Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

SweetTalker

She needs to give These Walls a big radio push because that's the only saving grace here. I'm also confused why the label green lit this release. :celestial5:

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• Cain

• SayIt

• Relampago.

Top Posters In This Topic

#148 (+2) Training Season [1,472,971]

#187 (+12) Houdini [1,357,318]

#197 (-9) Illusion [1,316,001]

Anyone knows what are the numbers for the entire album? Is it stuck at 5-6M daily?

I feel like she released Houdini at the wrong time. She dropped it and then continued doing promo for Dance The Night due to awards. It was like her lead was being paid dust. Should have waited until after the awards season to release, imo. 

It did fairly well over here in Europe but it definitely needed the extra push that promo would have done. 

• Like 7

Everyone and their mother, daughter getting hits except her. Did Albania mafia crumble already?! We need a new contract!

2 minutes ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

Everyone and their mother, daughter getting hits except her. Did Albania mafia crumble already?! We need a new contract!

The problem is the Albanian mafia (her dad) got a little too involved 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, watermelonshake said:

I feel like she released Houdini at the wrong time. She dropped it and then continued doing promo for Dance The Night due to awards. It was like her lead was being paid dust. Should have waited until after the awards season to release, imo. 

It did fairly well over here in Europe but it definitely needed the extra push that promo would have done. 

So it would peak a little higher for like a week longer? People were saying Houdini will smash after Christmas like DSN and it didn't

3 hours ago, halcyonday said:

halcyonday

3 hours ago, halcyonday said:

#148 (+2) Training Season [1,472,971]

#187 (+12) Houdini [1,357,318]

Anyone knows what are the numbers for the entire album? Is it stuck at 5-6M daily?

It did 6.5 million 

Keep streaming :duca: 

6 hours ago, Kristie Kuwa said:

The problem with RO isn't necessarily the album itself, but everything else. There's no cohesion and focus. FN was a masterclass of an era - everything made sense, was perfectly timed and extremely well executed. From the outfits to the MVs to the promo gigs. Flawless.

With this era, Dua wanted too much at the same time - Podcast, Barbie soundtrack and Oscar Ambition, Docufilm about Camden Town, psychedelic album meets eneric disco bops to make sure to ride on FN coattail. The styling did not make any sense at all, the interviews she did were useless (especially since she did not, for whatever reason, perform.Houdini), the MVs were CHEAP af, the random push of Illusion when it served buzz single from the get go. Just really, really, really BAD overall in terms of cohesion, management and focus.

In a competitive year like 2024, its unsurprisingly met with instant death on the charts

This.

The album is a solid pop album but it just goes to show how it was marketed horribly. 

Imagine the FN era being handled like RO is… it wouldn't be the legendary pop era it is today. RO with FN-level handling would at LEAST be as big as her debut era, but likely much bigger. I'm so sorry if she's happier with her dad, but she's going to have to accept a massive decline if that's the case too.

It's crazy how she only has 3 eras and all 3 are prime examples of what to do/not to do. DL shows how to take a girl who hasn't quite found herself yet and make her into a burgeoning pop staple. FN shows how to ELEVATE that burgeoning star and create a cohesive era that compliments all of her strengths so that people can see how much she has to offer. RO… shows how being lax and flippant with an era can take a solid era with an extremely promising start and completely stomp out all momentum with horrible decisions and marketing. 

Praying DL4 will be the lesson that shows how to recover from a flop era by reminding the world that you are one of the biggest pop stars of the decade for a reason.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

One thing too… I like the album title and all but she needs to come up with a catchier album title rn. Radical Optimism just doesn't appeal to the casual listener. It sounds like some type of indie flop surfer band that no one's heard of, not a pop star's album. It sticks out like a sore thumb on that top 10 most listened to albums list in all the worst ways.

Vertigo wouldn't have captured this album's vibe at all but it's a lot easier to digest. Chaos Theory also wouldn't have fit this at all, but again, easier to digest.

Edited by Relampago.

7 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

This.

The album is a solid pop album but it just goes to show how it was marketed horribly. 

Imagine the FN era being handled like RO is… it wouldn't be the legendary pop era it is today. RO with FN-level handling would at LEAST be as big as her debut era, but likely much bigger. I'm so sorry if she's happier with her dad, but she's going to have to accept a massive decline if that's the case too.

It's crazy how she only has 3 eras and all 3 are prime examples of what to do/not to do. DL shows how to take a girl who hasn't quite found herself yet and make her into a burgeoning pop staple. FN shows how to ELEVATE that burgeoning star and create a cohesive era that compliments all of her strengths so that people can see how much she has to offer. RO… shows how being lax and flippant with an era can take a solid era with an extremely promising start and completely stomp out all momentum with horrible decisions and marketing. 

Praying DL4 will be the lesson that shows how to recover from a flop era by reminding the world that you are one of the biggest pop stars of the decade for a reason.

I think we also have to be honest that FN was benefitting from COVID-19. It was a time where artists didnt want to release new music because they couldnt produce vinyl and physicals in general + they couldnt really promote it anywhere. Thus the market was much less competitive in terms of new music.

2024 has had BIG releases every single weekend for the last 2 months alone. And there are more coming. You gonna have to bring ur A-game or else, u get what Dua is experiencing now. You're basically getting devoured

The album is doing great for what it is, imo. It's serving a Zara/Rita/Bebe type of quality and she's doing great numbers compared to them. :michael: 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

The album is doing great for what it is, imo. It's serving a Zara/Rita/Bebe type of quality and she's doing great numbers compared to them. :michael: 

Its far better than Zara/Rita/Bebe faceless songs without any longevity, creativity or artistic vision

19 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

C'mon let's be serious girl - jfc :skull:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

You are right. The reason why people listened to FN is because it was so good. I remember randomly playing  the title track and I was surprised by how interesting it is and then I was perched for the album. And people really think RO would smash with bigger promo :rip: People are streaming music, not visuals 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mike_int said:

Its far better than Zara/Rita/Bebe faceless songs without any longevity, creativity or artistic vision

:rip: it's really not... however I do agree that she has a way better longevity than these girlies which is why it's doing good :clap: 

1 minute ago, ahauntingnearu said:

C'mon let's be serious girl - jfc :skull:

miss thang... even you and many hardcore Dua stans skipped this album, and I feel why.

i can perfectly see some of the songs go on some Zara/Bebe album, like Illusion, Happy For You or Maria, and it just goes to say that the album is indeed nice, but it's really giving H&M dressing room (which I like to bop to)

Training Season or (even) Houdini do indeed sound like Dua is on another level of pop, but the rest of the album is giving... cute but forgettable. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

:rip: it's really not... however I do agree that she has a way better longevity than these girlies which is why it's doing good :clap: 

miss thang... even you and many hardcore Dua stans skipped this album, and I feel why.

i can perfectly see some of the songs go on some Zara/Bebe album, like Illusion, Happy For You or Maria, and it just goes to say that the album is indeed nice, but it's really giving H&M dressing room (which I like to bop to)

Training Season or (even) Houdini do indeed sound like Dua is on another level of pop, but the rest of the album is giving... cute but forgettable. 

Couldn't be me! 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

The album is doing great for what it is, imo. It's serving a Zara/Rita/Bebe type of quality 

Ohh you're OFF off, it makes sense now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a hit! Flop era cancelled :alexz:

UK Queen! 

13 minutes ago, Ivan_brit said:

It's a hit! Flop era cancelled :alexz:

UK Queen! 

The slow crawl towards Gold and years long journey to Platinum begins

I'm in London. There was a poster promoting the album at my train station for the first two days. After that, it was replaced with a random cosmetics ad. Era officially over :deadbanana4:

Spoiler

Just kidding. Give us These Walls ft. Harry Styles

"These Walls" remix feat Harry Styles would unironically save the era. I say spend the big bucks and do it. This is like Shakira's Oral Fixation Vol. 2 before "Hips Don't Lie". She's still a super famous pop star and the ship can be righted, but she needs a smash pronto.

Would be lucky to even spend 10 weeks on albums chart at this point….:dancehall2:

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.