YouTube Views: What Happened?

Pop Art

So like...was there ever a detailed explanation of why YouTube views fell off so hard recently? I know videos from Latin American artists (and some K-Pop artists) still pull in big numbers, but there's a good number of huge hits that would have brought in 1-2B+ views at this point in their run 2-3 years ago but that are now struggling to get to 500-700M. I keep seeing people say "the algorithm changed" but why would it change so drastically? I feel like this kinda started around last summer, which doesn't seem like a coincidence to me since that's when Billboard lowered YouTube's weight on the Hot 100. Maybe labels stopped investing as much push into YouTube because of that? That would also explain it. ?

(Posted this a few weeks ago in the streaming thread, but no one really discussed so I'm opening it up to the general forum. :celestial5:)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pop Art

• -brian

• Bloodflowers.

• Cesar

People listen to Music on other streaming platforms 

Yeah, labels stopped caring about Youtube since Billboard lowered its power and they care more about Spotify/AM now. That's why western artists don't get as many views as they used to get.

In other words, payola goes to other streaming services now.

Edited by thatsmydemi

Youtube is basically dying for western artists/English songs tbh. People moved on to Other streaming platforms and even labels and artists themselves are focusing more on Spotify/AM..etc

Huge smashes struggle and take ages to reach 800m now, hell even 500m. Take a look at OTR, Sunflower, Shallow, 7 Rings and the rest of this past year’s smash hits. :deadbanana4:

200m-300m is considered really good for a hit now. :skull: 

5 minutes ago, getinthezone said:

I'm sure this is part of it, but it just seemed so...sudden to me. Like it clearly feels like most Western videos dropped hard in views beginning last summer. Why would people suddenly drop YouTube en masse like that? Maybe I'm just an idiot and over exaggerating but it just felt so sudden to me. :rip:

people moved from YouTube to other streaming services.

i legit only watch videos of artists that i care for.

1 minute ago, Scarface said:

4 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

Youtube is basically dying for western artists/English songs tbh. People moved on to Other streaming platforms and even labels and artists themselves are focusing more on Spotify/AM..etc

Huge smashes struggle and take ages to reach 800m now, hell even 500m. Take a look at OTR, Sunflower, Shallow, 7 Rings and the rest of this past year’s smash hits. :deadbanana4:

200m-300m is considered really good for a hit now. :skull: 

This is exactly what I'm talking about! But why did it happen all of a sudden? I feel like YouTube was still dominating streaming until around last summer when it's power (with most Western videos at least) suddenly dropped like a rock, which has always been so odd to me. If labels really did just start focusing more on Spotify/Apple Music, was like every huge video payola'd or something before? :skull: I know we throw that word around way too much on here but jeez this kinda smells like that a lil. :toofunny3:

Spotify is bigger right now so labels are investing in that, but why did Billboard lower YouTube's weight on the Hot 100 in the first place? :celestial5:

Payola moved from youtube to other streaming plaforms. 

Katy did some shady stuff with her Bon Appetit video a few months ago (remember when it was the 2nd or 3rd most watched for a day in 2019?) but overall, record companies aren't really into youtube as much right now.

YouTube is dying. It’s honestly what google deserves for being evil and greedy. 

14 minutes ago, getinthezone said:

YouTube content creators are dying and so are its viewers collectively, YouTube is cooling down as a spot for visual content while Twitter, Instagram and especially Tik Tok are taking off in the same department. It has kind of stopped generating viral content because other social platforms prefer users to stay on those platforms with their own in-app video content. And yes, that Billboard ratio changed labels’ preferences on pushing artists on it, instead they could maximize the results by pushing on Spotify/AM to ensure the better placement. 

A lot of people streamed videos multiple times to stream music, but now they can just use Spotify/AM instead.

10 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

Payola moved from youtube to other streaming plaforms. 

Katy did some shady stuff with her Bon Appetit video a few months ago (remember when it was the 2nd or 3rd most watched for a day in 2019?) but overall, record companies aren't really into youtube as much right now.

It was recommended after me and it got some views. It still gets a lot of views. There are some artist that did not give up making interesting videos.

14 minutes ago, E r o s said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about! But why did it happen all of a sudden? I feel like YouTube was still dominating streaming until around last summer when it's power (with most Western videos at least) suddenly dropped like a rock, which has always been so odd to me. If labels really did just start focusing more on Spotify/Apple Music, was like every huge video payola'd or something before? :skull: I know we throw that word around way too much on here but jeez this kinda smells like that a lil. :toofunny3:

I don’t think it was sudden tbh. Views have been slowing down for the last few years... they might’ve nose-dived last year but it started in 2017 imo.

2 minutes ago, Watson! said:

It was recommended after me and it got some views. It still gets a lot of views. There are some artist that did not give up making interesting videos.

interesting videos don't equal great views. 

1 minute ago, Chemical X. said:

I don’t think it was sudden tbh. Views have been slowing down for the last few years... they might’ve nose-dived last year but it started in 2017 imo.

That's true...I guess I'm just shocked at how quickly they've fallen off with no one really questioning it on here. When iTunes started dying, there were at least a few threads a day about its loss of relevance (still are occasionally), but barely any talk of this from what I've seen.

39 minutes ago, Scarface said:

This, everyone has a Spotify / AM subscription now a days in English countries so we don’t use it to listen to music

19 minutes ago, E r o s said:

That's true...I guess I'm just shocked at how quickly they've fallen off with no one really questioning it on here. When iTunes started dying, there were at least a few threads a day about its loss of relevance (still are occasionally), but barely any talk of this from what I've seen.

That’s true :cm: but people wanted to use iTunes receipts to brag about their faves. Maybe youtube wasn’t a good enough receipt for ATRL to care about :sistrens: or rather, it affected all western artists equally so no one had bragging rights anymore :sistrens: 

29 minutes ago, BadX said:

YouTube content creators are dying and so are its viewers collectively, YouTube is cooling down as a spot for visual content while Twitter, Instagram and especially Tik Tok are taking off in the same department. It has kind of stopped generating viral content because other social platforms prefer users to stay on those platforms with their own in-app video content. And yes, that Billboard ratio changed labels’ preferences on pushing artists on it, instead they could maximize the results by pushing on Spotify/AM to ensure the better placement. 

That’s not true at all. Major youtube creators are get collecting 3M-6M Jenna Marbles, Emma, Dolan Twins etc. even the ones that are cancelled like  James Charles. The West are just using youtube for the content creators rather than listening to music on there.

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

That’s not true at all. Major youtube creators are get collecting 3M-6M Jenna Marbles, Emma, Dolan Twins etc. even the ones that are cancelled like  James Charles. The West are just using youtube for the content creators rather than listening to music on there.

they are the ones who are left, but take a look at the bigger picture, there have been droves of YouTube vloggers stopped being active 

10 minutes ago, Caesar said:

They’re still Z-listers at best and out of the only two that are known (Jenna Marbles and James Charles), only one is known because they did YouTube. Americans only know James Charles because he shows up at every event and then he got exposed very publicly. 

OT: FaceBook video, Vimeo, Vlive, Instagram video, Twitter video, Twitch, etc. are all cutting in to their market and breaking up the monopoly. Plus, Spotify and AM are much, much better for just listening to music.

It's sad especially when artists delivered great latest videps such as Lana, Halsey, 5Sos and Mark Ronson/Miley colab

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.