US Airplay Discussion

Kworb

butterflysupreme
3 minutes ago, Sinister said:

Versace is no longer hot...maybe if he said Gucci it would've done better :cries:

I mean I suppose it's supposed to be a throwback, in line with the song itself, but the title is so corny to the point where I've heard people comment on how off putting it is.

• Replies 37.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ger

• Raphy23

• FAN

• Starkboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone estimate how much of an audience Swift has on Rhythmic? Honestly, the song fits better on Rhythmic than AC. I really can't see this getting that far on AC, even with Swift's name on it.

Attention

POP: +2 spins / +0.266 audience

HAC: +43 spins / +0.309 audience

RHY: +71 spins / +0.291 audience

Wild Thoughts

POP: +32 spins / -0.334 audience

HAC: -7 spins / -0.021 audience

RHY: -23 spins / -0.210 audience

URB: -101 spins / -0.361 audience

UAC: +9 spins / +0.000 audience

pI81vuZ.gif

QueenofCopyPaste

POP:
-- 15 TAYLOR SWIFT Look What You Made Me Do 6604 0 6604 46.667

+1204 Spins
+1204 Bullet
+7.661 Audience

HOT AC:
-- 15 TAYLOR SWIFT Look What You Made Me Do 2368 0 2368 17.672

+426 Spins
+426 Bullet
+2.746 Audience

AC:
-- 22 TAYLOR SWIFT Look What You Made Me Do 201 0 201 2.994

+23 Spins
+23 Bullet
+0.197 Audience

19+3

TAYLOR SWIFT

Look What You Made Me Do

highest female-only song. oh, I guess it was like that yesterday too, but now it's t20 so.

19 +3 TAYLOR SWIFT  Look What You Made Me Do  71.803  +12.681

This could be top 10 on Radio Songs before the rolling effect  :skull:

How is Swift doing at Rhythmic? Her slowdown at AC doesn't surprise me. Her song really doesn't fit that format.

6 minutes ago, brianc33616 said:

How is Swift doing at Rhythmic? Her slowdown at AC doesn't surprise me. Her song really doesn't fit that format.

Just debuted in the Top 50 today. Pretty healthy bullet at +538.

13 minutes ago, One Nation said:

Just debuted in the Top 50 today. Pretty healthy bullet at +538.

Thank you. I can see it performing well there. Honestly, Swift's label should have done the deal with Rhythmic instead of AC. I can't see how AC will be there for this song.

In the end, I still don't see much overall longevity for this song. There are probably other hits on her upcoming album that will, but not this one.

1 minute ago, brianc33616 said:

Thank you. I can see it performing well there. Honestly, Swift's label should have done the deal with Rhythmic instead of AC. I can't see how AC will be there for this song.

I've been reading your posts for quite a long time and I think that your are the most knowledgeable person on this web-site in terms of radio. Do you think LWYMMD will survive the incoming rolling effect or it will go down like BTW or CTTR? What are your predictions? The song is doing phenomenally good right now on POP and HAC.         

Slow Hands

POP: +228 spins / +1.585 audience

HAC: +59 spins / +0.205 audience

AC: +4 spins / +0.007 audience

8. (+1) NIALL HORAN - Slow Hands: 113.203 (+ 1.732)

Feel It Still

POP: +165 spins / +0.809 audience

HAC: +79 spins / +0.334 audience

ALTERNATIVE: +11 spins / -0.007 audience

18. (=) PORTUGAL. THE MAN - Feel It Still: 73.069 (+ 1.121)

1-800-273-8255

POP: +61 spins / +0.912 audience

RHYTHMIC: +25 spins / +0.121 audience

51. (+1) LOGIC / ALESSIA CARA / KHALID - 1-800-273-8255: 37.466 (+ 1.192)

47Rv1Fq.gif 

57 minutes ago, Green said:

Truly her Born This Way

1 hour ago, Green said:

Shake It Off did the same thing, so it wouldn't be unprecedented for her.

33 minutes ago, DangerousSwiftie said:

I wonder how big Taylor's rolling effect is going to be.

I'm expecting something around -22.5M, but ready for Taylor to prove me wrong :thing: 

POP: -15.900 audience

HAC: -6.500 audience

10 hours ago, DaddyTrump said:

I've been reading your posts for quite a long time and I think that your are the most knowledgeable person on this web-site in terms of radio. Do you think LWYMMD will survive the incoming rolling effect or it will go down like BTW or CTTR? What are your predictions? The song is doing phenomenally good right now on POP and HAC.         

I had something very lengthy and detailed typed out, but I failed to back it up on Word, and the website lost what I wrote. There's not an angry emoji on this website, or I would've started with ten of them.  So, here I go again. And, NO, I'm not shading Swift (nor do I shade anyone on here except maybe Kanye West and Garth Brooks lol). I'm just calling out things as I see them here.

Let's look at Hello v. Look. Hello got off to a super strong start just as has Look. Also, Hello only took two days to recover from rolling. Adele's Achilles' heel -- Hello hit #1 on AC right as that format switched to Christmas music, costing it listeners at a very bad time. Had that not happened, I don't think Hello would've lost its momentum at T 40. However, Hello was also very AC friendly. Look is not going to smash (actually more likely to crash) at AC -- no matter how AC friendly Swift is as an artist. And, Adele had also built some Urban roots with Rolling In The Deep and 21. As far as I know, Urban never embraced the Kendrick Lamar remix of Bad Blood, only Rhythmic. Hello had other issues hindering its hang time, but this synopsis is already long enough.

I'm surprised Swift's label chose to promote Look at AC instead of Rhythmic, unless they just assumed Swift's name would take over AC regardless of how the song would sound. I see NO WAY Look recovers from its rolling effect on AC, as I don't think it'll have the longevity at T 40, and certainly not HAC, for AC to consider coming back around. I don't know if Look will peak on HAC with the rolling, but I don't think it'll peak much higher. Look will get past its rolling at T 40, but most likely not as quickly and/or successfully as Shake It Off.  I'm not sure what Rhythmic will do with Look, but it sounds better there than on AC for sure.

I could see Look have a chart run similar to the Born This Way *song*. However think Reputation will have sales closer to those of Red, which is right in the middle of albums BTW and 1989. The song may indeed outdo my 370k 1st week prediction, but I can't seeing it get another week at/+ 200k. The album could conceivably shock me and get 1 M in SPS 1st week, but I see Reputation's SPS component units total closer to Red's sales total than just sales alone. If Swift returns to more familiar material with Reputation's later releases, the album will sell somewhat better too.

I'm actually more concerned about Swift's career now though. She got her start as a Country artist, they adored her, and she has apparently completely kicked them to the curb. They, like I, thought she would have a few songs on this album friendly to her former format. But based on the reviews she's put that part of her career in her past and nailed the door shut. So while she could've probably lasted at Country 10-12 more years, at 28 (in December) her time is clicking at T 40. If she fails here, and she is taking a risk this time (as Guardian noted), her and Katy could find they finally have something in common.

Finally, Swift and Kanye actually have one trait increasingly in common -- burning bridges with former collaborators and friends. Both have used music as platforms to throw once fellow colleagues and peers under the bus. Kanye does so in an over-the-top manner that he turns off 90% of the music community. Swift drags her former friends through the mud more with her use of metaphorical lyrics. However she can do so in a translucent manner from time to time too. 

39 minutes ago, brianc33616 said:

I had something very lengthy and detailed typed out, but I failed to back it up on Word, and the website lost what I wrote. There's not an angry emoji on this website, or I would've started with ten of them.  So, here I go again. And, NO, I'm not shading Swift (nor do I shade anyone on here except maybe Kanye West and Garth Brooks lol). I'm just calling out things as I see them here.

Let's look at Hello v. Look. Hello got off to a super strong start just as has Look. Also, Hello only took two days to recover from rolling. Adele's Achilles' heel -- Hello hit #1 on AC right as that format switched to Christmas music, costing it listeners at a very bad time. Had that not happened, I don't think Hello would've lost its momentum at T 40. However, Hello was also very AC friendly. Look is not going to smash (actually more likely to crash) at AC -- no matter how AC friendly Swift is as an artist. And, Adele had also built some Urban roots with Rolling In The Deep and 21. As far as I know, Urban never embraced the Kendrick Lamar remix of Bad Blood, only Rhythmic. Hello had other issues hindering its hang time, but this synopsis is already long enough.

I'm surprised Swift's label chose to promote Look at AC instead of Rhythmic, unless they just assumed Swift's name would take over AC regardless of how the song would sound. I see NO WAY Look recovers from its rolling effect on AC, as I don't think it'll have the longevity at T 40, and certainly not HAC, for AC to consider coming back around. I don't know if Look will peak on HAC with the rolling, but I don't think it'll peak much higher. Look will get past its rolling at T 40, but most likely not as quickly and/or successfully as Shake It Off.  I'm not sure what Rhythmic will do with Look, but it sounds better there than on AC for sure.

I could see Look have a chart run similar to the Born This Way *song*. However think Reputation will have sales closer to those of Red, which is right in the middle of albums BTW and 1989. The song may indeed outdo my 370k 1st week prediction, but I can't seeing it get another week at/+ 200k. The album could conceivably shock me and get 1 M in SPS 1st week, but I see Reputation's SPS component units total closer to Red's sales total than just sales alone. If Swift returns to more familiar material with Reputation's later releases, the album will sell somewhat better too.

I'm actually more concerned about Swift's career now though. She got her start as a Country artist, they adored her, and she has apparently completely kicked them to the curb. They, like I, thought she would have a few songs on this album friendly to her former format. But based on the reviews she's put that part of her career in her past and nailed the door shut. So while she could've probably lasted at Country 10-12 more years, at 28 (in December) her time is clicking at T 40. If she fails here, and she is taking a risk this time (as Guardian noted), her and Katy could find they finally have something in common.

Finally, Swift and Kanye actually have one trait increasingly in common -- burning bridges with former collaborators and friends. Both have used music as platforms to throw once fellow colleagues and peers under the bus. Kanye does so in an over-the-top manner that he turns off 90% of the music community. Swift drags her former friends through the mud more with her use of metaphorical lyrics. However she can do so in a translucent manner from time to time too. 

Ok, thanks for your lengthy reply. Do you think Swift won't be played on Country radio if she decides to go back to her roots? I barely know anything about the topic, but I heard that Country radio doesn't give any spins to artists that don't belong to their community even if they release a county song (like Gaga's 'Sinner's prayer'). Do you think that Swift and the country community burned their bridges for good? It's pretty obvious that her pop career won't last long and she will suffer from ageism on TOP-40 after 4-5 years.              
https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/169078/country-radio-on-taylor-swift-single-nothing-to-se

Edited by DaddyTrump

6 minutes ago, DaddyTrump said:

Ok, thanks for your lengthy reply. Do you think Swift won't be played on Country radio if she decides to get back to her roots? I barely know anything about the topic, but I heard that Country radio doesn't give any spins to artists that don't belong to their community even if they release a county song (like Gaga's 'Sinner's prayer'). Do you think that Swift and the country community burned their bridges for good? It's pretty obvious that her pop career won't last long and she will suffer from ageism on TOP-40 after 4-5 years.              

Wasn't directed at me, but there was actually an extensive poll of country music listeners carried out by industry insiders during the 1989 era (reported by HDD): 4 out of 5 country music listeners said they would welcome new Taylor Swift country music when and if she decides to return to the format.

Edited by RobynYoBank

Just now, RobynYoBank said:

Wasn't directed at me, but there was actually an extensive poll of country music listeners carried out by industry insiders during the 1989 era (reported by HDD). 4 out of 5 country music listeners said they would welcome new Taylor Swift country music when and if it comes.

Then I think the things are not that bad for her. I guess that 'reputation' is going to be her peak pop-era and then she should start mending her connections with the country community, so she won't fade away like every pop star. Releasing a country album after a blockbuster 1989-era would be stupid in terms of profit (a lot of her new fans outside of the USA wouldn't be here for it), so I totally get why they are drastically re-branding her image into a new pop-diva.         

2 hours ago, DaddyTrump said:

Then I think the things are not that bad for her. I guess that 'reputation' is going to be her peak pop-era and then she should start mending her connections with the country community, so she won't fade away like every pop star. Releasing a country album after a blockbuster 1989-era would be stupid in terms of profit (a lot of her new fans outside of the USA wouldn't be here for it), so I totally get why they are drastically re-branding her image into a new pop-diva.         

She is not moving to country anytime soon.

She still got a lot of room to grow on pop. She will reach out to pop-rock, pop-indie, pop-folk, pop-dance, .....

As long as she still keep writing good songs, she will still have some kind of success no matter what genres.

6 hours ago, RobynYoBank said:

Wasn't directed at me, but there was actually an extensive poll of country music listeners carried out by industry insiders during the 1989 era (reported by HDD): 4 out of 5 country music listeners said they would welcome new Taylor Swift country music when and if she decides to return to the format.

That poll was taken before she released her second straight "Pop" album, which appears much more aggressive than 1989. Now someone else had mentioned Swift could/should release a Country EP in the meantime, as obviously the two are aimed at two entirely different audiences. 

Also, let me set something straight here. I like Taylor Swift, and I hope Country would welcome her back with open arms. However, in early 2003, the crossover Country music that was very big for 5-8 years prior thanks to Twain, and during which time staunch traditionalists like George Strait released his most contemporary song ever, Run, and Brooks & Dunn released A Long Goodbye, ended abruptly with a rapid return back toward traditional Country. This meant Faith Hill's Cry (album and singles) and Shania Twain's UP (album & singles; despite including a Country version in the double CD and a cassette only Country version), served as flops compared to Breathe and Come On Over (respectively). Faith finally regained Country's confidence with Butterfly, but upcoming Shania's marital issues meant her Greatest Hits album didn't really produce a hit.

I really hope Shania Twain can get back in the game, at 52, (Faith turns/turned 50 this year) because her lengthy break from music is quite understandable given how her former cowriter/producer/husband and ex-best friend woefully betrayed her. Given the fact Reba McIntyre scored her biggest hit well after 50, 4 wk #1 Consider Me Gone, all hope is not lost agewise alone. But Reba had a steady Country career before this. By 2014 McIntyre, Reba's own marital problems largely sidelined her music career. As for artists at/after age 60, only Dolly Parton is as well loved by the format. However, even with them, stations now prefer to play prior hits from their 40+ year careers than their newer material.

3 hours ago, chiliam said:

She is not moving to country anytime soon.

She still got a lot of room to grow on pop. She will reach out to pop-rock, pop-indie, pop-folk, pop-dance, .....

As long as she still keep writing good songs, she will still have some kind of success no matter what genres.

Taylor actually recorded a straight up, real Rock song on Red that was issued as a promo single. Later today, when I get back on my laptop, I will share the song out. Should she want to make the commitment, she could probably release a fairly successful Pop-Rock to Rock EP or at least feeler singles too. She already plays the electric guitar well, and Alternative & AAA are probably the best bet for "feelers" there.

Attention

POP: +72 spins / +0.126 audience

HAC: +22 spins / +0.128 audience

RHY: +30 spins / +0.019 audience

Wild Thoughts

POP: +2 spins / -0.499 audience

HAC: -18 spins / -0.170 audience

RHY: -33 spins / -0.451 audience

URB: -107 spins / -0.595 audience

UAC: -18 spins / -0.309 audience

Who's eating up all the audience today? :rip: 

9 minutes ago, Hurem said:

Attention

POP: +72 spins / +0.126 audience

HAC: +22 spins / +0.128 audience

RHY: +30 spins / +0.019 audience

Wild Thoughts

POP: +2 spins / -0.499 audience

HAC: -18 spins / -0.170 audience

RHY: -33 spins / -0.451 audience

URB: -107 spins / -0.595 audience

UAC: -18 spins / -0.309 audience

Who's eating up all the audience today? :rip: 

taylor, lol

POP:
-- 11 TAYLOR SWIFT Look What You Made Me Do 7845 0 7845 54.656

+1241 Spins
+1241 Bullet
+7.989 Audience

HOT AC:
-- 13 TAYLOR SWIFT Look What You Made Me Do 2821 0 2821 20.585

+453 Spins
+453 Bullet
+2.913 Audience

AC:
-- 21 TAYLOR SWIFT Look What You Made Me Do 228 0 228 3.162

+27 Spins
+27 Bullet
+0.168 Audience

RHYTHMIC:
TBA

41 minutes ago, Underdogs said:

POP:
-- 11 TAYLOR SWIFT Look What You Made Me Do 7845 0 7845 54.656

+1241 Spins
+1241 Bullet
+7.989 Audience

HOT AC:
-- 13 TAYLOR SWIFT Look What You Made Me Do 2821 0 2821 20.585

+453 Spins
+453 Bullet
+2.913 Audience

AC:
-- 21 TAYLOR SWIFT Look What You Made Me Do 228 0 228 3.162

+27 Spins
+27 Bullet
+0.168 Audience

RHYTHMIC:
TBA

Better than yesterday :clap3: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.