Marina - what went wrong?

Kern

3 hours ago, halcyonday said:

everyone dropped her when she turned into a political karen with cringe lyrics.

she's not cool.

not interesting.

not successful.

there's nothing to stan and the music is horrific. probably the cringiest lyricist ever. 

ain't ya a Katy Perry stan tho?

sDXbJcJ.gif

she's fine tbh I'm just not interested in what she has to say at this point

• Haha 6

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skestina

• The7thStranger

• Kern

• Onyxmage

2 hours ago, stupidjock said:

Someone compared Marina to Kate Bush?

sDXbJcJ.gif

Yes since her early days in 2008 where you been?

sDXbJcJ.gif

• Haha 1

People do the most on her tbh. I get not liking her MARINA (without the diamonds) material but some people are acting like they didn't bop to Electra Heart.

Her first 3 albums are good imo.

the sheikh (one of the richest men on earth) who killed thousands of gay men and bought the campiest hotel in LA sabotaged her

atrlprof400.thumb.jpg.7fba4f14dcc62ec571

• Haha 5

ADIAML remains an immaculate album so she did something right 

megan-thee-stallion-sushi.thumb.gif.907b748dc71c4714c2301824fe83bc33.gif

• Thanks 1

It's a combo of her taking massive breaks, not doing promo, probably not having budget to do promo, being a recluse, not interacting with her fans, letting her writing skills slip, and treating her music career as a hobby.  

On the other side, we have Charli XCX, who was once considered her contemporary, selling out her biggest shows yet.  It just goes to show what happens when one person is really dedicated to their career and the other... isn't.

Edited by Archetype
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was there for EH and even though her pictures did good on tumblr it wasn't like a smash era?? She was never very successful 

L+F got wrong. Nothing else.

Your faves don't even have a FROOT in them (self-written, co-produced with one [1] person). 

We'll keep following.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Onyxmage said:

Marina's music has been a satirical reflection of how messed up society is since her first album. What are you even talking about? :deadbanana2:

Taking about LOVE + FEAR onwards, her attitude very much changed and then massively so from Ancient Dreams - it's too heavily political but in such an overly obvious and ignorant way. There's nothing wrong with touching on political issues, especially in a tongue in cheek way which is fun (like with TFJ), but not in such an abrasive way her attitude has been the last few years. It's just hard to take her serious these days. 

When she dropped "and the Diamonds" and released Love + Fear. 

I really feel like she had some writer or artistic director behind her on the first two/three albums that she lost cause the drop in quality is crazy. Froot was still good but imo a big step down from Family Jewels and Electra Heart. After that everything has been a hollow attempt :deadbanana2: maybe she just lost her touch, took her finger off the pulse, idk

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

16 hours ago, Disconnect said:

JK nothing really went "wrong". She was just never meant to be a pop star and she ended up not following that route.

Besides that, she looks gorgeous right now and seems happier than ever so I wouldn't really even consider her a failure. She's just and alt/indie girl who made 1 pop album which wasn't successful enough to follow that path.

While yes that's true, following along her career trajectory there's a lot of complicated twists and turns, a lot of assumptions made about what fueled her decisions and ultimately led to her having another go at popstardom in 2017-2019... 

but at the end of the day, she made her money, moved to Malibu, got a lot of therapy and basically grew out of the traits that most found relatable. It's just a fact that money can buy stability (and by that qualifier, happiness) and it turns out what most people found most interesting about her was how she processed her stress and anxiety in her creative output. 

With a comfortable, mundane existence... She just ran out of things to say lyrically, and it's a shame. I still enjoy Ancient Dreams a lot and I think she is still a wonderful composer of alt-pop, but she's a totally different artist.  

• Like 3

she started singing

• Thumbs Down 4

1 hour ago, Forestboy said:

Taking about LOVE + FEAR onwards, her attitude very much changed and then massively so from Ancient Dreams - it's too heavily political but in such an overly obvious and ignorant way. There's nothing wrong with touching on political issues, especially in a tongue in cheek way which is fun (like with TFJ), but not in such an abrasive way her attitude has been the last few years. It's just hard to take her serious these days. 

Did Mans World trigger you or something? :dies: Ancient Dreams in Modern Land felt like a very natural evolution from her FROOT Album. I'm happy that she didn't get comfortable and make another tongue in cheek album. She's 38 years old she's not some lost 20 something anymore. She had things to say and she said them. :clap3:

Edited by Onyxmage
  • Like 1

Man. You all really want her to stay unhappy, don't you?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Onyxmage said:

Did Mans World trigger you or something? :dies: Ancient Dreams in Modern Land felt like a very natural evolution from her FROOT Album. I'm happy that she didn't get comfortable and make another tongue in cheek album. She's 38 years old she's not some lost 20 something anymore. She had things to say and she said them. :clap3:

Absolutely not, but to a point when she's just making songs that are entirely political it's quite cringe. She's a talent and she can do better. 

She got comfortable and way less relatable, it happens to a lot of our faves as they get older. :gaycat3:

She ditched the diamonds 

it went downhill from there 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 3:54 AM, Onyxmage said:

It's like how people make fun of Madame Web for having the most obvious and overly descriptive script… that is how Marina writes now.  Love + Fear was basically Marina saying "Oh isn't it terrible how [x], hmm okay that's all for now.”  

Edited by Archetype

her first two albums were iconic, but then the quality went down tbh... I did however enjoy her last album (only listened to her 4th album once, an the 3rd one maybe 3 times)

23 hours ago, Archetype said:

It's like how people make fun of Madame Web for having the most obvious and overly descriptive script… that is how Marina writes now.  Love + Fear was basically Marina saying "Oh isn't it terrible how [x], hmm okay that's all for now.”  

Marina has always been critical of society and unrealistic standards.  The switch up because people dont like her current music for whatever reason is ridiculous. :ace: Ancient Dreams in  Modern Land is a great album. 

1 hour ago, Onyxmage said:

Marina has always been critical of society and unrealistic standards.  The switch up because people dont like her current music for whatever reason is ridiculous. :ace: Ancient Dreams in  Modern Land is a great album. 

Yes we know, but her pen game got extremely weak.  Comparing it to her first few albums and her current critiques are exactly how I wrote.  It's very one dimensional at times and it's just like, okay… that's it?  

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.