Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Why is Midnights so perfect?

Featured Replies

  • ATRL Moderator
42 minutes ago, Better Mistakes said:

It's summer, I'm in my garden as the sun sets or driving my car as it gets dark or walking through the city listening to it and it's just such a brilliant album :jonny5:

Babe if you think that you should participate in @supaspaz his "THIS WAS 2022" rate - I can assure you that you'd be in the minority there!

  • Replies 36
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Paola Bracho
    Paola Bracho

    You know the album is really bad when the supporters feel the need to use words like "cohesive" and "cute theme".  And yea, in this case the album is far from being perfect.

  • It’s Taylor’s worst album 

It has around 3-4 duds. Other than that, it's an excellent pop record. 

I never feel compelled to listen to tracks 7 to 13, and not all the 3am tracks are great, Paris in particular makes me cringe. Productions are basic af and some lyrics are questionable.

Edited by G.U.Y_Del_Rey

It's by far her worst album tbh :rip:

I love the 3AM tracks though!

Edited by WitnessOblivia

  • ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Ace Reject said:

Babe if you think that you should participate in @supaspaz his "THIS WAS 2022" rate - I can assure you that you'd be in the minority there!

She could use the help, but I'm not sure I want her to get it.

1 hour ago, Paola Bracho said:

You know the album is really bad when the supporters feel the need to use words like "cohesive" and "cute theme". :toofunny3: And yea, in this case the album is far from being perfect.

Or maybe they just have a more developed vocabulary for commenting on music? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Because she did that

 

The re-release has me looping the album in full again and it is hitting so hard :deadbanana2: the effortless quality 

1 hour ago, byzantium said:

Or maybe they just have a more developed vocabulary for commenting on music? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Which is not the case since there was no sign of dEveLoPeD VoCaBulArY in this thread! :dies: 

From a critical standpoint, Midnights is far from perfect. Some of the lyrics are really cringey, the production on a lot of the songs sounds almost AI-like, and it's very bloated at this point with all the random extra songs (3am editon, More Lana, Ice Spice remix, Hits Different, Youre Losing Me).

 

However, on a relatability level, this album has been my lifeline the past couple months going through the breakup of a short but very intense relationship. It encompasses all the feelings and stages of a failed relationship, whereas a lot of her other albums with "better" breakup songs are better when you just wanna wallow in the sadness. They also feel more depressing, whereas Midnights' more modern and moody production gives it a more melancholy/numb vibe, which, ironically, makes it even more depressing in a way.

 

I think of Snow on the Beach from the first night after we hung out, genuinely in shock that I met someone I connected with so well on all levels after deciding love wasnt for me. It was going so fast that I should've known it was unnatural, but it was so beautiful and such a foreign feeling that I couldn't stop (like snow on a beach). Same vibes for Labyrinth.

 

Lavender Haze reminds me of our first 2ish weeks, where I spent every single night at his place, planned my days around being available to talk to him, holed up in his apartment because he wasn't out (yeah I shouldve taken the red flag lol). It just felt so nice to be together that I was okay with keeping the outside world out to protect the fact that hes closeted, and ignored my friends telling me the red flags because "they didnt understand the situation", and worked overtime to "prove" myself to him that we could make this work .... all while ignoring the realities of us being together longterm.

 

Then, after many nights of him being sad but not elaborating why when I pestered him, he finally told me he actually had just broken up with his ex of a year a week before meeting me, and that I was basically filling that void for him, and he and his ex had been talking the whole time and wanted to get back together.

 

I spent many of those first nights feeling like the Anti Hero, wondering if it was my fault for pushing for a title too soon and not allowing him to process his ex or for always finding myself with men that want to use me for a little, but always end up dating someone else, even when I see the red flags and actively ignore them for years.

 

Vigilante **** and Karma for when I needed to shut my brain off and hold onto anger just to keep the depression from coming. Maroon later those nights when the facade would crack and I would acknowledge that I am still sad, and replay the moments of us drinking bottles of wine and listening to our favorite albums.  Question...? the next mornings when I'd be both sad and angry, wondering if it was real at all on his end and he missed me or I was truly just a distraction. Wouldve Couldve Shouldve when the real anger set in over the fact that he initiated the depth and relationship talks at first, but then ghosted me and left me in shambles without a care when I finally let my guard down to trust him. 

 

Bejeweled to pregame for the bars 4 nights a week to "distract myself" and feel confident again, and then Hits Different when I got home and my friends were tired of me begging them to go out on weeknights just to end up crying and moping everytime.

 

Finally, YOYOK and Dear Reader as I'm finally starting to truly accept it, and realize that I've got to stop seeking validation from men for my self esteem since it always ends poorly. That I am on my own and have to make a change in my life or I'll always be reliant upon men to make me feel good about myself.

 

This was soooo long and really dramatic lol, and I'm definitely doing better now, but I personally love Midnights so much for these reasons -- it really feels like a time capsule of a relationship in your 20s/30s

It’s easy listening but not as “juvenile” as 1989 nor Lover, but not hard-hitting as her best album reputation, but still sticks and lingers.

 

She found the MID balance of her pop albums for the gp and fans. MIDnights.

Edited by Taylor fanboy

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.