Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Jessica Simpson - In This Skin | Turns 20

Featured Replies

220px-In_This_Skin.png220px-Jessicasimsponinthisskindeluxe.png

 

Her first album where she took creative control, co-writing 10 of the 14 tracks.

 

It was a massive success in the US, although had a slow start, initially debuting at #10 with 64k sales and after five months barely scanned 500k. Sales picked up after the debut with "Newlyweds" and "With You" taking off on radio. 

 

After the re-release, it jumped from #16 to #2 on the Billboard 200 in March 2004 selling 160k copies, her highest weekly sales ever.

 

It ended up selling 2.4 million in one year and charted for 75 weeks, being certified 3x Platinum in the USA and was the 14th biggest album of 2004 there and was certified Platinum in Australia.

 

It spawned two top 20 hits including her first and only pop radio #1 single and top 5 Australian hit "With You" and "Take My Breath Away"

 

 

 

 

 

 

She really saved pop with this era 

Her album with creative control but with those tired covers lol

lets be honest, this was a massive flop, then it was saved by the reality show

but even then she failed to get a #1 while her sister had two #1 albums.

 

I like this record, but they should've stick with the original tracklist and release stuff like Forbidden Fruit, Everyday See You and My Way Home.

 

The covers were bed, she was nasaling her voice because the company wanted her to be more commercial (a.k.a britneys baby voice). This could have been way bigger if she played her cards right.

  • Author
1 hour ago, Antikythera said:

Her album with creative control but with those tired covers lol

lets be honest, this was a massive flop, then it was saved by the reality show

but even then she failed to get a #1 while her sister had two #1 albums.

 

I like this record, but they should've stick with the original tracklist and release stuff like Forbidden Fruit, Everyday See You and My Way Home.

 

The covers were bed, she was nasaling her voice because the company wanted her to be more commercial (a.k.a britneys baby voice). This could have been way bigger if she played her cards right.

At the end though it sold the same amount as "Autobiography", had 2 moderate hits vs. 1 big hit with "Pieces of Me" and she had a successful TV show on top of it.

 

Wow, 20 years old?!!!! I was 13 going on 14 when this album was released. I remember having two copies. The original and the rerelease. What a crazy time this was. 

Edited by tartarsauce

She really wasn’t selling like her peers. I never understood her music was really good and she was gorgeous. I just don’t understand why her music didn’t sell hell even her sister & Hilary Duff was out doing her easily.

Edited by Power love

1 hour ago, naval23 said:

At the end though it sold the same amount as "Autobiography", had 2 moderate hits vs. 1 big hit with "Pieces of Me" and she had a successful TV show on top of it.

 

Ashlee had one more #1 record and several top 20 hits.

 

Jessica died after These Boots.

 

Ashlee died on her third album and it was a good one, but she got pregnant right before promo.

 

Them both struggled in finding an identity and an audience. 

  • ATRL Administrator

My favorite Jessica album. The ballads on this album were top notch — I Have Loved You, Underneath, You Don’t Have to Let Go, Be — all still get plays to this day. 

I really loved this album. Was so hard stanning miss Simposon in europe back then, since she was practicaly unknown here. I also agree that album tracks like Be, were more superior then those two covers

The way With You take off and the way they ruined everything with those covers.

I wish she would make music again. She was at the top of her game with this album.  

18 minutes ago, Antikythera said:

Them both struggled in finding an identity and an audience. 

I don’t agree with this. I feel like Ashlee for sure had her audience & lane. She was just never going to be an artist that lasted forever. 
 

If you take away Saturday night live & her getting pregnant she still wouldn’t last all of that just accelerate at the process but she did amazing for what she offered unlike Jessica where ppl just weren’t interested

The standard edition of this album is great! The covers …not so much but the take my breath away video is beautiful. 
 

Loving You is the my favorite song

I LOVED this era :clap3: I was such a Jessica stan and still love her, I wish she'd return to pop music but I'm losing hope she ever will. Give us atleast one more era and tour queen please.


A Public Affair was such a flop era and that album wasn't good either.

Edited by JustHoran

omg I totally forgot Take My Breath Away existed wow :deadbanana: that just unboxed some deep deep deep memories 

Such a fresh album in the very spirit of the early-to-mid 00s. I Have Loved You is my favorite track!

This album and Couting Down the Days album by Natalie Imbruglia are my go-to early 2000s summer chill albums :jonnycat: imagine a collab between the two back then, whew

 

But "With You" was a hit in US and flop in Europe, while "Shiver" was a hit in Europe but a flop in the US. Australia was the only place where both Jessica and Natalie smashed in 2004 :dies:

 

I love original In This Skin album cover, her best album photoshoot ever!

 

On 8/19/2023 at 2:14 AM, Power love said:

I don’t agree with this. I feel like Ashlee for sure had her audience & lane. She was just never going to be an artist that lasted forever. 
 

If you take away Saturday night live & her getting pregnant she still wouldn’t last all of that just accelerate at the process but she did amazing for what she offered unlike Jessica where ppl just weren’t interested

I don't think SNL was responsible for her career going downhill. People forget, but she came back to SNL to promote her sophomore album and she sang live. The album went #1 and she had top 20 hits if I'm not mistaken. Her third album on the other hand, it was a departure from the Avril Lavigne cover days to a more mature sound and the lead flopped like there was no tomorrow even using a producer who was the moment (Timbaland), having a amazing video and promo tour in the media. Here I think the pregnancy contributed to it because even though "Little Miss Obsessive" had no video it break into the hot 100, this feels like if the record company pushed the material a little more she could've had a good era, but they couldn't do it if she wasn't focus on it and usually women are pregnant tend to want to be 100% focus on their future child.

 

You say she wasn't an artist that would last forever. This is why I say she didn't find an identity. If she were to continue being the poor man Avril Lavigne, she would end. She would last if she were able to keep her style current, like all pop girls do. Her last album was she and the record company trying to do that. But this move needs 100% focus and hard work because it is like she is promoting a debut all over again. It is like Britney with the album Britney or Xtina with Stripped or even Avril with Girlfriend where she ditched her "tomboy" "punk persona" for a more poppy girl one. 

 

In that regard, Jessica was better. It also helped that Jessica was constantly on the verge of flopping since her first album. She was never regard as an artist who would last. So, her taking on chances was a condition so that her career could go on. So she went for gospel virgin, to sexy Britney bond girl, to self-help personal pop, to sexy country pop girl, to country, to xmas diva... problem is none of those personalities stuck with people. So you have people who love "Irresistible", but don't quite like "Take My Breath Way" or people who love "With You" buit can't stand country and so on. In some ways she ditched her audience a bunch of times. 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.