• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRF.

• Sunderland 4ever

• SLIME

• madonnas

juro que had such a memorable video :date4:

24k is so ****ing clean and fresh, she needs to get a kaytranada collab asap. jessy lanza's video looked awkwardly funny :skull:

bree's charisma is unmatched

JXXJE3A.png

TOP 20 MUSIC VIDEOS

#10.

Bad Bunny feat. Yaviah

"Bichiyal"

directed by Cliqua & Stillz

Bad Bunny released several videos this year and most of them were excellent but this one is probably my favorite. Everything looks insanely cool, makes you wanna hang out with everyone there.

#09.

Rico Nasty

"Own It"

directed by Philippa Price

Sometimes you can make a great music video just based on some really cool outfits and attitude. Rico knows that well.

#08.

Rina Sawayama

"XS"

directed by Ali Kurr

Really does a good job of contrasting the cheerful pop/R&B sound of (most of) the song with the bleakness and anti-capitalist sentiment of the lyrics. Slightly disturbing, very cool.

#07.

Kate NV

"Plans"

directed by Kate NV & Pavel Kling

An adorable nod to the weirdest moments of 80's Soviet TV with a funny, modern, surreal twist. It radiates so much joy! Also the guy playing the sax seems super cool to me.

#06.

Charli XCX

"Forever"

directed by Dan Streit & Charli XCX

Many videos tried to capture "the quarantine experience" and life after Ms. Corona but none of them did it as perfectly as this. It's a lovely dedication to her longtime fans going through a tough time.

#05.

ECCO2K

"Peroxide"

directed by ECCO2K

It makes me feel so small to watch this music video. The landscape with the windmills is wonderful yet intimidating, but seeing ECCO standing up with his small boat in the midst of all of it is... inspiring?

#04.

Protomartyr

"Processed by the Boys"

directed by David Allen

I think it's corny when people reference memes in music videos, but this is an exception. Maybe it works with Brazilian memes! Next time maybe get Iceage recreating Ines Brasil in Telegrama Legal?

#03.

FKA twigs

"Sad Day"

directed by Hiro Murai

Is there something twigs cannot do? I guess put the full song on the music video, but besides that, everything is possible when you're her. Also I really wanna go that Chinese takeout in London she's in.

#02.

Yves Tumor feat. Diana Gordon

"Kerosene!"

directed by SSION

If there's was any doubt that Yves Tumor was one of the best rockstars of our generation, this video confirms they are. A fantastically made video with so much personality and cleverness.

#01.

Dua Lipa

"Physical"

directed by CANADA

CANADA are masters at making music videos and the whole concept behind this video, the colors, the choreography, the bits of animation, several scenes such as the mirror one, are flawless. Combined with the strongest demonstration of star power Dua has ever had, it really seems to be a music video that was made to be as visually and aesthetically enjoyable as possible.

Gucci & XS :heart::heart::heart: Physical is a very great pick for #1 :clap3: Definitely a great video to come back to

Ready to see what else is on the way :foxaylove:

I didn't pay that much attention to videos this year, but Physical is definitely a deserving #1

Shameika :alexz:finally got a video :dies:

Your friend being in the Jessy video! How cool, one of the few MVs I watched this year and liked nnn. Actually Kate NV's was really good too and Shameika! And Physical obviously, deserving winner.

Physical is such an eye candy, synchronized color harmony elevated by Dua's dynamiec synthpop masterpiece

Physical and Sad Day are the only videos Ive seen from the list :deadbanana4:

not much into videos anymore sadly 

Physical has a nice concept. At first, colors are presented individially but then all of them end up mingling. Thanks for the recommendation!

• ATRL Moderator

besides xs and forever im serving idk her with this list. :deadbanana2:i know the songs but i didnt even know sad day had a video!

Kate NV's Plains is a pleasant discovery for me! That's called a well executed video concept. :clap3:

Sad Day, Kerosene! and Physical are great too.

whew, there's so many taste!

Physical getting best MV of the era :jonny: 

XS is masterpiece :jonny:

I discovered Plains this summer and it's excellence :jonny: 

Forever' MV makes me emotional actually :'( 

Haven't really followed videos that much. Only one I'm familiar with is XS and Physical (both of which are great!)

Also, Let's Get Physical>>>>>Physical :thing: 

On 12/5/2020 at 5:03 AM, Ewan Chaos said:

Your friend being in the Jessy video! How cool, one of the few MVs I watched this year and liked nnn. Actually Kate NV's was really good too and Shameika! And Physical obviously, deserving winner.

I literally told him to go :rip: they were casting in NYC and I told him he ****ing better go. And he did! I'm so happy

On 12/5/2020 at 10:14 AM, BlackoutZone said:

Physical is such an eye candy, synchronized color harmony elevated by Dua's dynamiec synthpop masterpiece

Exactly! She is the moment.

On 12/5/2020 at 6:45 PM, TheWayWeWere said:

whew, there's so many taste!

Physical getting best MV of the era :jonny: 

XS is masterpiece :jonny:

I discovered Plains this summer and it's excellence :jonny: 

Forever' MV makes me emotional actually :'( 

Same re:Forever :'( kinda made my year tbh

On 12/5/2020 at 2:46 PM, Madame X said:

besides xs and forever im serving idk her with this list. :deadbanana2:i know the songs but i didnt even know sad day had a video!

it was released... way after Magdalene came out :deadbanana4:

anyway, top 10 mixtapes update coming shortly!

Mixtapes coming omg

I'm really rocking with your top 6. I didn't keep up with too many vids this year, but I did just put a TV in my room. 

ba5259a9ebb0489d.png

XS, Forever & Physical :clap3:

JXXJE3A.png

TOP 10 MIXTAPES

#10. Ojerime - B4 I Breakdown (alt r&b)

This mixtape was made after up and coming singer/songwriter Ojerime suffered a mental breakdown due to stress and exhaustion, and on B4 I Breakdown, her debut mixtape, she focuses on her experience regarding mental health and emotional vulnerability. But doesn't leave away the usual sexiness and moodiness that her music is known for, adding some slight psychedelic and nocturnal touches to the early 00s style she's begun to be known for.

Highlights: "Empty", "Give It Up 4 Me", "Mansur's Interlude", "SWV (This Ain't Easy)" // BUY

#09. Elheist - Wholesome Goody (alt r&b/uk bass)

The debut mixtape by London singer, rapper and producer Elheist is a compilation of tracks that sound equally as weird as they do fun and joyful. Assisted by people like Kelsey Lu, Sega Bodega or Lafawndah, Wholesome Goody has upbeat tracks meant for the dancefloor (at least once COVID-19 is done) and chill tracks that invite self-reflection, all done with some of the most detailed and interesting production possible.

Highlights: "Done Talking", "TEASR", "Bring It Home", "W.A.T.C." // BUY

#08. Bladee - Exeter (cloud rap)

Bladee is... divisive to say the least. I feel like with Exeter, if you hate him, this hatred will most definitely not go away, but if you were somewhat close to loving him, this might just do it. It's a very short mixtape in which we hear him sing and rap under some of the most experimental stuff he's ever done, it feels very melodic (almost pop?) yet accompanied by erratic, glitchy production, courtesy of Gud. Very ugly and pretty at the same time.

Highlights: "Mirror (Hymn)", "Wonderland" (feat. ECCO2K), "Merry-Go-Round", "Lovestory" (feat. ECCO2K), "Imaginary" // STREAM

#07. Pop Smoke - Meet the Woo 2 (brooklyn drill)

Pop Smoke was taken away from us way too soon. It took me a while to get into his stuff, but he was essentially the pioneer of drill in New York and joined together hip hop scenes as far away from each other as the ones in NYC and London. This mixtape contained some of his best, rawest material with some of his best bars. While most of his posthumous debut felt... kind of rushed and manufactured, to me at least, this feels 100% genuine and true to him. RIP.

Highlights: "Shake the Room" (feat. Quavo), "Christopher Walking", "Element", "Armed and Dangerous", "Mannequin" (feat. Lil Tjay) // STREAM

#06. Bree Runway - 2000AND4EVA (pop rap/r&b/electropop)

Bree Runway is here, and she's here to stay, period. If her debut EP released last year, Be Runway, saw a lot of potential in her eventual popstardom, her debut mixtape, 2000AND4EVA, confirms all of it. While a tad short, and the singles being its highlights, she shows lots of versatility, going from sensual pop to an emotional ballad to aggressive trap to... what the Aaliyah and Trent Reznor collab would have sounded like?

Highlights: "Apeshit", "Damn Daniel" (feat. Yung Baby Tate), "Little Nokia", "Gucci" (feat. Maliibu Mitch), "No Sir (Freestyle)" // STREAM

#05. La Zowi - Élite (trap/experimental hip hop)

French-Spanish rapper La Zowi's second mixtape Élite feels like the long-awaited meeting point between Spanish trap and contemporary experimental club music. You can find production credits from people like Sinjin Hawke, Zora Jones, Jam City, NAAFI associates Paul Marmota and Wasted and many more, all of it contributing to Zowi's narcotizing yet confident flow, but demonstrating an incredible sense of style, there's nothing within Spanish-language rap music that sounds as edgy and effective as Élite.

Highlights: "Fulana" (feat. Ian Isiah), "Gogo", "Boss Bitch", "Drug Dealer", "Phonecall" // STREAM

#04. Pa Salieu - Send Them to Coventry (uk rap/afroswing)

Pa Salieu's debut mixtape is as likely as you're going to get to hear every sound that is relevant in UK rap right now distilled into a single record. From the aggressive drill sounds that have taken over in the past few years to dancehall and afrobeats that are a nod to his Gambian heritage. But most importantly, the way he narrates the hardships of his life in Coventry feels genuine and descriptive in a way that feels comparable to that of legends like Dizzee, or contemporaries like Simz or Thai. He's probably gonna be as big as them, and he deserves it.

Highlights: "Block Boy", "Frontline", "Betty", "More Paper" (feat. Eight9FLY), "T.T.M.", "My Family (feat. BackRoad Gee)", "B***K" // STREAM

#03. Oklou - Galore (ambient pop)

I don't really know how to describe this but this mixtape feels like someone giving you a comforting hug, drinking hot coffee or tea, or maybe being comfy in bed on a fall day while it's raining and kinda cold outside. Galore sounds... comfy. It's sweet, with some of Oklou's most accomplished songwriting and most varied production that isn't given up in favor of an aesthetic or anything. As obviously beautiful as you can find a record released this year to be.

Highlights: "Fall", "Unearth Me"; "God's Chariots", "Nightime", "Another Night", "I Didn't Give Up on You" // STREAM

#02. Flo Milli - Ho, Why Is You Here? (trap)

Flo is legend, is an icon, and she is the moment. Now come on now. It's probably going to be hard to find a rap album or mixtape with as much charisma and charm as Flo Milli's full length debut, Ho, Why Is You Here? Aside from the already iconic TikTok smash hits "Beef FloMix" and "In the Party", the Alabama rapper shows a lot of energy, confidence and especially a lot of talent on each and every track of this record. She knows she's the ****, and she's gonna flaunt it. As she should!

Highlights: "Beef FloMix", "Like That Bitch", "In the Party", "Weak", "19", "May I", "Not Friendly" // STREAM

#01. Dreamcrusher - Panopticon! (noise/industrial)

2020 was an intense year for... literally everybody. So it makes sense that, for me personally at least, Panopticon! by Dreamcrusher was one of the records that soundtracked it. Dreamcrusher is known for their abrasive, intense, violent noise music, and this mixtape done for experimental music label PTP is no exception. Composed of samples from artists as varied as Dean Blunt, Genesis, Basquiat, Black Box and more, it feels like having your head constantly smashed against a wall, or perhaps even snorting 5G, in the best way possible.

Highlights: it's technically one long track so... // BUY

6GugCbq.png

physical is a pretty video but idk why people think it's flawless or smth :skull: don't drag me

forever is so simple but it somehow makes me emotional :cries2:

xs :clap3: sad day is lovely but i wish they didn't chop the song up so much

idk the mixtapes

wow amazing picks for the music videos :clap3:

perfect review for galore tbh, glad seeing oklou this high! she's way too underrated!

Flo EASILY my favorite female rap album of the year :jonny5: the other girls couldn't deliver a filler-free album like her

Bree disappointed :katie: 

I only listened Bree from the list and it was good :clap3: her Apeshit > Bey's Apeshit :eli: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.