Maggie Rogers - 'Surrender'

original_lifeline

1 hour ago, original_lifeline said:

Horses is the worst track out of the 1st half of Surrender :biblio: so long, so boring + her vocals start to annoy by the end of the song 

rupauls drag race tea GIF by Stan.

Horses will be her biggest hit *ever* if it’s pushed. It gives off big big mid/late 90’s power ballad energy. Her vocals on this are very strong, there’s a control in her voice that I don’t think she really had on the first couple albums. The instrumental is chill on the surface, but the lyrics are incredibly vulnerable/raw when dissected a bit more. It does take a listen or two for it to grow on you, but when it does, *my god* it does, I haven’t been able to stop playing it lol. 

The premise of the song is wanting to run free through life like a horse, yet there’s someone/something in your life who’s holding you back from that, and keeping you stagnant…so you have to choose between staying back w the person that’s resisting the change, or leaving them behind to chase that change, and letting it free you in the end. I guess I love it bc I can personally relate, but I know there’s def many others who will really benefit from a song/message like this. 

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• original_lifeline

• sam.teas

• rehceeb

• bonkbanisters

1 hour ago, original_lifeline said:

Horses is the worst track out of the 1st half of Surrender :biblio: so long, so boring + her vocals start to annoy by the end of the song 

partial lies served 

1 hour ago, RihannaStan4LIFE said:

rupauls drag race tea GIF by Stan.

Horses will be her biggest hit *ever* if it’s pushed. It gives off big big mid/late 90’s power ballad energy. Her vocals on this are very strong, there’s a control in her voice that I don’t think she really had on the first couple albums. The instrumental is chill on the surface, but the lyrics are incredibly vulnerable/raw when dissected a bit more. It does take a listen or two for it to grow on you, but when it does, *my god* it does, I haven’t been able to stop playing it lol. 

The premise of the song is wanting to run free through life like a horse, yet there’s someone/something in your life who’s holding you back from that, and keeping you stagnant…so you have to choose between staying back w the person that’s resisting the change, or leaving them behind to chase that change, and letting it free you in the end. I guess I love it bc I can personally relate, but I know there’s def many others who will really benefit from a song/message like this. 

maybe y'all listened to the other song, idk 

1 minute ago, original_lifeline said:

maybe y'all listened to the other song, idk 

Oh no le sis, we’re talking about the right one for sure? although there are 6 other songs on the album w potential to be hits tho, so this isn’t too far off tbh lol.

For anyone who hasn’t listened to the album yet: just listen for yourself on July 29th. You won’t regret it one bit. Surrender is beyond special, and the fact we’re able to all have different opinions on this album, instead of all collectively liking certain songs and trashing others, is such a good sign of this. I already know this album will stay w me for a really long time, and I genuinely hope that other people see it that way as well❤️

41 minutes ago, RihannaStan4LIFE said:

For anyone who hasn’t listened to the album yet: just listen for yourself on July 29th. You won’t regret it one bit. Surrender is beyond special, and the fact we’re able to all have different opinions on this album, instead of all collectively liking certain songs and trashing others, is such a good sign of this. I already know this album will stay w me for a really long time, and I genuinely hope that other people see it that way as well❤️

:heart: her best album is coming 

1 hour ago, RihannaStan4LIFE said:

You won’t regret it one bit.

agree. always said the same!

15 minutes ago, drip drop said:

is it okay to ask for links in atrl?

Nope, I got 2 warning points for a comment from last year.

Which is interesting cause my comment from February got the warning points until December.  :gaycat6:

so far i enjoyed more TWIA than want want but it's 2/2 for me 

gonna wait till july to hear it all

I give up, Horses is actually cute. so is Begging for Rain. but what in the bland disaster is IGAF:biblio:

Shatter is A BOP of the BOPS. it gives me Katy's Circle the Drain vibes, but so much better + Florence backing vocals are superior.

sorry Maggie, you did a bad job on Dance Fever tracks :thing:

3 minutes ago, HeddaO said:

Wait where did you hear the album Wtf 

It l worded about 2 weeks ago.

I mean good luck to her if y'all worried about numbers. :michael:

On 6/5/2022 at 6:22 AM, RihannaStan4LIFE said:

Oh no le sis, we’re talking about the right one for sure? although there are 6 other songs on the album w potential to be hits tho, so this isn’t too far off tbh lol.

I hope so since I pre-ordered the vinyl already.

13 minutes ago, Mellark said:

I mean good luck to her if y'all worried about numbers. :michael:

tbh I don't care
i was worried about the quality, but I was sure she wouldn't have flopped :biblionny:

Edited by sam.teas

56 minutes ago, sam.teas said:

tbh I don't care
i was worried about the quality, but I was sure she wouldn't have flopped :biblionny:

Me either. I am worried about quality because the vinyl I preordered for this album is the Spotify Orchid so I hope it's good. 

Edited by Mellark

composers

Overdrive - Maggie Rogers & Thomas Edward Percy Hull
Anywhere With You - Maggie Rogers & Samuel Holden Jaffe
Horses - Maggie Rogers & Thomas Edward Percy Hull
Be Cool - Maggie Rogers & Thomas Edward Percy Hu
Shatter - Maggie Rogers & Thomas Edward Percy Hull
Begging For Rain - Maggie Rogers
I've Got A Friend - Maggie Rogers & Thomas Edward Percy Hull
Honey - Maggie Rogers & Thomas Edward Percy Hull
Symphony - Maggie Rogers & Gabriel Bennett Goodman
Different Kind Of World - Maggie Rogers & Thomas Edward Percy Hull

1 hour ago, sam.teas said:

@original_lifeline why don't you digit 844-WANT-WANT and reveal your passionate love to Maggie :gaycat5:

because this call will cost me 20 dollars or smth :biblio:

3 minutes ago, original_lifeline said:

because this call will cost me 20 dollars or smth :biblio:

she needs money to surrender
so, come on now:deadbanana2:

26 minutes ago, sam.teas said:

she needs money to surrender
so, come on now:deadbanana2:

for that reason I purchased Target Surrender vinyl :duca: