Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

'I Inside the Old Year Dying' what went wrong?

Is it a good album? 8 members have voted

  1. 1. Is it good?

    • Yes
      50%
      4
    • No, she lost it
      50%
      4

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Pj Harvey came back after 7 years with a new album and it made absolutely no noise in alt-music scene. All her previous albums were an EVENT, like in 2011 she won Mercury prize (against Adele 21). Looking at her streaming numbers even her fans dont f*** with this album.

 

She didn't change her sound drastically so it can't be that.  So why did it came & went? Is it just bad?  

 

 

 

Mystic.pl - PJ Harvey "I Inside the Old Year Dying" | CD884 × 884

There wasn't hype around this release. Even I, a PJ Harvey fan, didn't listen to the album yet and I am not excited about it.

Yeah, the album did nothing for me. Musically, sonically and vocally it just wasn't interesting.

Yeah, for real like... This album is so niche - soundtrack to a poetry book written in a dialect lol. The album is good, well produced and melodic but what is it even about?

I wish she could just move on from this poetry already and release a normal album with songs in English

  • Author
6 minutes ago, the70s said:

I wish she could just move on from this poetry already and release a normal album with songs in English

:skull:

 

But yes. White chalk was also folk and it's a great,  emotional album thanks to the lyrics (like Devil, White Chalk, Dear Darkness). 

 

Btw. wonder why is she randomly sining about Elvis and even quoting him on this new album :priceless:

Edited by Raptus

1 minute ago, Raptus said:

:skull:

Dorset dialect is pretty much another language for people who doesn't speak english on a native level :P

she was never a huge success to begin with commercially.

 

7 years without releasing when youre not rihanna isnt a good thing

  • Author
16 minutes ago, punisher said:

Fossora really won the flop off

Ancestress alone destroys PJ last 2 albums :gayorkcat2:

9 minutes ago, Raptus said:

Ancestress alone destroys PJ last 2 albums :gayorkcat2:

I don't know why but I feel like a lot of your posts and threads are flamebait/trolling? 

Why would PJ Harvey fans be streaming her new songs that much? Most of her base is older people and they bought the record, since it debuted top 10 in the UK. Also not you skipping her last album and going straight to Let England Shake…. She had already underperformed with Demolition Project. This one is already more acclaimed than that. LES was a huge moment for her music, a new peak, so she’s back to where she was at previously (uh huh her, white chalk), but more as a legacy act.

 

I was listening to this record yesterday. It’s good. It’s very pretty and whimsical, just not very replayable. I find myself going often after her classics, her demo albums (her 1998-2000 music was just gorgeous) and her b-sides compilations from earlier this year. I wish Polly would pick a guitar again and rock the **** out, but I fear she thinks it’s too PJ Harvey-ish.

 

 

Edited by liquiddiamonds

1 hour ago, Raptus said:

wonder why is she randomly sining about Elvis and even quoting him on this new album :priceless:

Seems like theres a tradition of great uk singers bringing elvis at some point

 

it's a fine album, just not very memorable or remarkable. some songs were really hard to get into and by the end, it felt like a chore to get through.

Honestly I've yet to listen to it, and I was excited for it so thanks for the reminder! It feels like it got released at the wrong time for me idk

I sampled it and didn’t find it very compelling. It’s very tame and lacks dynamics… that said it still sounded very quality. It reads as an album she made for herself and I applaud her for that 

  • Author
22 minutes ago, brooklyndaddy said:

I sampled it and didn’t find it very compelling. It’s very tame and lacks dynamics… that said it still sounded very quality. It reads as an album she made for herself and I applaud her for that 

Her Blue Banisters, that's even worse :gaycat7:

I wouldn’t say it made NO noise, it was still an indie rock legend release. And it was good, just not nearly as good as her classics.

  • 5 months later...

Just thought I would pop in here after all this time to remind you that your thread aged like milk😂

 

The album is currently sitting at universal acclaim on metacritic and has been nominated for a grammy.

 

P.S. This album literally sounds nothing like Hope Six, so how can you say that she did not change her sound?

 

P.P.S. The fact that you think she is referring to Elvis Presley the singer by name dropping Elvis which means All-Wise proves to me you are out of your depth. 

  • Author
1 hour ago, 4th Time Around said:

 

P.P.S. The fact that you think she is referring to Elvis Presley the singer by name dropping Elvis which means All-Wise proves to me you are out of your depth. 

The phrase “love me tender,” of course, links back to Elvis [Presley], and to the film “Love Me Tender,” where Elvis plays a soldier.

 

I think his voice is otherworldly. It has a soulfulness that I find very, very moving. And his beauty, his exquisite beauty. That voice, that beauty, it feels like such a gift to the world. He’ll always be a huge figure in my life. I was fascinated with Elvis as a child. I remember also being fascinated with James Dean and older movies. I was always interested in that sort of magical distant past.

 

But when you actually just listen to his voice, it’s incredible. It’s unlike anything else—so moving. It’s beyond my comprehension. I can’t even describe in words how magnificent his voice is.

 

 

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/feeling-the-sting-of-time-with-pj-harvey

 

i feel embarrassed for you

 

:suburban:

23 minutes ago, Raptus said:

The phrase “love me tender,” of course, links back to Elvis [Presley], and to the film “Love Me Tender,” where Elvis plays a soldier.

 

I think his voice is otherworldly. It has a soulfulness that I find very, very moving. And his beauty, his exquisite beauty. That voice, that beauty, it feels like such a gift to the world. He’ll always be a huge figure in my life. I was fascinated with Elvis as a child. I remember also being fascinated with James Dean and older movies. I was always interested in that sort of magical distant past.

 

But when you actually just listen to his voice, it’s incredible. It’s unlike anything else—so moving. It’s beyond my comprehension. I can’t even describe in words how magnificent his voice is.

 

 

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/feeling-the-sting-of-time-with-pj-harvey

 

i feel embarrassed for you

 

:suburban:

Like I said, you are out of your depth. She is not referring to Elvis the singer in the narrative of this album even if the meaning of his name and the fact he was known as the king of rock and roll was an inspiration for her fictional character of Wyman-Elvis, you would have known that had you read her book of poetry Orlam like I have.

 

The only reason she talks about Elvis Presley is because she was asked during interviews what she thought of him and she shared her thoughts. But again, she is not singing about him in the context of the album even if the love me tender line is a nice little tribute to a musican she clearly admires.

 

The only one who should feel embarrassed is you, because you made false claims that she was singing about Elvis Presley in this album rather than the reality of a fictional character from her book of poetry who was partially inspired by the meaning of the name Elvis which means All-Wise.

 

No Questions GIF by CBC

Edited by 4th Time Around

  • Author
8 hours ago, 4th Time Around said:

Like I said, you are out of your depth. She is not referring to Elvis the singer in the narrative of this album even if the meaning of his name and the fact he was known as the king of rock and roll was an inspiration for her fictional character of Wyman-Elvis, you would have known that had you read her book of poetry Orlam like I have.

 

The only reason she talks about Elvis Presley is because she was asked during interviews what she thought of him and she shared her thoughts. But again, she is not singing about him in the context of the album even if the love me tender line is a nice little tribute to a musican she clearly admires.

 

The only one who should feel embarrassed is you, because you made false claims that she was singing about Elvis Presley in this album rather than the reality of a fictional character from her book of poetry who was partially inspired by the meaning of the name Elvis which means All-Wise.

 

No Questions GIF by CBC

 Whatever helps you sleep at night, babe

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.