Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Chromatica is kinda great; I'm surprised.

Featured Replies

So I just listened to Chromatica for the first time this week, and I was actually surprisingly shocked to discover how good it was. Yes sure there are some clunky lyrics here and there and the production can feel a little bit dated at times and some song concepts feel forced, but when examined as more than the sum of its parts, it actually holds up really well. It's very obvious that Gaga was suffering from a lot of mental and other personal issues while working on the album, and the approach she takes on this album feels very sincere. It's hard to split the difference between emotionally resonant music and the dance pop genre Gaga takes on with Chromatica, but she does so convincingly, and in a way that makes everything feel resonant and anthemic at the same time. I feel like Gaga and her fandom's reputation precedes them, and as a consequence deters people from wishing to try out her music, or giving it a fair chance. When I went in without any such perceptions, I could definitely sense what she was trying to achieve with the album, and couldn't help but applaud her for it.

 

Some of my favourites on the album are Stupid Love, Rain On Me, Free Woman, Fun Tonight, Plastic Doll, Replay, Sine From Above, and 1000 Doves. What are your thoughts on the album? Why do you think it's so polarising among the gays?

 

 

Edited by ithinkheknowsoutsold

  • Replies 68
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chromatic would have been great if it was released in 2013. 

It's a legitimately great pop record but people don't like "monsters" so literally anything Gaga releases is held to an unrealistic standard. She's not the only one this forum does this too, but I think it's the worst for her. I think she gets critiqued WAY too harshly here. 

 

Anyway, my favorites are Alice, Rain on Me, Free Woman, 911, Enigma, Sine from Above, and Babylon.

It's good but it could have been great with more exciting production. 

It's her best album since Born This Way. 

 

Songs are short and sweet, tracklisting isn't inflated, cohesive sound, the way the album is separated in Acts with orchestral interludes, zero ballads and all BANGERS 

It's definitely not as bad as Artpop, Cheek, Joanne etc and it has some nice pop songs like 911 or Babylon ! 

It's alright but it would have definitely benefited from better production. 

Alice should have been the lead single followed by Rain On Me, Sour Candy and finally Babylon

Edited by ucanfma

It’s listenable. 
 

Bloodclot still deserves to be exiled though. 

Well hello, of course it is. Stan world/atrl just love to **** on Gaga at any chance so you will never see them appreciate anything she does

I don’t think it’s polarizing, I think that label comes in retrospect from stans being upset that the promotion after release didn’t go as they hoped for. It’s a real fun record to listen to. 

IMO the album is decent. The lyrics are great for the most part, the production brings it down A LOT. 

 

My faves are Rain On Me, Free Woman (Rina Sawayama's version), 911, Replay and maaaybe Enigma. The only songs I use are those and Stupid Love which sucks but it's kinda addicting.

I think it’s a solid album too! Not sure why it gets so much hate.

I agree with OP. Chromatica is by far the most personal project Miss Fad has ever gifted us yet. The production might have been handled better as it might sound clunky and underproduced at times but overall I don't think many artists can approach the darkness a mental illness can bring into your life in such a straightforward and sincere manner.

 

If you put the best versions of the songs from both Chromatica and Dawn of Chromatica into a single album then it makes a 10 out of 10 record

41 minutes ago, ucanfma said:

Alice should have been the lead single followed by Rain On Me, Sour Candy and finally Babylon

Taste ! This is how things should ve been done :shakeno:

 

OT: It's an amazing record and the critics agreed so we could care less about some ATRL losers think :cm:

 

ssschhhh, Its ATRL you are not supposed to praise Gaga music.

 

TF,TFM and BTW are dated

AP, Joanne and C are bad

ASIB is snoozing soccer mom music 

its a good record, just felt a bit uninspired production wise and brought nothing new/ inventive that we haven't already seen her do 

The album has always been good and it has some career highlights. 911, Rain On Me, Babylon and Replay are among her top tier songs. :michael:

 

I just consider it very middle-of-the-road because some decisions (production mainly, song lengths) prevented it from flourishing even more to reach its fullest potential. Some songs needed more time to breathe organically (another verse/a middle 8) and some suffer from poor and basic instrumentals that bring them down (Free Woman and Fun Tonight). I really wish they went harder with the 90s influence because Free Woman's demo had potential to be one of her best songs ever.

 

Dawn of Chromatica is fantastic too, you should check it out because it elevated some songs to me. :siptea:

Edited by State of Grace.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.