General & Casual Politics Thread

Espresso

Please refer to the updated Civics Rules & Guidelines section that the mods are in the middle of finalizing to go further depth but here goes....

The mods have decided as this forum approaches the U.S. midterms and beyond to address several concerns and goals raised amongst themselves and other members of political discussion here by creating a new space - first and foremost for those disillusioned by heavy debate but also for those that want to follow events as they break and engage in casual conversation about it that's gotten lost in the shuffle from the former.

I personally was not part of that initial conversation or suggestions but mods reached out privately and I agreed to be transferred the OP for the thread. To be clear, none of the ground rules and future moderation here will be done from me specifically but the mods per usual.

Both casual conversations and heavy debate on subjects relevant to the Civics section are welcome and legitimate. However, ATRL wants to ensure that this section is safe and welcome for members who want to participate in both of these modes.

To that end....

Welcome to the General and Casual Politics Thread.

This thread is NOT meant to allow for intense back-and-forth discussion. Please reserve debates for the other Politics Base Threads. This thread will (in theory) be moderated much more heavily than the other Politics Base Threads to emphasize this. Sometimes it is natural that debate may spark up in this and other threads meant for casual conversation. This is likely to be an awkward tightrope that the mods will actively work on in time. Please be flexible with them as they all get the hang of it. Mods are planning to adjust the title of the US Politics Thread to better distinguish it from this one but the specific term just hasn't been finalized yet. 

Please feel free to ask questions here in the meantime as they adjust and they will answer what they can. Speaking just for myself, I will be posting most of the news bulletins I posted in the prior thread here from now on which tended to distract and jump away from a lot of the intense discussions on other political subjects that were already happening.

If this thread is a success, great, and if it flops, that's fine too, they'll reassess likely after this midterm political cycle is over. For now, let's see how things end up.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kassi

• Espresso

• ClashAndBurn

• GhostBox

RESERVED POST

(Will be editing frequently with announcements or bulletins re: events/light discussion here

if the pages are moving quickly. Leaving rules in the OP until likely late September when midterms GOTV begins)

Aug. 28th 7:30am EST: 

Hey y'all :celestial:

Much like Ukraine, it could lonely with just my news post tweets here for a while that hopefully won't freeze up things with too many 503s but I've had permission to keep doing that from the mods as I don't like to do written summaries with links - it loses a lot of context :rip: 

But I find doing just one tweet per post (unless they're on the same chain or related in which case it'll be multiple per post) helps with that lag so that'll be how I do it here.

As people inevitably gravitate towards the other thread for a while this could be an awkward balance and again, this could flop, but we'll see what happens closer to the fall.

Aug. 31st 4:30pm EST:

Hey everyone :frown:

Until traffic picks up here hopefully just before the midterms (which I'm starting to doubt will happen) I'm transferring my tweet posts relating to U.S. politics to the other thread permanently and will go back to posting there on that subject, despite it distracting from the other debates happening.

The original goal of the mods to better a flow and encourage different kinds of conversation has been rendered almost useless thus far given the 503 problems I went into further detail on in the Rules thread y'all can respond to there. In the meantime, feel free to do what you'd like here. :doc:

Sept. 6th 9:00am EST:

After resolving several issues on prioritization of pinned threads and expectations going forward, and despite lower traffic here for now, I've decided to go back to posting here regularly. We'll see what happens. :coffee2: 

• ATRL Official

ATRL Feedback Reserved Post.

Love this thread. It’ll likely be my new home as I highlight all the good things Democrats are doing and weirdo actions Republicans are taking.

Never had a desire to debate reality. It just came with the territory in the other thread. :gaycat1:

Other than news posts, what types of posts are allowed? I'm guessing that any political discussion is alright as long as it doesn't incite hateful arguments (like the COVID and Ukraine megathreads)?

• ATRL Moderator
3 hours ago, Jotham said:

Other than news posts, what types of posts are allowed? I'm guessing that any political discussion is alright as long as it doesn't incite hateful arguments (like the COVID and Ukraine megathreads)?

Light conversation. Sharing of polls, recent news, and discussion of election results. If a conversation becomes a bit more heated and longwinded, we would prefr you do that in the Debates Welcome thread(s). For now, we’re still trying to work out a clear distinction between this thread and the others. But, we just know there is an interest from some members to casually and intermittently discuss politics without having intense debate. While other members might want to flesh out their views and opinions with more meat—while welcoming back and forth. 

Hope that is helpful.

Are non-US political topics allowed in this thread?

On 8/28/2022 at 10:20 AM, Espresso said:

:deadbanana2:

The way it's a quarter-inch worm anyway :toofunny3:

• ATRL Moderator
13 hours ago, Jotham said:

Are non-US political topics allowed in this thread?

Yes.

This will probably be the thread I visit more often now. 

Gonna try posting here more now. I've been very busy with my personal life lately so I haven't been as active as I'd hoped.