• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• popularmoonlight

• Flare

• AFullMoonlight

• orange22

6 minutes ago, WheresJay said:

Some of you might need to check how

much you’ve projected her to be this clean, perfect, above it all figure when she’s never said she desired that and has always been vocal about her desire to work with him. She’s been telling everyone who she is but for some reason, everyone wishes to believe something else and be shocked. 

Also, artists do cameos in other artists videos. Why does this suddenly make her look weak or without a career? No one said that about Usher in Naughty Girl or Tyrese in Angel Of Mine. 

Are you saying she ain’t ****? :dies:

also a cameo is fine but Normani is teetering on full-time video vixen/IG honey at this point so I don’t know how it’s that wise for her to keep doing these cameos with not much of her own to show. The girl has two (2) truly solo records in her catalog. 3 if we don’t count Calvin on Slow Down.

31 minutes ago, WheresJay said:

Some of you might need to check how

much you’ve projected her to be this clean, perfect, above it all figure when she’s never said she desired that and has always been vocal about her desire to work with him. She’s been telling everyone who she is but for some reason, everyone wishes to believe something else and be shocked. 

Jay I respect you but this is wrong. Normani HERSELF projected herself as perfect, clean, pro-black women, etc.

Look at her IG feed, she calculates EVERYTHING. I distinctly remember the exchange with Ebro & Rosenberg on her last Hot 97 interview and they told her to chill and she doesn’t need to try so hard to be perfect on social media with her image. She wasn’t having it at all, then made up an excuse of “being a black woman in entertainment”.  Yet goes to dance with CHRIS BROWN (top 5 anti-black women artists)?

That’s just beyond deranged and inconsistent. The fans on Twitter or elsewhere, have the right to call her out and abandon her. This particular move makes no sense and does nothing much for her career (it ain’t even Chris Brown’s current single being pushed by RCA :deadbanana4:).

Also the “RCA MADE ME DO IT” excuse is going to age like milk if Candy Paint doesn’t start getting pushed within the next 2 weeks by that very same RCA. By the 3rd week, nobody will even remember this moment and all this “buzz” would have only hurt much of her fanbase with little commercial benefits to offset it.

If this is apart of a larger marketing strategy, then that needs to happen a lot faster than the rate it’s going at now. 

EDIT: And @shelven is 100% right. That’s why articles on this situation are now being published with a similar notion 

Edited by Flare

2 minutes ago, Flare said:

Jay I respect you but this is wrong. Normani HERSELF projected herself as perfect, clean, pro-black women, etc.

Look at her IG feed, she calculates EVERYTHING. I distinctly remember the exchange with Ebro & Rosenberg on her last Hot 97 interview and they told her to chill and she doesn’t need to try so hard to be perfect on social media with her image. She wasn’t having it at all, then made up an excuse of “being a black woman in entertainment”.  Yet goes to dance with CHRIS BROWN (top 5 anti-black women artists)?

That’s just beyond deranged and inconsistent. The fans on Twitter or elsewhere, have the right to call her out and abandon her. This particular move makes no sense and does nothing much for her career (it ain’t even Chris Brown’s current single being pushed by RCA :deadbanana4:).

Also the “RCA MADE ME DO IT” excuse is going to age like milk if Candy Paint doesn’t start getting pushed within the next 2 weeks by that very same RCA. By the 3rd week, nobody will even remember this moment and all this “buzz” would have only hurt much of her fanbase with little commercial benefits to offset it.

If this is apart of a larger marketing strategy, then that needs to happen a lot faster than the rate it’s going at now. 

I don’t believe she’ll blame anything on RCA and I don’t believe that she can’t still be pro-women because of her work with him. Again, no one is saying this about HER, Chloe, etc. They all get to move on and be pro-women. Why is it so heavily controversial when she does it? 

6 minutes ago, WheresJay said:

I don’t believe she’ll blame anything on RCA and I don’t believe that she can’t still be pro-women because of her work with him. Again, no one is saying this about HER, Chloe, etc. They all get to move on and be pro-women. Why is it so heavily controversial when she does it? 

Spoiler

HER is not pro anything but buying awards and barely has an “image” outside wearing shades and playing music. Chloe Bailey is barely an infant in the solo parts of the music industry. She’s barely established and her brand is all over the place. Those girls are not relevant to the discussion. 

Side note: Chloe gets dragged all the time for a variety of things including that CB situation. 

Normani has been in the industry long enough to understand certain things. Normani has been crafting her brand and image like a surgeon for many years even in the 5H days. She is not a rookie, and shouldn’t be treated as such. Her answers in interviews are media trained to the MAX. She is fully aware of what she’s doing at all times and is a grown woman. 

These things matter a lot to the context of why Normani will get held to a standard that others are not. Also, this is Normani’s base. Stop mentioning these other girls, they don’t matter when we’re discussing the person who did something messy 5 minutes ago. 

Edited by Flare

Y’all really think saying “Why nobody got mad when Chris collabed with [insert random artist like Ava Max]” is going to be the solution?

Normani did what she did, and she has to live with that consequence whatever it may ultimately shake out to. My only hope is that she just doesn’t address it and drops Candy Paint so we as a society can move on completely. 

9 minutes ago, Flare said:

Y’all really think saying “Why nobody got mad when Chris collabed with [insert random artist like Ava Max]” is going to be the solution?

Normani did what she did, and she has to live with that consequence whatever it may ultimately shake out to. My only hope is that she just doesn’t address it and drops Candy Paint so we as a society can move on completely. 

I'm sorry but isn't it a bit hypocritical for you to support Nicki's music but act moralistic about Normani supporting Chris's music?

Something is off with the selective outrage when Chris's career has been thriving on white-owned platforms like iHeart, Spotify, and YouTube etc for the past 13 years but there's all this rage towards Normani like her connection to him isn't tangential to what happened over a decade and 100s of high profile collabs ago.

It's like some of you thought she was supposed to be "better than the other black industry people" because she came out of a group with white Hispanics.

Rihanna herself did songs with Chris. Give it a rest. I'm not a Chris fan but the video was hot and she's been a fan of him openly since 5H.

It's easier for some of you to avoid Chris Brown contradictions because you don't listen to urban radio, watch BET, or involve yourself in black culture.

Social media has created this monster of parasocial relationships between stans and their faves. 

I respect all of you who by felt hurt in the way you did by what happened, however It isn’t really necessary to think that deep into it considering all the other points related to this situation (label mates, similar genres, profile building). I understand the sentiment but we still following someone who’s in an industry and possibly doing what she got to do. I was pretty mad about music a few days ago and felt this whole situation wasn’t necessary but now - it’s done. Nothing we can change about it besides deciding to distance yourselves from her (which I think everyone is entitled to do whatever they want). Normani is not a 1 sided person, and is in the end, just a celebrity/singer/socialite/entertainer or whatever you want to call her. 

Drop Candy Paint now !!! 

2 hours ago, Flare said:

You summed it up in a much shorter way than I tried to :laugh: I'm sorry but trying to convince us that cozying up to Chris Brown isn't directly contradictory to the type of image Normani has presented from 2018 onwards is borderline gaslighting. Nobody's saying Normani's held to a higher standard because she came from a primarily white girl group - we're saying she's held to a higher standard because she set that standard for herself. She has constantly talked about wanting to break the mold that black women in music often get shoved into and how she doesn't want to be boxed into the same stereotypes that all black girls in the R&B/urban space suffer. Becoming Chris Brown's latest video model is egregiously contradictory to that.

And the idea that she "had to" work with Chris Brown to help her break into the R&B space is asinine because this is the same girl who never releases music. If you're so worried about breaking into R&B, how about you put out more than one song a year instead of worrying about who you need to make out with in a music video? :deadbanana2: :deadbanana2:

I'm going to stop talking about this topic now because I don't think anyone's going to change their minds on this - the people who are going to look at her differently now because of this choice will continue to do so, and the people who think this whole thing is overblown will continue to think that. Like I said in my previous post, my only hope is that we can at least agree to cool it with the abrasive comments about how this is all "performative outrage" or "meltdown essays." Last thing I want to see is this fandom slowly devolve into the Barbz where every problematic thing their fave does basically gets laughed at and anyone who tries to call it out gets attacked.

21 hours ago, WheresJay said:

I said it and it’s true. They sent DUI to DSP’s to receive feedback on what would be supported. Someone at RCA was being safe but Candy Paint has, indeed, won.

Also, y’all did a lot today in here over this Chris Brown video. It’s here today, gone tomorrow. She’ll be just fine like Summer, Ella, Jhene, Zendaya, Brandy, HER and the others. She’s just not who everyone projected her to be, and that’s ok. 

1 hour ago, cliche_display said:

I'm sorry but isn't it a bit hypocritical for you to support Nicki's music but act moralistic about Normani supporting Chris's music?

Something is off with the selective outrage when Chris's career has been thriving on white-owned platforms like iHeart, Spotify, and YouTube etc for the past 13 years but there's all this rage towards Normani like her connection to him isn't tangential to what happened over a decade and 100s of high profile collabs ago.

It's like some of you thought she was supposed to be "better than the other black industry people" because she came out of a group with white Hispanics.

Rihanna herself did songs with Chris. Give it a rest. I'm not a Chris fan but the video was hot and she's been a fan of him openly since 5H.

It's easier for some of you to avoid Chris Brown contradictions because you don't listen to urban radio, watch BET, or involve yourself in black culture.

Whew we love smart sensible nation members. :clap3: 

• ATRL Moderator
6 hours ago, Flare said:

I’m surprised a lot of core Normani fans on twitter changed their profile pics and are tweeting about other artists only. They seem done with her. 

She really might have burned a big bridge with her main demographic. Candy Paint is the only way to fix it :rip:

Yeah I don’t think people are realizing that Normani’s fanbase is mostly pop fans that left Chris Brown in the past years ago. Sure the urban community doesn’t care but that’s irrelevant when talking about Normani; they’re not the ones streaming her music. 

2 hours ago, WheresJay said:

Also, artists do cameos in other artists videos. Why does this suddenly make her look weak or without a career? No one said that about Usher in Naughty Girl or Tyrese in Angel Of Mine. 

Usher had released multiple albums by then and Tyrese was an actual new artist that hadn’t been teasing an album for 4 years… not the same thing :rip: 

22 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Usher had released multiple albums by then and Tyrese was an actual new artist that hadn’t been teasing an album for 4 years… not the same thing :rip: 

The random whataboutism is insane :rip: Imagine equating Normani to Usher who had 6x & 4x Platinum albums, 3 Number 1s & 2 Grammys. And then on top of that, Chloe Bailey ALSO got a ton of hate (a lot from Normansters) for having a collab with The Game & CB coming out soon.

@shelvenYou have every right to feel the way you do, It sucks having your fave disappoint you like this. It's wild cause as @Flare mentioned, it's Normani herself who set these standards, no one else. She's very intentional about what she does and if protecting Chris from colorism claims is what she wants, than so be it. What's done is done, and we need Candy Paint. It'd be stupid not to capitalize off the hype. Like it or not, this is the reaction she wanted. She wanted to be the #1 trending topic and she wanted all this praise that she unfortunately seems to be getting from the masses. 

5 hours ago, WheresJay said:

so you just didn’t see the several viral tweets bashing chloe (and halle for the johnny depp thing) for her upcoming collab with him and the game? HER got a good amount of backlash when it was first announced for her album but it was a bit different from Chloe & Normani’s backlash cause her demographic wasn’t the ones who hated Chris or wanted him cancelled. either way, we can call out hypocrisy/selective outrage and still hold her accountable.

4 hours ago, cliche_display said:

also don’t know how true this is, but if so this is a prime example of the selectiveness I was talking about cause while mani can absolutely be wrong, to say someone who has not only collaborated/associated with Chris Brown (TWICE) but also several other abusers on multiple different occasions deserves more leeway than her is just hypocritical and weird.

Just scrolled at her IG post and the difference between the comments there to the Twitter ones...The girls are stanning Im screaming:bibliahh::bibliahh:

She really wrecked our base huh

Katy Perry Funny Pictures GIFs | Tenor

Edited by popularmoonlight

It’s crazy to me that this is all over a music video cameo. Everyone defending her in the name of her “furthering her career” are doing so over a VIDEO CAMEO. Not even a feature which could have ACTUALLY done something for her musical career. :rip:

11 hours ago, cliche_display said:

This is grand opening and grand closing on your reply to me.

I stated my opinion on this 2 days ago when it happened which was “I personally don’t care that much”.

Spoiler

My posts yesterday was in direct response to things other people said, so the context matters. To make it super short: Normani’s long time fans and general supporters have a VERY VALID REASON to be mad because Normani’s image and brand was carefully crafted by herself (and she takes pride in that), she’s super selective with how she represents herself, then goes and does something with CB?

That’s just nonsense. We can get a CB video appearance but not a Dua Lipa or Chainsmoker collab? We can get numerous IG posts promoting Chris Brown’a video, but Normani couldn’t be bothered to promote her own song collab with her good friend Josh Levi?

Life is about choices. She made hers and has to deal with whatever backlash (whether you think it’s performative or not). :gaycat3:

Y’all are starting to make up stuff to fit your narrative. Since when was it Normani that’s been declining collaborations because she’s crafting a perfect image? Did she not record her verse on the song? :doc:

IIAM remix didn’t drop because Normani didn’t want it to. It should’ve been very clear that was more of a label issue. Chainsmokers and other collaborations didn’t happen because people in her camp did not want it to. Tunjii was in a DM admitting this himself. How are y’all forgetting this? 

4 minutes ago, AFullMoonlight said:

Y’all are starting to make up stuff to fit your narrative. Since when was it Normani that’s been declining collaborations because she’s crafting a perfect image? Did she not record her verse on the song? :doc:

IIAM remix didn’t drop because Normani didn’t want it to. It should’ve been very clear that was more of a label issue. Chainsmokers and other collaborations didn’t happen because people in her camp did not want it to. Tunjii was in a DM admitting this himself. How are y’all forgetting this? 

And let me be clear because I don’t want any confusion. This is in response to the statements that Normani has been declining collaborations as if she really has that power. Truth be told, I think she would’ve loved for some of those collaborations to drop just like she would have loved for CP to come out in May like she thought it would. 

28 minutes ago, AFullMoonlight said:

ITA. People are projecting again because they're upset. This has happened before :deadbanana:

She looked stunning in the mv feature. Incredible dancing as usual, can’t wait for Candy Paint

1 hour ago, Flare said:

“I personally don’t care that much”.

So then you're just talking to see yourself talk.

1 hour ago, Flare said:

Life is about choices. She made hers and has to deal with whatever backlash 

The "backlash" for her dancing in a video should and will be nothing. Or 1 day of trending and a little more visibility in the black community. However you want to look at it.

About the same as the backlash for 

Nicki (Only, All Eyes On You, Do You Mind, Love More, Wobble Up, Right By My Side, Take It To The Head)

Drake (No Guidance)

Sevyn Streeter (It Won't Stop)

Teyana Taylor (Do Not Disturb)

Pia Mia (Do It Again)

Big Sean (Play No Games)

Summer Walker (Something Real, Like It)

Rita Ora (Body On Me)

K Michelle (Either Way)

Lil Wayne, Busta Rhymes (Look At Me Now)

Justin Bieber (Next To You)

Usher (New Flame)

H.E.R. (Come Thru, Slide)

Ella Mai (Watchamacallit)

Mulatto (Go Crazy)

Dawn Richard (Marvins Room)

Zendaya (Something New)

Agnez Mo

Fat Jo

Trey Songs

Marshmello

Dani Leigh

Tyga

T Pain

Snoop Dogg

Charlie Wilson

Diddy

Tinashe

Ester Dean

Diggy Simmons

YG

Kid Ink

Jhene Aiko

Meek Mill

Jacquees

Ciara

2 Chainz

Miguel

Nelly

Rihanna

Plies

French Montana

Mary J Blige

Dej Loaf

Wale

Ray J

Ann Marie

Tank

Timbaland

T.I.

Keri Hilson

Joyner Lucas

Jack Harlow

50 Cent

Ludacris 

Twista

Pitbull

Chloe

and the countless other collaborators, media platforms, labels, award shows, tv stations, and radio programs who've upheld his career over the past decade.

Everyone can see through the attention seeking antics when it comes to clickbaiting Normani and her every move since 2018. From WAP, to the 2021 VMAs, to Fair, to appearing on Nicki Radio --it's all the same relentless bashing and faultfinding. She has no incentive to appease anyone because no one is ever fair with her. It's a shame and this is coming from someone who has been overly invested and vocal about what I think her career should look like.

This collab doesn't really move the needle either way and I don't think her team expected it to. She got the chance to work with an artist that she clearly admires and she jumped at opportunity. I personally wouldn't have done it but it is what it is and I think everyone is entitled to feel however they feel.

Now moving on to her career... it's in the same place that it was last week and collabs won't help grow it unless she puts out her own music. If Candy Paint is the song they think will smash then they need to promote it for more than one week. The fact that RCA was trying to push another single doesn't make me feel great about how they may handle this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.