16 hours ago, Oktober Knight said:

The way I'm bopping to this song as I read and watch the gifs 

:gaynetcat4:

(Unprofessional can rot) 

11 hours ago, SoldierofLove said:

:dies:

The way I low key bop to this every time it comes on! :celestial4:

Ahhh yes, Show Me believers rise UP! @allforyou can't stand it. :jonny5:

I'm ready for Janet to open the Together Again tour with this trashy forgotten BOP.

Music live janet jackson GIF on GIFER - by Kirisar

And then transition into Clap Your Hands (final version).

Just a little while GIF - Conseguir el mejor gif en GIFER

I always ignored this song but whew that chorus is kind of major?? I can just imagine the final version being an absolute BANGER. This is the demo from 2003 but Janet had said it was gonna be on 56 Y.O.

The thing that I don't like about 40 Y.O. is the fact that she's trying too hard to be other artists (Amerie, J.Lo, Mariah) instead of being the trailblazer she's always been. To me it's when she started stalling creatively.

Discipline might be a little bit uninspired too but at least it's a good album for the most part.

9 hours ago, eli's_rhythm said:

Omg, Truth is one of her best written and most personal songs. Get some taste y’all! Amazing vocal moments on it too.

!!!

3 hours ago, allforyou said:

The thing that I don't like about 40 Y.O. is the fact that she's trying too hard to be other artists (Amerie, J.Lo, Mariah) instead of being the trailblazer she's always been. To me it's when she started stalling creatively.

Discipline might be a little bit uninspired too but at least it's a good album for the most part.

I agree with your points about 20 N.O. but I think it's important to note that the final album wasn't really the original plan or Janet's vision.

While the Superbowl damaged her reputation with the public, I think it also really strained her relationship with Virgin Records. They absolutely scrambled when it came to putting together Damita Jo. Multiple songs that were supposed to be on the album didn't make the cut. The story of them rejecting or reshuffling the album Janet gave them has been alluded to multiple times since the album came out.

I found this apparently from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, it was posted on Janet fan sites back in 2004.

Dallas Austin (producer of Just A Little While, Sexhibition and a bunch of songs that were scrapped from Damita Jo):

"Oh that's easy. It wasn't a wardrobe malfunction --- it was an album malfunction. They didn't let Janet be Janet. Janet is supposed to lead, not follow. . . . The A&R types just chased all the hitmakers and put an album together instead of letting her do what she's done in the past."

Wait --- but isn't that why Austin was called in at the last minute, to smooth out the album and make it cohesive?

"Yeah, but when it got back to the label, I guess they got scared. They make the ultimate call, changes, whatever."

And then when it came time to make 20 Y.O., she had this intention of doing a hard hitting dance album with callbacks to the 80s, samples of her old songs etc. We got a little bit of that in interludes and some of the tracks but alot of the album was very obviously redone.

JD to MTV News in December 2004:

As EP on the new Janet album, JD is hoping to pair his wifey with other proven trackmasters — with Dr. Dre being at the top of his list.

"I'm reaching out to everybody to work on her record," he explained. "I'mma reach to the top of the top producers and we're gonna make a great album."

The recruiting done by Dupri on his BlackBerry or cell phone, he says, will probably be limited to just producers. He doesn't envision many guest appearances for the LP, which he says will "definitely" be out in 2005.

"We start that next year," he added. "For this record, it's gonna be all dance, though. It's gonna be straight 'Control,' 'Nasty,' hard-ass beats, memorable melodies. It's directed to her fans, people who miss dancing, people who miss seeing videos with dancing. These [younger artists] are sloppy, they don't take it as serious as she do. They don't rehearse for the hours she do. It's serious business for her and her family and her brothers. It's important for kids to see that and bring that back to life."

source: https://www.mtv.com/news/gno8gm/jermaine-dupri-new-janet-lps-gonna-be-straight-control

And then it was confirmed Janet was working with producer Kwamé at the start of 2005 among others. But of course the album did not come out in 2005. All the early sessions were thrown out and Jermaine ended up being the main producer which clearly was not the original plan. JD himself said he was recruiting all those producers and yet none of them appeared on the final album.

Kwamé came after JD after 20 Y.O. was released saying:

"The stuff we did for the record is more creative than everything on that entire CD. This joint she recorded with Dr. Dre makes "Ring The Alarm" sound like a lullaby. That's what happens when your man thinks he can do it on his own. I got mad love for Janet, but JD didn't deliver."

"He didn't deliver the goods. Promotion or whatever they wanna say ain't it. That album isn't good. I can say that cause the finished project we had before Jermaine took everything over is crazy. Ask Jimmy & Terry how they felt when Jermaine came in and changed almost everything. That's how I'm gonna end this. Ask Jimmy & Terry. "

So we def did not get the "original 20 Y.O." Either JD (who was overseeing the album) or Virgin (the label) did not like it. If Virgin did in fact reject the original album, Janet may have then asked JD to take over?

I think all these events made her second guess herself even more and forced her to rely on the opinions of others (Jermaine and then later LA Reid). So she left Vrigin and then had creative differences again with LA who didn't want her to do dance music anymore. It makes sense why she stayed away from record labels since.

4 minutes ago, PopThatCorn said:

I agree with your points about 20 N.O. but I think it's important to note that the final album wasn't really the original plan or Janet's vision.

While the Superbowl damaged her reputation with the public, I think it also really strained her relationship with Virgin Records. They absolutely scrambled when it came to putting together Damita Jo. Multiple songs that were supposed to be on the album didn't make the cut. The story of them rejecting or reshuffling the album Janet gave them has been alluded to multiple times since the album came out.

I found this apparently from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, it was posted on Janet fan sites back in 2004.

Dallas Austin (producer of Just A Little While, Sexhibition and a bunch of songs that were scrapped from Damita Jo):

And then when it came time to make 20 Y.O., she had this intention of doing a hard hitting dance album with callbacks to the 80s, samples of her old songs etc. We got a little bit of that in interludes and some of the tracks but alot of the album was very obviously redone.

JD to MTV News in December 2004:

source: https://www.mtv.com/news/gno8gm/jermaine-dupri-new-janet-lps-gonna-be-straight-control

And then it was confirmed Janet was working with producer Kwamé at the start of 2005 among others. But of course the album did not come out in 2005. All the early sessions were thrown out and Jermaine ended up being the main producer which clearly was not the original plan. JD himself said he was recruiting all those producers and yet none of them appeared on the final album.

Kwamé came after JD after 20 Y.O. was released saying:

So we def did not get the "original 20 Y.O." Either JD (who was overseeing the album) or Virgin (the label) did not like it. If Virgin did in fact reject the original album, Janet may have then asked JD to take over?

I think all these events made her second guess herself even more and forced her to rely on the opinions of others (Jermaine and then later LA Reid). So she left Vrigin and then had creative differences again with LA who didn't want her to do dance music anymore. It makes sense why she stayed away from record labels since.

This is all very interesting, I didn't know Damita Jo was reshuffled by the label before it came out, it always felt to me like a great album and some songs felt different from what was going on at the time.

To this day I wonder how that version of 20 Y.O. sounds like, it would've been interesting seeing Janet do dance music in 2006 when that wasn't really in style in the USA.

Janet shines with dance music no doubt. I would love to hear what Marshmello, David Guetta, Zedd or Calvin Harris could do with Janet's vocals on a hot dance track! I'm hoping the new music is dance/pop and not R&B.  

Feedback from Discipline should have been a bigger hit. I bet that's a song that could go viral now and pull a Bloody Mary..

Also, I hope she performs Again, Runaway, Throb and Doesn't Really Matter on this upcoming tour. 

Has she ever performed the amazing b-side that had radio play called "And On And On"...amazing song. 

2 hours ago, Mke1979 said:

Janet shines with dance music no doubt. I would love to hear what Marshmello, David Guetta, Zedd or Calvin Harris could do with Janet's vocals on a hot dance track! I'm hoping the new music is dance/pop and not R&B.  

Feedback from Discipline should have been a bigger hit. I bet that's a song that could go viral now and pull a Bloody Mary..

R&B is woven into all of Janet's music

15 hours ago, Pop Life said:

The Truth slander in here. I guess it requires a certain level of... emotional intellect :keir:

Conversation's deep

When you talk to yourself

There's no way to cheat

Cause you know you can't be no one else

janet-jackson.gif

I must be emotionally unavailable because that song is dull. 

13 hours ago, Zoe_ said:

It's weird that I'm feel like the only person to love Call On Me

Untrue, I'm in love with that song!

tumblr_mhldwk1ehM1r91qr1o1_500.gif

13 hours ago, eli's_rhythm said:

Omg, Truth is one of her best written and most personal songs. Get some taste y’all! Amazing vocal moments on it too.

To you! It's always skipped the few blue moons I decide to play that album in full. 

13 hours ago, SoldierofLove said:

:dies:

The way I low key bop to this every time it comes on! :celestial4:

:WAP:

4 hours ago, PopThatCorn said:

Ahhh yes, Show Me believers rise UP! @allforyou can't stand it. :jonny5:

I'm ready for Janet to open the Together Again tour with this trashy forgotten BOP.

I need something from 20 Y.O. and not just an interlude. I appreciate the addition, but she better not try me like that again!

4 hours ago, allforyou said:

The thing that I don't like about 40 Y.O. is the fact that she's trying too hard to be other artists (Amerie, J.Lo, Mariah) instead of being the trailblazer she's always been.

I don't see it. 

2 hours ago, PopThatCorn said:

While the Superbowl damaged her reputation with the public, I think it also really strained her relationship with Virgin Records.

100% - Janet was not on good terms with her record label and 20 Y.O. was her final obligation to them. I think that's why some fans feel like she wasn't invested or was giving up. 

2 hours ago, allforyou said:

This is all very interesting, I didn't know Damita Jo was reshuffled by the label before it came out, it always felt to me like a great album and some songs felt different from what was going on at the time.

It's a shame, because there's lots of good songs in the vault from those sessions that we've yet to hear! In her words, she was recording (off and on) for 18 months. The longest it's ever taken her to work on a project.

I want to hear her work with all of those producers as well. 

Has she ever performed the amazing b-side that had radio play called "And On And On"...amazing song. 

Yes, during a few summer shows in 1994. 

Edited by kishi

Ugh @ the All For You slander when it’s her best 00s album.

AFY > Damita Jo (both are great)

20 YO > Discipline (both are pretty bad but have 4-5 good songs each)

So glad to see this base get active again despite Janet’s best efforts to make us move on from her. Great info @PopThatCorn, I hadn’t read those interview snippets.

5 hours ago, Damien M said:

Ugh @ the All For You slander when it’s her best 00s album.

AFY > Damita Jo (both are great)

20 YO > Discipline (both are pretty bad but have 4-5 good songs each)

Yes, I can see the argument for DJ but I’d say the overall quality is in the order they were released.

Just watched Nutty Professor 2 for the first time in decades. The giant pooping hamster jfc :rip: she was so unserious for doing this movie. She shoulda just got that check for the soundtrack song and kept it moving.

8 hours ago, kishi said:

100% - Janet was not on good terms with her record label and 20 Y.O. was her final obligation to them. I think that's why some fans feel like she wasn't invested or was giving up. 

Yup. Even in her interview with Essence from last year she described that album as “a tough time, a tough period in my life”. 

3 hours ago, eli's_rhythm said:

So glad to see this base get active again despite Janet’s best efforts to make us move on from her. Great info @PopThatCorn, I hadn’t read those interview snippets.

If that ain't the truth. :priceless:

I'm preparing for the "new music" during the tour to just be a second Luv I Luv snippet. 

10 hours ago, eli's_rhythm said:

Yes, I can see the argument for DJ but I’d say the overall quality is in the order they were released.

Agreed, AFY is short and sweet. Zero filler. Cohesive. Pop perfection.

Damita Jo starts off weak but then gets REALLY good at Strawberry Bounce + keeps getting better all the way till the end. 

All For You should've broken up the mid-album lull of slow jams to keep some momentum going (I'd personally cut Love Scene, or at least shift it back a couple tracks, since I like When We Oooo and China Love a lot, and Would You Mind is camp brilliance) but otherwise it's just non-stop hits.

& Truth is an all-time triumph. Tranquil fury and all of that. Great stuff.

56 minutes ago, Subomie said:

All For You should've broken up the mid-album lull of slow jams to keep some momentum going (I'd personally cut Love Scene, or at least shift it back a couple tracks, since I like When We Oooo and China Love a lot, and Would You Mind is camp brilliance) but otherwise it's just non-stop hits.

& Truth is an all-time triumph. Tranquil fury and all of that. Great stuff.

Agreed. Crime Scene (Ooh Filler) should've been chucked in the bin. 

People always blame the 4 slow songs in a row for killing the momentum, dragging down the album etc but When We Oooo - China Love is a discography highlight. If you remove Crime Scene the flow of the album makes perfect sense. :supaspaz:

I've also always really loved Who and wish it was on the standard tracklist. Maybe after Trust A Try.

On 2/9/2023 at 4:53 AM, Zoe_ said:

It's weird that I'm feel like the only person to love Call On Me

It’s one of my fave 2000s Janet song :katie2:

All the slow sex songs on All For Jesus are incredible. I wouldn’t replace a single one. :gaynetcat3:

AFY has no filler

Also, the best songs on DJ for me:

1. All Nite- this needs to be on some show or TikTok and go viral- it’s not aged a day

2. Strawberry Bounce- very different for her, the SNL performance is A++

3. Island Life- R&B perfection, produced so well

4. Warmth/Moist- As good as any of the sex songs on AFY

Edited by Damien M

6 hours ago, Damien M said:

Agreed, AFY is short and sweet. Zero filler. Cohesive. Pop perfection.

Damita Jo starts off weak but then gets REALLY good at Strawberry Bounce + keeps getting better all the way till the end. 

“Damita Jo” and “Sexhibition” are both fab and a perfect intro to the album to me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.