Beyoncé

Kisuke

There's no one way to be a feminist and Dolly baring her soul on Jolene is just another way of doing it. It may not be empowering, but it's brutally honest and the way she or the person's perspective she was writing from felt at that time.

• Like 7

• Replies 109.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Devin

• ShouldersSideways

• Lose My Breath

• Mitsouko

That new thread about the nail kit.

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

That link doesn't work for me 

Same

--

I'm honestly curious to see if someone got confused and Bey is gonna sing Nina Simone's Blackbird... both make sense transitioning into 16 Carriages and both have similar meanings so it could be either

One more thing... has anyone considered the songs with the double ii denotes those are songs with the features? 

6 minutes ago, ShouldersSideways said:

One more thing... has anyone considered the songs with the double ii denotes those are songs with the features? 

Yes, someone said that awhile ago and I count 9 and Mr. S has only told us 7....

Gaga and Rosalia!? :sistrens:

54 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

Calling it now, Bey's Jolene will flip the original concept on its head. 

Beyond Bey's whole brand being built on feminism as far back as DC, I don't think there is any contemporary act that would sing those lyrics (as is) in 2024. It literally is the antithesis of everything today's society stands for. 

Can y'all imagine a Maleficent-like approach (stay with me lol), where she sings from the perspective of Jolene and flips the story. If done well, it will be the most iconic take on the song simply because everyone else has gone the verbatim cover route. 

The only way I see Bey doing the original is if the album is waaaaaaay more conceptual than we're anticipating. Like, literally "not" a Beyonce album and is instead the album of a character (Cowboy Carter?). I don't buy this, though, as 16 Carriages is as autobiographical as it gets.

I would absolutely love this! And now my delusions are getting the best of me. If you listen to the recent genz version that Dolly got pulled off of TikTok it was saying "I would have shot Jolene, I dare a **** come take my man from me" :deadbanana:… I take it the original concept isn't as receptive today. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, QueenBLadyG said:

Yes, someone said that awhile ago and I count 9 and Mr. S has only told us 7....

Gaga and Rosalia!? :sistrens:

I think Megan Thee Stallion might be on "Sweet Honey Buckin'". :celestial5: 

Gaga on "Spaghetti"? As in Spaghetti Western --> Kill Bill --> Telephone? 

Maybe Rosalia co-wrote "Flamenco"? 

Exposing my random Renaissance tidbits to close out this era:

1. On Thique I still get the lyrics wrong. Idk if she's saying bigger, thiquer, or larger first. And at the end I'm pretty sure she says cash twice in a row instead of ass which throws me off. 

2. I fell in love with Summer Renaissance last minute. Last year all of Renaissance made my top 100 songs except that flop but I suddenly love the "YOU SEXY MOTHA EFFA" part and "it's so good it's so good" is so ethereal. And the BEAT. THE INTRO is addicting it reminds me of a video game. Which is also why I love AHAP so much. She needs to do a video game themed album. Yep! Yep!

Edited by Fleahive
  • Like 2

Now you know how I love to deep dive and OH BABY, look what I just wondered upon. :jonny2:

The spaghetti Western is a broad subgenre of Western films produced in Europe. It emerged in the mid-1960s in the wake of Sergio Leone's filmmaking style and international box-office success.[1] The term was used by foreign critics because most of these Westerns were produced and directed by Italians.[2] Leone's films and other core spaghetti Westerns are often described as having eschewed, criticized or even "demythologized"[3] many of the conventions of traditional U.S. Westerns. This was partly intentional, and partly the context of a different cultural background.[4]

• Like 5

Y'all are NOT talking about Jolene and calling it "pick me" and "insecure". Girl please that song has broken barriers for female breakup songs. And was very honest and true to what most of us have felt, even as gay men. :rip:

Thank God Dolly loves and respects Beyonce enough to let her have her own take on the classic! I'm so excited to hear it! 

• Like 3

Yall are outta yall MONKEY ASS MINDS if you think THEE Beyonce is singing these lyrics. :deadbanana2: If she does, Jay must have pushed her buttons HARD and she still wants to get his ass cause....

[Verse 1]
Your beauty is beyond compare
With flaming locks of auburn hair
With ivory skin and eyes of emerald green

Your smile is like a breath of spring
Your voice is soft like summer rain

And I cannot compete with you, Jolene

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

Ain't nobody cares about no respectability politics when it comes to a classic. If she's decided to cover Jolene, she is gonna cover Jolene as written. She can breathe new life into it without gutting the song's actual meaning

• Like 1

She shouldn't change Jolene. The song is a classic whether the lyrics have aged or not. And she will be dragged if she changes them 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, satellites.™ said:

Yall are outta yall MONKEY ASS MINDS if you think THEE Beyonce is singing these lyrics. :deadbanana2: If she does, Jay must have pushed her buttons HARD and she still wants to get his ass cause....

[Verse 1]
Your beauty is beyond compare
With flaming locks of auburn hair
With ivory skin and eyes of emerald green

Your smile is like a breath of spring
Your voice is soft like summer rain

And I cannot compete with you, Jolene

I don't think people will read into the lyrics at all. Everybody knows it's a cover and not her life

• Like 2

QueenofCopyPaste

- II MOST WANTED (main focus) 
- JOLENE
- BODYGUARD
- RIVERDANCE
- SWEET ★ HONEY ★ BUCKIIN

The focus tracks

27 songs

I claimed bodyguard… 

Hopefully it's just as epic as Alien Superstar. 

I really feel like this is gonna be the most soulful, most atmospheric, instrumentally rich album she's ever released. She's gonna give us a history lesson and also be innovative and give a modern spin on the genre/genres. I really don't see her doing the boring flavorless country radio music some fans are scared about, she's gonna elevate the genre. i'm sooo excited.

• Like 4

27 songs is insane... and incredible. its really gonna give movie

16 minutes ago, QueenofCopyPaste said:

- II MOST WANTED (main focus) 
- JOLENE
- BODYGUARD
- RIVERDANCE
- SWEET ★ HONEY ★ BUCKIIN

The focus tracks

27 songs

Knowing Parkwood, these are the worst songs on the album. I will be skipping 

:gayoncecat3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

i just know this is her for the next 24 hours 

Tiffany Pollard Drinking GIFAngry Spongebob Squarepants GIFStress Smoking GIFStressed The Fifth Element GIF

I don't know, there was so much self awareness and blatant 'IDHAF' energy with "RENAISSANCE", she knew **** was going to be crazy and not fully understand with so many pieces of the puzzle. Even without the knee injury, "RENAISSANCE" felt like a need to get out and she wanted ppl to have it and share in her 'personal freedom', while "BEYONCÉ" felt more like a chore (in a positive way) and a requirement to prove her staying power, especially while on one THE biggest tour of 2013. 

I think it's even more so exciting and an eternal kkkkiiiiiiiiiii this time, given the reason she even made this album. She's obviously having fun with the music, but just wait until the puzzle is complete

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.