Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

MissedTheTrain

ATRL Moderator
  • Joined

Everything posted by MissedTheTrain

  1. Well Pitchfork got that part right In all seriousness, their write up made some good points. I still don't get these 4 songs having a lower score than the rest of the album when 3 of them are better than the majority of the original album and decent songs (in another life, Pink Clouding was one of the fan fav deep cuts on Lover I said what I said), but I get that people are ready for her to do something different. I think the pile ons are a lot, but the bright side is that hopefully she'll get the message and pivot. I also don't take Pitchfork's ratings to heart when they've always been incredibly unfair to some artists I love like Hozier, but they're fun to read.
  2. This 100%. I'm hoping she goes back to Country, but I'd also love if she did a sort of Maggie Rogers meets Phoebe Bridgers kind of alt pop rock.
  3. I do find it funny seeing some of the people who talk about her more than anyone else on this board saying they're sick of her....what would you talk about if she went away? That said, this re-release was a mistake. Even if 3 of the songs are decent, enough people were more than excited to engage in the pile on that's happening.
  4. This is why I hate the internet People falling for misinformation annoys me more than it should
  5. Loved the video! Interesting story and I was not expecting her to go this direction, the twist was a bit of a gag. Not her best (I feel like she was on a stretch of topping herself with each video for a while) but this was really good. I especially loved the shot on top of the car.
  6. Yeah I agree! I think it was fun when she started trying that kinda style out, and sometimes it works, but she really shines best when things are a little less wordy. She used to really utilize lyrical real estate and say a lot with a little, and I would love for her to make an effort to make that side of her writing shine again.
  7. Honestly, yes, it's her diary entry writing style. What stands out is her storytelling ability, and her ability to depict hyper specific situations and emotions that are both detailed to her life but deeply relatable to other people. I don't know who of her peers could write an album like Speak Now entirely by themselves (which is okay! they can do things Taylor can't, I'm just pointing out what sets her apart). Songs like Our Song, Tim McGraw, Mine, Dear John, Last Kiss, State of Grace, Treacherous, All Too Well, Holy Ground, Begin Again, Nothing New, Better Man (originally given to another artist and it was still a #1 hit) ...the quality is there. And that's pre folklore and evermore, which have songs like the last great american dynasty, my tears ricochet, seven, this is me trying, ivy, tolerate it, and tons more. If she's not for you, that's completely understandable. Nobody is for everybody. But there's a reason she's gotten the accolades she's gotten, has been praised by the greats like Stevie Nicks and Carole King, and is in the Songwriters Hall of Fame. And by the way, she did not go to Jack Antonoff after NFR....she was friends with him, worked with him on 1989 (2014) and reputation (2017), she was the first big pop artist to have him on a project. Jack basically credits her as opening the door for him.
  8. The Metacritic thread....people writing essays about how she was never actually good....it's getting exhausting but I totally understand why people just don't even want to engage. I tried, but people don't like when you offer up real points that refute their nonsense.
  9. Eh, I very much disagree with that. TTPD had a lot of her best stuff on it (there's 2/3 unserious songs across the full 31 that people love to poke fun at, and I feel like the great stuff overshadows it), and it did not get a very warm reception from critics. Midnights also had some great songwriting (YOYOK, The Great War, Would've Could've Should've, etc). But that aside...these accolades aren't because of these recent albums, or even just folklore. They're for her whole 20 year career, which has a ton of great stuff. The material on albums like Red, Fearless, Speak Now, her debut, etc...there's a lot of fantastic songwriting there, and her re-recording those albums reminded people of it. Even 1989, which is a more simplistic Pop album, had some great stuff like Blank Space, Clean, etc. Sure, she still had some unserious pop songs and clunkers here and there in that early work, but the majority of it is what put her in the position to receive the accolades she's gotten. folklore/evermore cemented it. ETA: Was genuinely down to have a discussion about this, not sure what's so confusing about this post? Or why you guys don't want to respond and just leave snarky reactions instead.
  10. I mean....it's not just from fans. It's from critics, PROs like BMI, legendary artists, veteran songwriters, and even the Songwriters Hall of Fame. She's got plenty of material to support that kind of praise, one bad album doesn't erase it.
  11. He has writing credits on 3 songs each, mainly coming up with the piano melody she'd go on to write the song on top of.
  12. One bad album does not erase all of the great songwriting she's released previously, let's be serious
  13. I highly doubt it, none of her peers' deluxes have gotten this many reviews (even with more songs added). Publications just know that Taylor gets clicks, drama/outrage culture gets clicks, and when you combine the two...
  14. It has some good stuff like Cornelia Street, Death by a Thousand Cuts, False God etc but the stain of ME!, IFTYE etc leave a rotten cloud over the project I'd say her best overall is either Speak Now, folklore/evermore, and TTPD (bar a few songs)
  15. If you guys happen to venture into the Metacritic thread and agree that a lot of us are enjoying 3 of these songs, any chance you could back me up Being dragged because I said 3 of the songs were fine and told "not even the Swifties agree with you"
  16. I'm guessing you're talking about me since I quoted you, not sure why you didn't quote me back with this. Can you elaborate? We are allowed to have faves, our job is to enforce the rules of this board.
  17. I am asking for everyone's grace and respect during this time, I really can't believe it...
  18. This. She released a bad album, I really don't think it's quite as serious as people are making it out to be. It is definitely time for a creative reset and a pivot a la 1989 and folklore though.
  19. Sorry but saying a female artist is "not good at anything other than growing hair", passing off music aimed towards women as a bad thing, saying that the era of female artists started because boys started spending money on video games instead....there are incredibly misogynistic tones to what he said. I can guarantee he's only heard a few Shake It Off type songs from her and is dismissing her entire artistry off of that.
  20. And tons and tons of other fantastic songs. I don't know why you guys continue to pretend that her unserious/cringe moments erase all of the great work she's put out.
  21. Very true! It's just annoying to have to deal with so many rabid trolls coming out of the woodwork that jump to the dramatics of "she was never actually good" "she should never be compared to the greats after this" like...it's a few deluxe edition songs it's not that serious
  22. The metacritic thread...I truly don't think I've seen another artist have this many obsessive haters that thrive on circle jerk threads like that. And when you post something level headed and rational, you get dogpiled on. Like...why is the temperature always so high with anything related to Taylor.
  23. I don't see any Swifties disagreeing with me, not sure what you're getting at? A lot of Swifties feel the same way.
  24. Yeah I don't care for the bridge, but I really like the rest of the song!

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.