Golden Hit: Season 1 πŸ“€ Congrats to 8thPrince and Jackson!! πŸ†πŸ†

fountain

Can't wait for thisΒ :duca:Β since CAL is on hiatus I need something else to push me to write!

Β 

Β 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountain

• Aurora

• Remmy

• Hanami-Blossom

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, fountain said:

These are all great tips!

Personally, I always start with a title first. For some reason it just works for me. For others it might be different, but if you are stuck brainstorm some title ideas and your song can come from that.Β 
Listening to an instrumental or a song that you like is definitely a good source of inspiration, but you have to be careful not to replicate it of course. But in those moments when you are feeling a little writers block, it’s a great way to get some initial ideas out which you can then build upon!

Your last part may be the most important. This is a writing focused game first and foremost, and though your song may sound good to you in your head, it’s different when you are a judge reading it for the first time and only seeing the words themselves. Sure we can pick up on some rhythm, but the experience is entirely different. I would encourage everybody to proof read their songs as much as possible, and don’t just sing them in your head but specifically read the words for what they are, make sure everything makes sense and is clear. One thing that really helps achieve this is when players share their songs with each other and get feedback before submitting them, so if you are comfortable with this you can always ask in the thread if anybody is down to trade songs and offer advice! It can be really helpful and of course also helps make friends and more of a community here. :heart:
Β 

If anybody ever wants any specific advice or tips once the game starts, please feel free to tag Aurora or I and we will do the best we can to help! It’s what we are here for after all.Β :bird:

Thank you :blush: I actually spent some time researching online and reflecting on songwriting earlier this week in preparation for Golden Hit and I thought I would share some of my findings with everyone. With songwriting, I'm in my Begin Again.vinyl era where I am not a beginner but it's been so long I basically am "new" to this again so it makes for an interesting experience and perspective.

Β 

I'm obsessed with beautiful and glamorous song titles, it's like an art form in itself :jonny6: It might be the Libra or the INFP in me but I live for it!

Β 

I have a Google Doc right now that serves as my database for any song titles, words, lyrics, concepts that speak to me and I don't want to forget.

Β 

Another tip would be to have the courage to experiment, branch out and try other things. You don't need to stick with your original idea, you can always change your mind and come back to something that you previously dropped. This game's format of no eliminations is also advantageous for this since you know you'll be here next week so you have the freedom to take on different challenges without the risk of being eliminated.

Β 

Oop yes thank you for the extra clarification, I'm definitely not going to just submit All Too Well word for word and label it Hanami's Version :fan:

Β 

Even though we are not scored based on other elements of a song such as the melody or the production, I do think that it is still incredibly helpful while writing your lyrics to perhaps seek out those extra musical elements to serve as great sources of inspiration. Sometimes the words are just not flowing well but listening to a funky beat can reignite that lyricist within! The melody is like a fundamental part of songwriting for me, I usually hum the melody and try to find words to it as I go along. In this game I think it is wise to consider that the melody is not what you will be scored on, at the same time if creating melodies as you write the lyrics is what makes you happy and helps then go for it! At the end of the day, typically-speaking, the melody is still an integral part of a song. It just serves a different function in a game like this one.

Β 

In 2020 I actually created some production just by using the Garageband mobile app and the musical loops they already have available there. It is such a thrilling way to compose and connect with music. I lowkey want to get back into making production, maybe this time time not relying as much on the loops they already provide. My beats were serving fresh 90s house and funk music :katie2:

Β 

BRADIO'S POWER OF LIFE album is really speaking to me right now. Sometimes I get anxious for Round 1 or feel less inspired but this album really makes me feel excited about songwriting, music and life in general! :heart:

Β 

The production is crazy good in the first song and the second song makes me feel at peace :chick3:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Fun Fact: BRADIO also made the opening song to one of my favourite anime of all time Death Parade :alexz3:

Edited by Hanami-Blossom

12 minutes ago, Prisoner said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTisCkRITMAW1ga_TtXnoS

Β 

Alright this sounds funΒ :gaycatina1:

You’re right, it’s the Chinese Challenge inspired by my family :jonny5:Β we are looking for cultural bops inspired by your heritages!

Hope she’s safe from the big spiders xxΒ 

I need a Pokemon game set in an Australian-inspired region :lakitu: Quokkas are adorable!!! :heart: :alexz3:

Β 

While we wait for the round, enjoy this bizarre video of two koalas:

Β 

Β 

3 minutes ago, Hanami-Blossom said:

I need a Pokemon game set in an Australian-inspired region :lakitu: Quokkas are adorable!!! :heart: :alexz3:

Β 

While we wait for the round, enjoy this bizarre video of two koalas:

Β 

Β 

This is probably what Aurora is going through right nowΒ 

Β 

Not the Koala bullying thoughΒ :dancehall: justice for that Koala

21 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

Hope she’s safe from the big spiders xxΒ 

I heard he is using your book to squash them x

Just now, fountain said:

I heard he is using your book to squash them x

Well it’s a masterpiece and masterpieces can be used for everything like killing and big ugly spider to save your life xx

3 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

Well it’s a masterpiece and masterpieces can be used for everything like killing and big ugly spider to save your life xx

That should be a promotional sticker on the front coverΒ :whistle:

The "there's plenty of trees" is SENDING me :bibliahh:

Β 

btw DISCLAIMER: Koalas may look cute but they can seriously attack humans so if you come across a koala out in the wild or in the middle of Times Square, be careful!

my dream is to hold a koala and i'm gonna do that the first chance i get!!!! nobody's stopping me

Okay fine, while we wait would anybody like to play a revealing game of I Spy?

Β 

Β 

i spy with my little eye, something beginning with CΒ :giraffe:

Just now, fountain said:

Okay fine, while we wait would anybody like to play a revealing game of I Spy?

Β 

Β 

i spy with my little eye, something beginning with CΒ :giraffe:

c*nt because that's what i'm serving ?

1 minute ago, Remmy said:

my dream is to hold a koala and i'm gonna do that the first chance i get!!!! nobody's stopping me

What about the animal in your avi? What about the moles of the world, Remmy? Think of the moles plz

Just now, Remmy said:

c*nt because that's what i'm serving ?

Okay love this answer!! It’s true but also incorrect, no x

Just now, fountain said:

What about the animal in your avi? What about the moles of the world, Remmy? Think of the moles plz

moles are too filthy digging through all that dirt and stuff but if Monty Mole was real I'd happily hold him

Just now, Remmy said:

except for that koala! their claws serve Wolverine :jonnycat:

2 minutes ago, Hanami-Blossom said:

except for that koala! their claws serve Wolverine :jonnycat:

i'll take my chances. worst case scenario I have to punt it into the sky like i'm playing kickball.

Β 

ePz6Qz8n_400x400.png

• ATRL Moderator

unknown.png

Β 

Welcome, writers! What an impressive turnout for the debut season of ATRL's newest songwriting tournament,Β Golden Hit.

When we beganΒ conceptualisingΒ this season, we hoped to foster a small community of creatives in their songwriting journey.

Now here we are with a legion of lyricists encompassing both brand new and familiar faces to the "Hit" franchise family!

Β 

Without further ado, let me introduce you all to the first round of the season...

unknown.png

Β 

This challenge is an absoluteΒ classic, and a staple to writing tournaments of all monikers. Inspired by Golden Hit's very own judge AKA me!!, this challenge will focus on the four classical elements:Β water,Β earth,Β fire, andΒ air. As this is an inspiration prompt, we ask for your submissions for this round to beΒ inspired by one of the four classical elements. The journey you take us on from there is completely up to you! Will you harness the flow of water imagery, or opt for something more grounded? Perhaps you'll try a passionate love song, or a breezy carefree summer bop? As long as we can feel a strong elemental presence with one of these classical elements in your song, the possibilities are honestly endless.

Β 

Judge's Tips

?Β While name-dropping your element of choice in the title or lyrics of your song is fine, try making usΒ feelΒ the element, rather than reading it!

?Β Some elements may work together in harmony, while others may oppose one another. Perhaps try experimenting with two or more elements?

?Β If you're stuck, try listening to some songs you enjoy that are inspired by the elements, and use that as a starting point to form a unique angle.

Β 

Songs due viaΒ Google FormΒ submission byΒ Thu. May 19, 11:59PM EDT

Β 

If you've never submitted to an ATRL songwriting tournament before, or have never used Google Forms, read below for more information.

Β 

Β 
The form is secure, and we will not have any access to your Google account information. There are three main fields and one optional field to fill in: ATRL Username, Song Title, Lyrics, and Other Information
Β 
ATRL UsernameΒ is self-explanatory. Since you are submitting off-site, we are reliant on writers' honesty with regards to their identity so that we can properly score and rank your submissions! If you wish to remain anonymous, feel free to do so, however if multiple anonymous submissions are made, we cannot guarantee personally tailored feedback between rounds if that is an interest of yours.
Β 
Song TitleΒ andΒ LyricsΒ are also rather self-explanatory, however they are very important. Please title your songs! Not only can a stunning song title make an excellent first impression, it helps with judging and challenge results table organisation a lot.Β Lyrics are the main body of what we will be reviewing, so this is the most important field to complete. While you may choose to write or paste your lyrics into this field directly, we recommend working on your submissions onΒ Google Docs, and pasting the link to the document in this field. Pro tip: it allows a lot more flexibilityΒ with formatting and even post-deadline corrections! If you do submit via Google Docs however, make sure that you enable permissions for anyone with the link to be able to view your song, otherwise we won't be able to review it!

Finally, theΒ Other informationΒ section field is for anything additional you may want to include. A brief summary or some context behind the song, any artworks/instrumentals/recordings etc. that you may wish to include in support of the lyrics, or just a small message clarifying any potentially ambiguous lyrics or creative decisions you made during the process of writing the submission. This is an optional section, and sometimes letting the lyrics speak for themselves is even more powerful than a summary that is just as long as the song! Keep in mind anything in this section will not impact your final score.

As a small added incentive, there will be a bonus prize to the winner of each round during Golden Hit. Challenge winners will have their very own customΒ Golden TokenΒ made for them, which they may choose to use as a forum avatar such as @fountain and @Aurora have, or just collect as a souvenir from your time writing with us during Golden Hit. There is no additional bonus for writers who collect the most tokens, it's simply a small gesture to thank you for submitting such beautiful works for us to read!

Β 

@Julia Fox@Insanity@Hanami-Blossom@boubour@Remmy@Astro@Jackson@Achilles.@Seiko Oomori@Speezy@Euterpe@GentleDance@ughgabriel@Obsession@OreGuy@Overprotected@JoeAg@TruGemini@β˜†lex@Augmented@luckystrike@Arrows@Blue.@8thPrince@hurricane326@JonginBeyΒ @Better MistakesΒ @TylerbvΒ @RobDeWittBukaterΒ @EpicSongFanΒ @Lorenzo22Β @JessieΒ @EnigmaticAndroidΒ @KunstΒ @Prisoner

Β 

Lastly, please voice any questions or concerns you may have relating to the challenge in the thread.

Good luck writers, and may the elements guide you!

Β 

unknown.png

A round fitfully in ode to an icon :clap3:

Β 

Hope everybody enjoys the challenge! :heart:

Aurora was actually supposed to post it, but a dingo ate his baby and all your posts convinced me to bring it forward x

Β 

Shout out to Element for being roped in last minute to post The Element Challenge, fittinglyΒ :heart:

I feel like earth is the hardest one, but it's somewhat tempting just because there are 3249324324 water and fire related songs :rip:Β 

Β 

Stream this air BOP.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.