Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive

This is part 1 of the K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive discussion.

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, DanyelP23 said:

Unlike the majority of their peers, they were ugly and short so the male korean general public could relate and listen to them. Male stans did not feel 'weird' or ashamed, because BigBang were marketed as "real artists" and not just "pretty boys".

 

 

1 hour ago, Mitsuki said:

It's cause what makes boygroups building huge fandoms is not simple only because they are men, but the intention behind of how they are marketed and the way they are promoted to a specific demography. 

 

They reach emotional connection through parasocial relationship due personality, storyline and how much the audience relate to them. And when I say parasocial relationship is not only a manner of create an ideal boyfriend, but believing their achievements is your achivements, their fights are your fights and they somehow need protection, to believe you know their dynamics and overall personality as you were part of their friends' group etc. 

 

But BIGBANG were never marketed that way in any means. They were marketed as an exclusive type of group who is not like the other boygroups and are actual artists who focus only on music. They saw It worked with BIGBANG and tried with their other groups until TREASURE, who is their first group marketed as a typical boygroup.

 

BLACKPINK is an anomaly, tho. I believe they never expected to see them reaching this level of success. 

 

 

1 hour ago, Mel. said:

I feel like it's just a YG thing, not just BIGBANG

2NE1, AKMU, IKON, WINNER etc never were big album sellers

they all dominated digitally 

 

it wasn't until BLACKPINK came along that physical albums increased

 

BIGBANG are still too way too big to be getting outsold like that by their peers. Like aren't V.I.P one of the biggest fandoms ever? Weren't BIGBANG one of the only 2nd gen groups who could actually do a global arena world tour? All these other bgs that came after them are literally their SONS and were inspired by them including my own faves, so I don't really understand why the fathers of Kpop are being outsold like that? 

 

It's weird how a faceless Super Junior member is outselling Taeyang legend

 

Edited by Pluto2022

  • Replies 131.8k
  • Views 10.8m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • aespa #1!    MYs can have arts AND charts now No chart updates on Spicy from you then?   I think not. Nope. They're at #1 now. Consider your points deb

  • Also @Mel. now that thread banning is back your two week ban starts now. 

  • Antisocialites
    Antisocialites

    some of the new members not giving new at all 

YG were never big physically. Idk why we’re acting shocked at Taeyang’s numbers especially after so many VIPs jumped ship. :rip: 

 

Omg can't believe this is coming next week. :jonny5:

I've been waiting for it ever since it was teased last September.

3 hours ago, Mitsuki said:

Cool! Especially since the queen had an amazing collaboration with LV for her ELLE cover :heart: 

 

 

 

 


Yeji legit looks like she could be a fashion model. 
 

 

3 hours ago, Aslan said:

 

:dies:

She’s so real 

 

I can’t with her.

19 minutes ago, Pluto2022 said:

BIGBANG are still too way too big to be getting outsold like that by their peers. Like aren't V.I.P one of the biggest fandoms ever?

Album sales were never a priority.  Probably because it's easier to hide money with concerts and appearances.  Only when YG became (temporarily) under control of the investors and the pandemic made live events questionable did they go the pokemon route with a very traditional Treasure boy group.  And then we got The album.

 

All they ever asked from V.I.Ps were to defend their boys online whenever they got arrested or killed somebody.

 

:cm:

Edited by harrythevifan

3 hours ago, Pluto2022 said:

The way she’s more Fearless than all of the LE SSERAFIM members combined :dies: Like how are you letting a MIXXPOP girlie outdo you in your own concept? :deadbanana2:
We all thought that Yunjin was the rebellious idol who was going to “change the idol industry”, but it looks like Lily is the one doing the actual “changing”
 

We stan a REAL rebellious idol who’s changing the idol industry :ghostface:

FpjrMiJagAAOn0h?format=jpg&name=large

you’re on thin ice with the Yunjin comments, don’t try it 

 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, DelRey said:

Last night I watched Blackpink live, It was amazing. Jisoo stole everyone heart, she was very cute and funny in her interactions. They didn't sing PWF and YYY but they did AIYL and Boombayah. Overall I have a great night :heart: 

glad you had fun with the queens :jonny6:

1 hour ago, DelRey said:

Last night I watched Blackpink live, It was amazing. Jisoo stole everyone heart, she was very cute and funny in her interactions. They didn't sing PWF and YYY but they did AIYL and Boombayah. Overall I have a great night :heart: 

I’m happy you had a good time with the Pinks :clap3:

26 minutes ago, Pluto2022 said:

 

 

 

 

BIGBANG are still too way too big to be getting outsold like that by their peers. Like aren't V.I.P one of the biggest fandoms ever? Weren't BIGBANG one of the only 2nd gen groups who could actually do a global arena world tour? All these other bgs that came after them are literally their SONS and were inspired by them including my own faves, so I don't really understand why the fathers of Kpop are being outsold like that? 

 

It's weird how a faceless Super Junior member is outselling Taeyang legend

 

I mean I agree and I don’t, I don’t really know why people just streamed and bought digitally, but not the physical releases idk..

Big bang Weren’t even major physical sellers at thier peak. Everyone knows YG is more digital and Street relevant 

2 hours ago, hallucinate said:

love dive should’ve been up there as well but anyways

talent always wins :clap3:

spacer.png

They're getting exactly what they deserve 👏  I'm so happy for them.

2 hours ago, Mitsuki said:

It's cause what makes boygroups building huge fandoms is not simple only because they are men, but the intention behind of how they are marketed and the way they are promoted to a specific demography. 

 

They reach emotional connection through parasocial relationship due personality, storyline and how much the audience relate to them. And when I say parasocial relationship is not only a manner of create an ideal boyfriend, but believing their achievements is your achivements, their fights are your fights and they somehow need protection, to believe you know their dynamics and overall personality as you were part of their friends' group etc. 

 

But BIGBANG were never marketed that way in any means. They were marketed as an exclusive type of group who is not like the other boygroups and are actual artists who focus only on music. They saw It worked with BIGBANG and tried with their other groups until TREASURE, who is their first group marketed as a typical boygroup.

 

BLACKPINK is an anomaly, tho. I believe they never expected to see them reaching this level of success. 

More and more I realize that kpop is just sports but with pretty men in tight clothes. The fandoms seem to move the same.

No wonder SEVENTEEN sold like 4 million, I just saw on twitter that there’s 20+ versions of their album. That’s just insane

 

i would never buy all those albums, even for BP

It will be interesting to see how baby monster does especially in Korea. There is a lot of content out there even before debut which is like the complete opposite of the blackpink ~exclusive~ kinda branding YG is known for. Maybe they are going for a more traditional idol group this time?

 

I won’t comment on their talent yet since a) I’m not invested in watching content  b) they haven’t even debuted c) everything is put through a YG editing/production lense thus far.  

 


 

 

1 minute ago, sunmimi imfurst said:

It will be interesting to see how baby monster does especially in Korea. There is a lot of content out there even before debut which is like the complete opposite of the blackpink ~exclusive~ kinda branding YG is known for. Maybe they are going for a more traditional idol group this time?

 

I won’t comment on their talent yet since a) I’m not invested in watching content  b) they haven’t even debuted c) everything is put through a YG editing/production lense thus far.  

 


 

 

What do you mean “put through editing/production lense”?

 

are you insinuating they’re not talented? I don’t think editing can do all that, you either have the goods or you don’t

31 minutes ago, Save-Me-Oprah said:

you’re on thin ice with the Yunjin comments, don’t try it 

 

spacer.png

Did I lie though? Yunjin keeps saying that she will change the idol industry, while Lily is actually changing the idol industry unintentionally :coffee2: Yunjin legend, but Lily is more Fearless than her and the rest of the LE SSERAFIM angels :michael: When will the Fearless girl group dare to talk about the same taboo subjects and be as unapologetic on their VLives as Miss Lilyana Grande? 

FqxBWviaEAE_G9C?format=jpg&name=4096x409

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Pluto2022

33 minutes ago, Pluto2022 said:

 

 

 

 

BIGBANG are still too way too big to be getting outsold like that by their peers. Like aren't V.I.P one of the biggest fandoms ever? Weren't BIGBANG one of the only 2nd gen groups who could actually do a global arena world tour? All these other bgs that came after them are literally their SONS and were inspired by them including my own faves, so I don't really understand why the fathers of Kpop are being outsold like that? 

 

It's weird how a faceless Super Junior member is outselling Taeyang legend

 

Due to how they were marketed - like me and other user mentioned - as "true artists" who write, compose and have great live/stage skills and are not a typical pretty manufactured boygroup, It motived people to buy their tickets, even though they weren't deep into fandom culture to the point of being invested in bulking buying. 

 

This brainwashing marketing helped them not only to get the love of general public, but they had the whole industry on their knees, because people respected their artistry and legacy. 

 

Mind you, I'm not saying Bigbang members are not real composers and great live performers, because they definitely are. But they aren't that different from a lot of their peers in that sense. SHINee, for example, the members write, compose and are great live, but SM never marketed them as "artists, not idols". 

 

And that's why image/brand is everything in K-pop lol

3 hours ago, Pluto2022 said:

I sometimes forget how thick Visuelle is :ghostface: 

 

298af5911e972b6a8351e5f28b688426.jpg
a72570803faa820efde1957df94dee5e.jpg
 

 

she went to the jyp hip pads store

I honestly feel like the whole "Fearless" concept suits a group like NMIXX more, since they dared to release O.O as their debut and Dice as their first comeback, like which other group would ever dare to do that? :ghostface:

 

20 minutes ago, CandyCoatedClouds said:

 

More and more I realize that kpop is just sports but with pretty men in tight clothes. The fandoms seem to move the same.

I'm afraid you aren't wrong 

 

spacer.png

1 minute ago, motherpills said:

she went to the jyp hip pads store

You can see in one of her recent vlogs where her personal trainer is complementing her body especially her ass

 

As you can see her ass is phat and real unlike Wendy's abs 

DimEdibleKawala-max-1mb.gif

And the universities festivals season is officially starting :cm:

 

Alongside with BIBI, Crush and Epik High 

 

 

 

IVE have enough material for putting a good Setlist now :clap3:! And Starshit better replace Royal and Take It with Blue Blood and Not your girl.

 

 

11 minutes ago, Mel. said:

What do you mean “put through editing/production lense”?

 

are you insinuating they’re not talented? I don’t think editing can do all that, you either have the goods or you don’t

Erm no that’s not what I meant or implied at all lol.

 

I meant YG is releasing this content which they have absolute control of, meaning they can edit  and produce it any shape or form as they like. This isn’t a dig at YG either since Kpop is over produced and edited regardless. I watched one clip and saw they can sing, I would just be more interesting in seeing a proper live first before judging their talents. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.