Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (โ‹ฎ) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

What was Britney's Circus era like?

Featured Replies

I was very young when it happened so I don't have any memory of it. What was it like? I'd love to read detailed experiences and stuff about it:bird:

  • Replies 43
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • It was a "she's back!" kind of era, especially cause Blackout was a bit ignored or even mocked due to the VMA 2007, and how she had "lost it". ย  Still think this era could've been MUCH bigge

  • Womanizer was huge

  • AvadaKedavra
    AvadaKedavra

    People had so many expectations for a Comeback after the breakdown and they were fullfilled with Womanizer specially cause the Joseph Khan directed video was amazing and she looked smoking hot.....but

2 minutes ago, orange22 said:

It was very much โ€œwe love her againโ€ tbhย 

Was it? I was living in Netherlands during this time and at least around me people still thought of her as crazy etc etc but womanizer was a big hit.ย 

Just now, Avenger said:

Was it? I was living in Netherlands during this time and at least around me people still thought of her as crazy etc etc but womanizer was a big hit.ย 

Americans are crazy as isย so I feel like most people were fine once she was blonde againย :deadbanana2:ย but there was still a lot of that too

I didnโ€™t attend the tour but entrance was epic!

ย 

Her record-breaking 8 night sold out London residency :clap3:

Edited by americanshameless

It was a "she's back!" kind of era, especially cause Blackout was a bit ignored or even mocked due to the VMA 2007, and how she had "lost it".

ย 

Still think this era could've been MUCH bigger for her, radio was finally on her side as well as the public, she could've easily pushed for 6 singles.

People had so many expectations for a Comeback after the breakdown and they were fullfilled with Womanizer specially cause the Joseph Khan directed video was amazing and she looked smoking hot.....but then the Live performances arrived and everyone noticed how her performing talent was not the same as before. She clearly had some real bad anxiety issues and was not as confident as before.ย  Some people were apologetic about it...They were like....She's trying to get better. Give her some time. She's slowly goin back to her old self.

Those performances were great tho.ย  ย Love the production.ย 

The aesthethic of the album was well-liked but some people said it was a bit cheap. The colors-borders
The album did it great for a comeback and was the foundation for the Femme Fatale success

The album got good reviews by the pop fans. Everyone loved it. It has some real catchy songs and everyone saw it as the lighter version of Blackout.ย 

In that time Britney biggest nemesis was not Xtina anymore.
The fanbases were fighting with Rihanna. She was the biggest threath to britney and there were so many stan battles. Specially after the 2007 situation where Rihanna is laughing with her VMA performance.ย 
Of course the Xtina fans were behind the walls throwin stones too :laugh:

With the off the record Documentary people were also concerned....Everyone knew something was wrong but we were confused with it.
So many thought the illuminati had control of her and she was very depressed by that reason :gaycat:
i remember watching and feeling like something evil was goin behind the scenes

I was 14-15 at the time. I also experienced katy-gaga-kesha-bieber early career and more....
I remember also the britney breakdown and how big it was......It was talked everywhere and im from southamerica.
Imagine how things were in the States

The breakdown was a really sad moment. We all thought she would be dead or some people were rooting for her death

I even have this picture saved from that time in my pop moments folder. Dont get mad.
Just to show the type of memes people used to make at that time

44L12Gf.jpgย H5q6hcQ.gif

Edited by AvadaKedavra

Full of hits she looked pretty and Circus the song was the bop of the yearย 

ย 

If U Seek Amy would have been a tiktok smash

  • Author
5 minutes ago, skizzo said:

It was a "she's back!" kind of era, especially cause Blackout was a bit ignored or even mocked due to the VMA 2007, and how she had "lost it".

ย 

Still think this era could've been MUCH bigger for her, radio was finally on her side as well as the public, she could've easily pushed for 6 singles.

I agree too. This era despite the hit it was, still had a LOT of potential of being bigger than what it was. If it had been extended till 2010, it would've been 5x bigger.

It was fascinating as a fan to watch but incredibly bittersweet to think of now for obvious reasons (being under the whip of evil Jamie Spears for starters).

1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

I agree too. This era despite the hit it was, still had a LOT of potential of being bigger than what it was. If it had been extended till 2010, it would've been 5x bigger.

They had endless possibilities, including a Circus re-release in 2009/2010 pushing for Quicksand featuring Gaga as a single, and then another bonus track following that. Radar should've been a Blackout single, by the time it came out it was super old news, people had already heard that song for 2 years...

She was played on radio a lot where I was

tbh the only song I dont remember getting much spins, was Kill The Lights (altho I dont know if it was even pushed)

ย 

she was still a queenie of controversy, with the "If U Seek Amy" fiasco lmaooo

but I remember Womanizer was the song that drove her into the GP's good eye again
Circus was liked by everyone (I thought of it as a bit boring for my tastes tbh.. but that's why it was the most universally liked imo)

ย 

ย 

ย 

As someone said, she really was at the "we love her again" moment

Everyone was rooting for her, especially given what happened the previous years (but also because she served quality :foxaylove2:)

and the new artists back then (which are some of the biggest pop gals now), were showing her lots of love and respect :cm:

12 minutes ago, orange22 said:

It was very much โ€œwe love her againโ€ tbhย 

Absolutly. It felt like a 'healing era' from the hit packed yet problematic Blackout era. The whole aesthetic was also much cleaner, and for a casual listener like myself, it really felt that she's in her prime. Womanizer and Circus were absolutely huge in Europe, and even the flirtiness of IUSA was much lighter and more subtle than anything from Blackout. That being said, I think Womanizer was a bridge between Blackout and Circus, aesthetically it was much closer to Blackout, and the video was much more sexual.

To me, in a way, Circus felt as the true lead single, or at least a single that was carrying the actual aesthetic of the whole project, even though Womanizer was the smash single of the era. So I feel like that biggest image shift happened mid-era.

3 wasnโ€™t really part of the Circus era I donโ€™t think but I remember people really gagged for thatย :gaycatney4:

It was ok. Singles and videos were great. Album was kinda disappointing after blackout. The live performances were a huge letdownย 

  • Author
Just now, skizzo said:

They had endless possibilities, including a Circus re-release in 2009/2010 pushing for Quicksand featuring Gaga as a single, and then another bonus track following that. Radar should've been a Blackout single, by the time it came out it was super old news, people had already heard that song for 2 years...

Didn't Shatter Glass chart despite not being a single? I reckon it would've been big if the era was extended and it was made a single. Quicksand would've been so good :( If Unusual You was promoted, its experimental nature would've impressed critics.ย 

I still think about what if Britney, Gaga, and Beyonce were on 'Telephone' (song & mv). I so wish this was the caseย :deadbanana2:

  • Author
2 minutes ago, orange22 said:

3 wasnโ€™t really part of the Circus era I donโ€™t think but I remember people really gagged for thatย :gaycatney4:

It should've been. It sounds like such a 'Circus' track. Perhaps it was made for the album and never passed beyond the initial stages, but the label saw an opportunity to promote her 2009 compilation with the song. Either way, at least it was released and got Britney another no.1 hit :clap3:

1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

Didn't Shatter Glass chart despite not being a single? I reckon it would've been big if the era was extended and it was made a single. Quicksand would've been so good :( If Unusual You was promoted, its experimental nature would've impressed critics.ย 

I still think about what if Britney, Gaga, and Beyonce were on 'Telephone' (song & mv). I so wish this was the caseย :deadbanana2:

Yes it charted on downloads alone. Could've definitely been a single, or Out From Under if they wanted a slower song/ballad after several uptempos - although I think if they wanted to slow things down a bit, Unusual You would've been perfect since it was a different sound for her, and a more mature style of lyricism.

24 minutes ago, Avenger said:

Was it? I was living in Netherlands during this time and at least around me people still thought of her as crazy etc etc but womanizer was a big hit.ย 

I live in the Netherlands too and during Circus everyone very much used her music again. It was during Femme Fatale where I felt like the attitude was very much like "oh she's trying to have a comeback again?"ย 

Oh I was quite young too but I remember bopping to the title track a lot. Circus (song) >>>>> Womanizer imo

6 minutes ago, orange22 said:

@AvadaKedavraย ***** THE PHOTO ???ย :deadbanana4:

Oh yes people used to make fun of her with all those bald head pictures. It was horrible i remember.ย  Her bullying was a level above everyone in the industry
I put it there just educationally wise to show how were the memes of that time. I remember people doin all kinds of things and gifs
Actually we were nastier with celebs before if we think about it :gaycat2:ย glad that type of bullying is not allowed anymore.
Perez hilton was totally disgustin to them. I didnt know english back then but i remember his site and all the mockery

Even in high schools-Jobs. Bullying was more common in the past. If youre gay was also harder
Brighter in some ways but also darker darker times.

Edited by AvadaKedavra

It was really fun! Us fans used go wait for the exclusives from her official website which used to be a blog before. I remember it being interactive leading up to the album.ย 

It was truly remarkable that mere months earlier the general consensus from the media and GP was that she was on death's door and that her career would never recover... for her to bounce back so quickly and triumphantly with a #1 single and a #1 album that debuted with over 500k in the US, the second biggest opening week of that year, and then for her to go on to have one of the highest-grossing tours of 2009. Of course, all of this isn't that surprising that Britney could achieve it, but more just because she had been so counted out and was seen as an underdog despite all of her success because of the recent events of that time in her life.

ย 

Looking back on that era now though is a complicated thing, because while as a fan I'm proud of her for what she achieved with it, I also know that she really was forced into it and that the era shouldn't have even happened. She should have only returned to music and performing if and when she wanted to on her own terms.

ย 

6 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

It should've been. It sounds like such a 'Circus' track. Perhaps it was made for the album and never passed beyond the initial stages, but the label saw an opportunity to promote her 2009 compilation with the song. Either way, at least it was released and got Britney another no.1 hit :clap3:

3 wasn't recorded for Circus. It was recorded in July 2009 while she was in Stockholm for the Circus Tour, during the same sessions she recorded I Wanna Go and Criminal

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions โ†’ Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.