Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Dinah Jane - "YA YA"

Featured Replies

Yeah this is not good. Sad cause she proved the's capable of releasing great jams like Heard It All Before and Lottery.

  • Replies 90
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • I will say - and please know that I mean this with every bit of respect and cultural sensitivity - this Polynesian angle needs tweaking.    Hang in there with me lol.   I myself am

  • Some of y'all are doing way too much.   The video is fine and actually exceeds my expectations in terms of her basically self-funding. I've always felt even cheap indie videos ought to give

  • 99sandthe2000s
    99sandthe2000s

    A 5H member actually releasing music  it's been a while for her so I'll definitely tune in and support!

I really liked Bottled Up and Missed A Spot. This and the rest...eh...  There was a song recently she teased that sounded better than this I believe. 

 

I actually think Dinah should try the EDM route!

Some of y'all are doing way too much.

 

The video is fine and actually exceeds my expectations in terms of her basically self-funding. I've always felt even cheap indie videos ought to give a certain gloss and sheen, which this does. The black outfit scenes are a lil sloppy, but that's more poor editing and, in being pedantic, her white sneakers stick out like a sore thumb. 

 

As for the song, it's basic but inoffensive. Kinda resembles Rihanna's You Da One in places. Nothing special, not terrible. 

 

No idea what she's hoping will come from this, but I will always applaud a tryer. 

I always thought she would be the next Beyonce when I first saw her on the X-Factor and be the most successful solo female out of the 5H girls, but I was wrong. I still think she needs to work with EDM producers. I guess in terms of popularity/hits, it would go:

 

Camila

Normani

Ally

Dinah

Lauren

EDM would be nice for her actually. But I doubt she would give it a chance considering she's going for this polynesian music route 

its a nice chill island bop

 

I like it *adds to playlist*

 

she needs TikTok to make this a hit

 

 

I will say - and please know that I mean this with every bit of respect and cultural sensitivity - this Polynesian angle needs tweaking. 

 

Hang in there with me lol.

 

I myself am a POC and I think she absolutely should speak up more about her culture, her background, and the issues she's faced not being able to spotlight it. She should.

 

But I've just got through the Zach Sang interview and it topically dominated a lot of it. 

 

I get the sense that it's the "angle" she wants to return with to give herself a point of difference. 

 

The (harsh) reality of the industry and selling a product (including artistry) is that you can't make a broad play for a big audience by over-dialing into a very very very small cultural niche.

 

I think the execs she referenced (as having told her to be more racially ambiguous) definitely put it in the wrong way and likely caused her internal harm and confusion. That said, there is a science to selling records and building an audience. 

 

While the Black and Latin members of 5H can more easily anchor their solo identities on that because those respective audiences are huge, Dinah doesn't have that with the Polynesian audience (which is comparatively tiny). 

 

In short, I think the smartest play for her would be to try and reheat the broad Urban-Pop sound and image of her initial run and sprinkle her cultural heritage into that. Essentially, build a big/ger, broader audience **first** because it will give her a bigger and more receptive base to push/celebrate her Polynesian roots more and more from there.

 

IMO, her centralizing a niche culture as her "main" selling point at a time when she's essentially back to square 1 doesn't strike as the best play. Audiences like to gravitate to what feels familiar (be that visually, musically, or culturally). Again, there really is a science to it. It'd help if the music was better too. 

 

Some of this definitely is "kitchen-table talk" and may fly over some's heads. Or maybe offend(?) But I just want her to win, while also understanding that there are unique issues to her that she must navigate to make any waves. 

It’s a no for me.

missed the spot was even better.

we want I don’t mind 🥲

That's.... it? :psyduck: Gurl just released a beat :bibliahh: It sounds very good, but what about the rest of the song?

 

Missed a Spot absolutely clears!

At least the video looks good.

Does anyone know the deal with “I Don’t Mind?”  Is she able to release that song since it was recorded and probably owned by HitCo?  It’s a smash waiting to happen, I don’t know why she refuses to release it after the fan demand. 

y'all can forget about I don't mind, she basically confirmed that everything coming out will be unheard prior to this in the zach sang interview, which btw was such a cute watch and really gave much more insight into what has happened thus far into her solo career.

 

ot: this is kinda a grower? it's definitely not as bad as I originally thought

13 hours ago, Mke1979 said:

Camila

Normani

Ally

Dinah

Lauren

Imagine being so delusional that you would place Lauren at the bottom when she’s had more commercial success than Dinah and Ally! 
 

Let’s live in reality!

8 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

I will say - and please know that I mean this with every bit of respect and cultural sensitivity - this Polynesian angle needs tweaking. 

 

Hang in there with me lol.

 

I myself am a POC and I think she absolutely should speak up more about her culture, her background, and the issues she's faced not being able to spotlight it. She should.

 

But I've just got through the Zach Sang interview and it topically dominated a lot of it. 

 

I get the sense that it's the "angle" she wants to return with to give herself a point of difference. 

 

The (harsh) reality of the industry and selling a product (including artistry) is that you can't make a broad play for a big audience by over-dialing into a very very very small cultural niche.

 

I think the execs she referenced (as having told her to be more racially ambiguous) definitely put it in the wrong way and likely caused her internal harm and confusion. That said, there is a science to selling records and building an audience. 

 

While the Black and Latin members of 5H can more easily anchor their solo identities on that because those respective audiences are huge, Dinah doesn't have that with the Polynesian audience (which is comparatively tiny). 

 

In short, I think the smartest play for her would be to try and reheat the broad Urban-Pop sound and image of her initial run and sprinkle her cultural heritage into that. Essentially, build a big/ger, broader audience **first** because it will give her a bigger and more receptive base to push/celebrate her Polynesian roots more and more from there.

 

IMO, her centralizing a niche culture as her "main" selling point at a time when she's essentially back to square 1 doesn't strike as the best play. Audiences like to gravitate to what feels familiar (be that visually, musically, or culturally). Again, there really is a science to it. It'd help if the music was better too. 

 

Some of this definitely is "kitchen-table talk" and may fly over some's heads. Or maybe offend(?) But I just want her to win, while also understanding that there are unique issues to her that she must navigate to make any waves. 

All of this. Spot on.

 

The interview made me like her more. Very genuine. I remember people on here calling her dumb but I think she just comes from humble beginnings and was really just finding her way. I, too, hope she makes it.

Edited by Exodus

I need y’all to stream this so we can get some Tongan bops! 
 

Spoiler

Also it probably would have done better if she had more monthly listeners :gaycat7:

 

Just heard the song and wtf, it’s such a chill bop???? A bit repetitive but not a bad song at all.

My biggest issue with this song is the same issue I have with a lot of Ally's recent music: why are 5H's two most powerful vocalists so heavily auto-tuned and manufactured in their solo music? :rip: I'm not saying Dinah needs to belt out a power ballad in every song in her discography, but this one in particular sounds SO robotic, it's like one of those Dinah AI vocal bots is "singing" it instead of her real voice singing it :deadbanana:

 

The way she talks about her upcoming music is intriguing so I'll stay perched, but this particular song did nothing to help make me excited.

Dinah...a vocalist? Lol...ya ya ya made it sound like she could barley hold a note. 

On 8/24/2023 at 8:57 PM, Cbreezy said:

I will say - and please know that I mean this with every bit of respect and cultural sensitivity - this Polynesian angle needs tweaking. 

 

Hang in there with me lol.

 

I myself am a POC and I think she absolutely should speak up more about her culture, her background, and the issues she's faced not being able to spotlight it. She should.

 

But I've just got through the Zach Sang interview and it topically dominated a lot of it. 

 

I get the sense that it's the "angle" she wants to return with to give herself a point of difference. 

 

The (harsh) reality of the industry and selling a product (including artistry) is that you can't make a broad play for a big audience by over-dialing into a very very very small cultural niche.

 

I think the execs she referenced (as having told her to be more racially ambiguous) definitely put it in the wrong way and likely caused her internal harm and confusion. That said, there is a science to selling records and building an audience. 

 

While the Black and Latin members of 5H can more easily anchor their solo identities on that because those respective audiences are huge, Dinah doesn't have that with the Polynesian audience (which is comparatively tiny). 

 

In short, I think the smartest play for her would be to try and reheat the broad Urban-Pop sound and image of her initial run and sprinkle her cultural heritage into that. Essentially, build a big/ger, broader audience **first** because it will give her a bigger and more receptive base to push/celebrate her Polynesian roots more and more from there.

 

IMO, her centralizing a niche culture as her "main" selling point at a time when she's essentially back to square 1 doesn't strike as the best play. Audiences like to gravitate to what feels familiar (be that visually, musically, or culturally). Again, there really is a science to it. It'd help if the music was better too. 

 

Some of this definitely is "kitchen-table talk" and may fly over some's heads. Or maybe offend(?) But I just want her to win, while also understanding that there are unique issues to her that she must navigate to make any waves. 

I agree. Another example of this was Nicole Scherzinger’s attempt at an hawaiian angle narrative with Puakenikeni and we all know how that went

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.