Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!! 🎧💿

Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

Featured Replies

10 hours ago, Kristie Kuwa said:

I think we also have to be honest that FN was benefitting from COVID-19. It was a time where artists didnt want to release new music because they couldnt produce vinyl and physicals in general + they couldnt really promote it anywhere. Thus the market was much less competitive in terms of new music.

 

2024 has had BIG releases every single weekend for the last 2 months alone. And there are more coming. You gonna have to bring ur A-game or else, u get what Dua is experiencing now. You're basically getting devoured

I have to disagree with this tbh.. Gaga and The Weeknd (and sorta Ari and Taylor) releasing near FN aside, DSN/Physical smashed pre-COVID and the era didn't really pick up again until Levitating when COVID had calmed down a bit. At that point, Dua was going head to head with SOUR— the biggest female era of the 2020s and she still nabbed the #1 song of the year in the US. Sure, BMH did well enough but it wasn't one of the defining hits of the era by any means. I think FN would have smashed with or without COVID, it was just that type of era and met the GP's expectations for what they wanted from music at the time (hence Blinding Lights and Say So also smashing). 

 

But I do agree that RO got swallowed whole by the busy release schedule which is why they should have released by February around the time of the Grammys if they wanted to launch Houdini in November. But honestly they should have waited till about now to release Houdini considering DTN was still alive by the time Houdini's release came around. I'd also argue that all the pop releases sorta hyped Dua's release up too since all the pop fans were perched to see how it would stack up against everything else… and her team completely dropped the ball.

 

One thing that's missing from every release this year is the "era" factor, everything is coming and going quickly. Had Dua recreated the FN "era" approach properly, the very thing that gave her the hype back then, then she would have managed to stand out in that sense but once again, her team completely dropped the ball.

  • Replies 12.1k
  • Views 841.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Gyro Zeppeli
    Gyro Zeppeli

    I'm screaming  

  • BlackoutZone
    BlackoutZone

  • Gays today would see the Frozen music video and then the Ray of Light album cover afterwards and be like "none of this is cohesive, this is all so badly planned, I thought she was going for a gothic l

Bebe and Ava could only dream to have songs like Houdini in their discography, let's not nn

8 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

Bebe and Ava could only dream to have songs like Houdini in their discography, let's not nn

Ava's last album (Diamonds and Dancefloors) is better than Dua's Radical Optimism lbr

 

 

10 minutes ago, reymiu said:

Ava's last album (Diamonds and Dancefloors) is better than Dua's Radical Optimism lbr

 

 

Ava's last album sounds like it was put together in an hour with a $10 budget. Lbr

26 minutes ago, ahauntingnearu said:

Ava's last album sounds like it was put together in an hour with a $10 budget. Lbr

80 on MC vs 73 for Radical Optimism 

 

barefoot-contessa-ina-garten_400x400.thu

28 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

80 on MC vs 73 for Radical Optimism 

 

barefoot-contessa-ina-garten_400x400.thu

lol Ava only got 4 reviews from publications legitimate enough to qualify for MC

32 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

80 on MC vs 73 for Radical Optimism 

 

barefoot-contessa-ina-garten_400x400.thu

I think that's enough internet for you today, bby

4 minutes ago, Mdawg said:

lol Ava only got 4 reviews from publications legitimate enough to qualify for MC

 

1 minute ago, ahauntingnearu said:

I think that's enough internet for you today, bby

"b-b-b-but MC..."

 

was a cute excuse while you could use it, huh

 

barefoot-contessa-ina-garten_400x400.thu

3 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

 

"b-b-b-but MC..."

 

was a cute excuse while you could use it, huh

 

barefoot-contessa-ina-garten_400x400.thu

you Stan Zara Larsson

2 minutes ago, Mdawg said:

you Stan Zara Larsson

:ahh:  I don't,

 

...however So Good, Poster Girl and VENUS have like the same MC score as Radical Optimism, and I agree. It's the same lane of harmless, mindless pop music that plays when you try some clothes on in H&M and it's fine. It's kinda interesting to see how the Dua stans get so offensive when you bring up the other ladies like Bebe, Zara, or Ava, like it's such a huge offense to create fun, forgettable pop? This album ain't no Future Nostalgia, and it's okay. Dua doesn't have to release an 88/100 every single time. It's so unserious seeing you all so fired up that I mentioned these while you listen to Maria, Illusion, or Happy For You.... :toofunny3:

 

anyways, I said what I said, won't argue about that no longer, cuz I know that the era is enough pain to go through already

16 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

 

"b-b-b-but MC..."

 

was a cute excuse while you could use it, huh

 

barefoot-contessa-ina-garten_400x400.thu

Wut? Are you glitching? Is there an off button?

5 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

:ahh:  I don't,

 

...however So Good, Poster Girl and VENUS have like the same MC score as Radical Optimism, and I agree. It's the same lane of harmless, mindless pop music that plays when you try some clothes on in H&M and it's fine. It's kinda interesting to see how the Dua stans get so offensive when you bring up the other ladies like Bebe, Zara, or Ava, like it's such a huge offense to create fun, forgettable pop? This album ain't no Future Nostalgia, and it's okay. Dua doesn't have to release an 88/100 every single time. It's so unserious seeing you all so fired up that I mentioned these while you listen to Maria, Illusion, or Happy For You.... :toofunny3:

 

anyways, I said what I said, won't argue about that no longer, cuz I know that the era is enough pain to go through already

sir/ma'am, I don't even like this album lol I popped into the thread to see how it was doing and saw your stupid comment invoking Ava Max's Metacritic score for an album that no credible music journalist even gave the time of day to write a bad review

1 hour ago, reymiu said:

Ava's last album (Diamonds and Dancefloors) is better than Dua's Radical Optimism lbr

 

 

Yeah let's be real, we need to get you that Binaural test ASAP 

 

 

I go for a run everyday with this album blasting :jonny6:

 

it's so summery , heartbreaking and cool 

USA:

WEEK 1 = 83K/ 51,5K PURE 

WEEK 2= 25.4k / 6.1k PURE

WEEK 3 = 18.3K / 3.8K PURE 

TOTAL = 126.K / 61.4 PURE

 

UK:

 

WEEK 1 = 46,298

WEEK 2 =  9,058

WEEK 3 = 6,739

TOTAL  = 62,095

 

France:

WEEK 1 = 19,501

WEEK 2 = 6,390

WEEK 3 = 4,499 

TOTAL= 30,390

 

MusicIsMyMaster

 

Its doing fine.... Longetivity will save this era :party:

 

 

58 minutes ago, Ivan_brit said:

USA:

WEEK 1 = 83K/ 51,5K PURE 

WEEK 2= 25.4k / 6.1k PURE

WEEK 3 = 18.3K / 3.8K PURE 

TOTAL = 126.K / 61.4 PURE

 

UK:

 

WEEK 1 = 46,298

WEEK 2 =  9,058

WEEK 3 = 6,739

TOTAL  = 62,095

 

France:

WEEK 1 = 19,501

WEEK 2 = 6,390

WEEK 3 = 4,499 

TOTAL= 30,390

 

MusicIsMyMaster

 

Its doing fine.... Longetivity will save this era :party:

 

 

Girl, WHAT longevity? There is no hit and the album is tumbling down all the charts 

Oh lord we're really back to Zara and Bebe comparisons, is this what it has come to

Is it even gonna scan gold in the US at this point? :doc:

 

I genuinely feel bad for Dua. Going from one of the biggest pop eras to one of the biggest flops. How does one mismanage an era this bad?

 

I hope she pulls Sweetener - Thank u, next and we get a new album in less than a year :katie:

9 hours ago, ahauntingnearu said:

Ava's last album sounds like it was put together in an hour with a $10 budget. Lbr

I know you're a hater but can you try to be objective at least? Did you even listen to it or are you just spewing nonsense out of spite? Genuinely, what makes you think the album sounds cheap? She worked with some of the best songwriters in the industry and it was mastered by Serban Ghenea, who's like the most proficient masterer out there. The songs sound polished, the instrumentals are clean and advanced with lots of different elements to enhance them, her vocals are beyond layered in every song with lots of adlibs and harmonies (which can't be said about RO). All songs were produced by Cirkut who I don't need to introduce to anyone, the name speaks for itself.

 

It's funny how y'all can't stop mentioning Ava in threads that have nothing to do with her :rip: 

Edited by Supervillain

1 hour ago, Supervillain said:

I know you're a hater but can you try to be objective at least? Did you even listen to it or are you just spewing nonsense out of spite? Genuinely, what makes you think the album sounds cheap? She worked with some of the best songwriters in the industry and it was mastered by Serban Ghenea, who's like the most proficient masterer out there. The songs sound polished, the instrumentals are clean and advanced with lots of different elements to enhance them, her vocals are beyond layered in every song with lots of adlibs and harmonies (which can't be said about RO). All songs were produced by Cirkut who I don't need to introduce to anyone, the name speaks for itself.

 

It's funny how y'all can't stop mentioning Ava in threads that have nothing to do with her :rip: 

Don't include me in that; I certainly did not bring her up :skull: in fact Ava's name wasn't even mentioned in the user's post that started that Convo; she was probably accidentally grouped in with Rita and bebe after, which - I'll leave for you to interpret as you will.. :toofunny2:

 

Yes indeed I have listened because unfortunately I have a friend who was obsessed and would always play the album when we were going out. There are a few bops for sure, but in the end the album is soulless, purposeless, says nothing. And i  personally didn't see any heart or energy put into such basic, formulaic compositions (and obvs all the LAZY sampling doesn't even need to be mentioned.)

 

RO is no masterpiece, but in comparison its productions are rich, detailed, substantially more organic.. ava and her music is collectively just throwaway generic edm that anyone can (and does) make. RO ended up having basic elements to it, but it's really not on the same level as ava. Come on now :skull:

 

I will say I applaud Ava's vocal adlibs.

 

Anyway that's all the energy I have to put into thinking about ava today

Edited by ahauntingnearu

4 minutes ago, ahauntingnearu said:

RO its productions are rich, detailed

:deadbanana4:

I actually got more use and longevity out of Bebe's last album. Not everyone can have a Visions (Don't Go) moment as an album track

 

urZXvV7.thumb.gif.9ee3286f16329e42421694

36 minutes ago, ahauntingnearu said:

Don't include me in that; I certainly did not bring her up :skull: in fact Ava's name wasn't even mentioned in the user's post that started that Convo; she was probably accidentally grouped in with Rita and bebe after, which - I'll leave for you to interpret as you will.. :toofunny2:

 

Yes indeed I have listened because unfortunately I have a friend who was obsessed and would always play the album when we were going out. There are a few bops for sure, but in the end the album is soulless, purposeless, says nothing. And i  personally didn't see any heart or energy put into such basic, formulaic compositions (and obvs all the LAZY sampling doesn't even need to be mentioned.)

 

RO is no masterpiece, but in comparison its productions are rich, detailed, substantially more organic.. ava and her music is collectively just throwaway generic edm that anyone can (and does) make. RO ended up having basic elements to it, but it's really not on the same level as ava. Come on now :skull:

 

I will say I applaud Ava's vocal adlibs.

 

Anyway that's all the energy I have to put into thinking about ava today

Okay, I respect your opinion. This is constructive criticism and I can go along with it, thank you :bird:  It's just funny how Ava keeps getting mentioned here totally unprovoked. The girlie couldn't care less about her career :skull: 

Edited by Supervillain

6 minutes ago, Post Malone said:

Battle Of Mid: Image Gallery (List View) | Know Your Meme

:bibliahh: time for someone brave to make that Dua vs Ava vs Bebe thread

Edited by Kern

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.