Teena Marie Appreciation Thread

jakeisphat

This year I started listening to Teena more than I ever had in the past, and it occurred to me that I rarely ever see topics or replies that mention her on ATRL. I really don't feel she gets the credit she deserves considering how unique she was in her heyday and the fact that many remarkable artists and producers cite her as a core influence including Lenny Kravitz, Swiss Beats, Estelle, Missy Elliott, and Mark Ronson. Her music has been sampled by artists ranging from The Fugees to Beyoncé.  What are some of your favorite offerings from the Ivory Queen of Soul? This duet between her and Faith Evans + one of her most popular singles are my favorite: 

Also - from her debut until her death her voice remained superior, just look at this impromptu performance between her and Rick James, she sounds just as good as the original recording and they were asked to perform mid-show with no rehearsal, just 5 years before her death:

Edited by jakeisphat
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The taste you just exhibited is just phenomenal! :heart:

I can never get enough of Teena Marie. I practically grew up on her music. Irons in the Fire is literal perfection from top to bottom, and was entirely self-produced! She never received the grandiose accolades that her massive talents very much much warranted. Lady T could definitely use some more love.

My all-time favorite Teena song:

• Like 2

Much love to my soulful auntie :heart: she was immensely talented her music and pen are undeniable!

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7fcpa7tnehjccfxsx9ch7hojypy4blj1v8lfdg8b5&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Like 2

Fire & Desire, Portuguese Love and Out On A Limb are great for drunk karaoke :oh:

• Like 1

Truly one of the best singers ever! May she rest in peace :heart2:

• Like 1

she is a major queen with a really idiosyncratic singing style. so powerful without any formal training to boot. and to be embraced and invited to the "cookout" so to speak, so wholeheartedly, is pretty legendary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jakeisphat said:

it occurred to me that I rarely ever see topics or replies that mention her on ATRL

I mean you know what the demographics here are like so :rip: 

-------

I miss her so much, a lot of her classics were already posted but some of my other favs are:

• Like 1

Teena was a real talent.

• Like 1

I hear Square Biz all the time at work! Never ceases to make me groove while I’m getting stuff done it’s such a classic! Lovergirl is also a favorite of mine from her! I’ll have to do a full deep dive into her discography one of these days she seems like she was such a queen.

• Like 1

She was a marvelous musician. Her body of work is excellent. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 99sandthe2000s said:

Much love to my soulful auntie :heart: she was immensely talented her music and pen are undeniable!

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7fcpa7tnehjccfxsx9ch7hojypy4blj1v8lfdg8b5&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

one of the earlier chart songs by a female to include a rap break.

• Like 1

Square Biz is overrated. I personally prefer Portuguese Love over that: 

• Like 1

It Must Be Magic, Fire & Desire, Lovergirl, Deja Vu. a top tier artist and singer :priceless:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.