not like RV nor like aespa 

 

their songs are easy on the ear, public don’t struggle to follow them, sing along and on repeat (also no unpleasant screeches allowed)

if their songs would be vocal heavy it would be impossible for the group to deliver amazing dance performance and that is huge part of the NewJeans brand 

and btw, I saw some SM artists TOUR clips and they are lipsyncing a lot of times there so where are those vocals we’re speaking of? they forget to leave the studio way too often

I don’t think it’s fair to question that people don’t understand the appeal of the NewJeans music. Objectively you can tell why they’re pretty popular from the get go. They release cleanly produced catchy songs that aren’t progressive but are subversive enough within the kpop context to have an edge to them. The girls themselves are charming and good dancers, generally adding to a positive image.

The “vocal” conversation  comes down to preference at the end of the day. Some people like playlist “easy listening” stuff and others don’t and want more intensity. Especially in a context where kpop as a genre was built off of extreme maximalism I don’t find it entirely implausible that some people aren’t into NewJeans 

 

It’s fair to point out the bullshit in this thread tho. Some users have been doing way too much on NJ bc they’re blatantly jealous and align themselves directly w a company like SM, YG or JYP (that’s a large chunk of this thread). I can be guilty of this too and admit that I’ve levied some unfair criticism against many groups. I’m sure a lot of that criticism also comes from people who have stanned SM a long time and feel upset that MHJ “stole” some sort of branding from them. Then on the flip side there’s several users who like HYBE acts mostly too. Like it’s a double edged sword and people are aligning more with corporate incentives and money in some cases than their actual musical preference. 

 

All of this needless essay is to say who really ******* cares about their vocal ability when the music is resonating this widely. They sound enough like the studio tracks. Like everything doesn’t click for me personally with them but arguing ad nauseam about every step they take is getting so reductive I don’t know if I’d personally see them live but I wouldn’t criticize somebody for doing so, they look like they please their fans and put on a good show. 

 

Last note to your post tho, NewJeans lipped many stages in Korea during their fanmeet so it’s pretty incredulous to point out that SM artists do that, it’s a common practice in kpop especially with intense dance routines. aespa performed most of their festival set as a trio live on short notice so it’s not as uncommon as you think. 

22 minutes ago, Chemist said:

newjeans MASSIVE crowd at Lollapalooza :jonnycat: They are sayin it's the biggest crowd ever for a 5 pm slot

I believe it, that looked like a headliner crowd

sorry for the random essay yall i didn’t sleep that much and felt pretty negative on the nj lolla set bc i was in a bad mood when it aired. came around to it and i have to admit it was really well done and those girls and ador/hybe should be proud of the work their putting in. they’re taking kpop to new places.

2 hours ago, thirdward said:

this, I’m not an aespa stan but they go through way worse in this thread 

Happy to say I contribute for that :giraffe:

 

 

Wait this sounds good. The vocals truly elevated the demo :celestial5:

NJ clearly the top 4th gen act, overall probably just behind BTS & BP at this point

Like I said still haven’t seen the supposed newjeans shade their fans cry about every other page :giraffe:

 

I swear the minute you don’t praise them to the sky its “giving them to much ****” like? The standards are funny

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.