Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
The New Releases 💿

'Medúlla' turns 18

Featured Replies

Medulla.png

 

Björk's fifth studio album Medúlla was released on August 30, 2004.

 

30 Bjork ideas | bjork, musician, singer

 

This ambitious project is made from human voices only, except for piano and synthesizers in a few tracks. Beautiful melodies and harmonizing choirs blend with heavy beatboxing and ancestral throat singing. Lyrically, it was inspired by Björk's newborn Ísadóra, motherhood and the new life and issues of the 21st century.

 

Whoisit Bjork.jpgTriumphHeartBjork.jpg

 

Medúlla spawned two singles: "Who Is It" and "Triumph of a Heart". The surreal music video for "Who Is It" features Björk's iconic bell dress, designed by Alexander McQueen. Album track "Oceania" was performed at the 2004 Olympics, where the singer wore a giant blue dress resembling the ocean.

 

Björk's "Who is it" video. Alexander McQueen Bell Dress. | Belle dress,  Fashion, Alexander mcqueen

 

The album was well-received by critics, who praised Björk's vocals and the album's incredibly ambitious concept. Medúlla peaked at No. 1 in France, Belgium, Iceland and the Dance/Electronic US chart and Top 10 in seventeen countries, including the UK and Japan. Its two singles became Top 40 hits in England, Italy and Scotland.

 

What are your thoughts on Björk's most divisive project among fans?

What are your favorite songs?

One of her, if not her most, experimental and daring albums. Love the dark, black visuals. Her truly hidden gem with some of her best songs aka Desired Constellation, Oceania, Submarine, Who is It, Where is the Line, Triumph of a Heart...

I remember Ioving Pagan Poetry and trying to get into Vespertine, which I couldn't for a while. So I skipped it snd listened to Medúlla and it was love at first sight, even at her more experimental there's something so beautiful and captivating

Desired Constellation, Pleasure Is All Mine, Where Is the Line.. one in a kind songs!

  • Author
31 minutes ago, Mrs Smartie said:

One of her, if not her most, experimental and daring albums. Love the dark, black visuals. Her truly hidden gem with some of her best songs aka Desired Constellation, Oceania, Submarine, Who is It, Where is the Line, Triumph of a Heart...

Absolutely! Medúlla, Biophilia and Utopia are her most experimental albums, in my opinion. And I agree with you calling it a hidden gem... the musical aspect may be "distracting", you know, only human voices, but if you really focus on it, there are so many beautiful melodies and compositions.

 

5 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

Vokuro her best song

:clap3:

Where is the line,  Vokuro ,Desired Constellation , Oceania are classics :clap3:

I like this album quite a bit, but I think it would be my sixth favorite from her, behind her first four and Vulnicura. My favorites are Where Is The Line, Who Is It, Sonnets / Unrealities XI, and Triumph of a Heart.

What a beautiful album :clap3:I've been playing it a lot recently. Top three: Oceania, Desired Constellation, Submarine 

Medulla will always be a special girl to me. When I was discovering Bjork I remember kinda being scared cause everyone said it was difficult to listen to. But then one day a major rainfall occurred and I finally listened to it and wow what an experience :jonnycat:to me Medulla has her most immediate pop melodies. Who Is it adn TOAH are STILL pop perfections 18 years later :alexz:

 

I love Medulla so much, Triumph of a Heart is my favorite Björk song ever and the album has so many gems like Who Is It, Vokuro, Desired Constelation, Mouth's Craddle, OCEANIA :jonny5: That Olympics performance still gives me the chills. One of her best albums for sure.

Her third best album

ezgif_com_gif_maker_1.thumb.gif.98e41ac6

 

2 hours ago, Pendulum said:

She can turn 99 years but she will never be Volta

exactly and that's why we love it

ezgif_com_gif_maker_1.thumb.gif.98e41ac6

  • Author
1 hour ago, mrmayman said:

I like this album quite a bit, but I think it would be my sixth favorite from her, behind her first four and Vulnicura. My favorites are Where Is The Line, Who Is It, Sonnets / Unrealities XI, and Triumph of a Heart.


taste :clap3:

The way it's one of her most experimental but also has bops for days ... It was the first Björk album i took to, Desired Constellation floored me.

The way Who Is It, Where Is the Line, Vokuro, Desired Constellation, Triumph of a Heart, Oceania are all career highlights :jonny3:

Who Is It remains one of the best and interesting pop songs of all time

Definitely one of her WORST albums. I'll never understand the hype for this.

 

That being said, Triumph of a Heart and Oceania are stellar tracks. 

“Pleasure is All Mine”, “Where Is the Line” are my faves on this album. I really love the concept, she delivered. 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.