Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

SweetTalker

33 minutes ago, Mke1979 said:

Wonder why Dance The night didn't make the cut of her latest tour? 

She hates it and rightfully so. :thing:

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• Cain

• SayIt

• Relampago.

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Yes, AND said:

Training season as lead single ? Sure cos the no 27 peaking smash would have made things SO much better. 

You do know TS debuted at 27 with no radio, Houdini debuted at 11 with 25M radio, plus TS was received better than Houdini in US, her team completely destroyed the song with boring mv and no radio, ditching it for Illusion…

4 hours ago, Contessa said:

Illusion could have easily been the summer hit of the year but it was handled so poorly :weeps: My fav song from her.

It literally couldnt if you mean in the US. It sounds like the 2010-2018 EDM type of tracks that just died out. It has no heart to it unfortunately. It's the weakest of the three singles released imo. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Finally found two songs I like. It seemed impossible there for quite a while

8 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

It literally couldnt if you mean in the US. It sounds like the 2010-2018 EDM type of tracks that just died out. It has no heart to it unfortunately. It's the weakest of the three singles released imo. 

"Illusion" is not EDM tho

It leans more into house with its prominent piano riff with the french house inspired middle eight instrumental loop

I think it would work better as 4th single of the album

Edited by mike_int

1 minute ago, mike_int said:

"Illusion" is not EDM tho

It leans more into house with its prominent piano riff with the french house inspired middle eight instrumental loop

True. It's just I remember a lot of house inspired EDM tracks that remind me of it. Repetitive lyrics and the electronic production takes the forefront. It sounded instantly dated upon release (which isn't a bad thing...it's a throwback sound and I get that...but it totally would not work in today's musical climate in the US). I'm surprised it didnt do more in Europe though. That came as a genuine surprise to me. But north america? Yeah I always knew it would tank there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

True. It's just I remember a lot of house inspired EDM tracks that remind me of it. Repetitive lyrics and the electronic production takes the forefront. It sounded instantly dated upon release (which isn't a bad thing...it's a throwback sound and I get that...but it totally would not work in today's musical climate in the US). I'm surprised it didnt do more in Europe though. That came as a genuine surprise to me. But north america? Yeah I always knew it would tank there. 

To me it feels like they didnt even push the single, even in Europe. They just let it go.

I feel like there is lot of options for singles but they need to promote them.

"End Of An Era" if you edit out the talking parts would work well as radio edit, it has this care-free summer feeling and is actually quite chill what people like these days

"These Walls" is quite Harry Styles-esque  and "Whatcha Doin" being the typical funk/disco heavy bass driven pop  would both work well in US market as summer singles

"Falling Forever" and "Maria" would work well as international singles, "Maria" especially in Europe, LATAM and Southeast Asia

I personally really like the album as full, but I feel the whole concept was badly marketed. People expected something darker based on Houdini and TS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mike_int said:

To me it feels like they didnt even push the single, even in Europe. They just let it go.

I feel like there is lot of options for singles but they need to promote them.

"End Of An Era" if you edit out the talking parts would work well as radio edit, it has this care-free summer feeling and is actually quite chill what people like these days

"These Walls" is quite Harry Styles-esque  and "Whatcha Doin" being the typical funk/disco heavy bass driven pop  would both work well in US market as summer singles

"Falling Forever" and "Maria" would work well as international singles, "Maria" especially in Europe, LATAM and Southeast Asia

I personally really like the album as full, but I feel the whole concept was badly marketed. People expected something darker based on Houdini and TS.

Exactly! It comes down to horrible handling of the era imo. I know a lot of ppl are saying the music itself is to blame and while I kind of agree that for the most part...a lot of the tracks sound watered down and almost...soulless? I kind of think there is salvageable elements to it that could have made for a proper era. Like These Walls and Watcha Doin (if remixed to feature like Doja Cat) both STILL have a fair chance at doing something for the era overall.

I personally feel like End of an Era now would be a dud sadly BUT had it been the LEAD single I actually think it would have given a proper impression of what the era was going to be and it would be unique enough to stand out. Houdini would have been a perfect 2nd single / follow up and then These Walls and Watcha Doing Remix as 3rd and 4th single. That would have been a really proper era. Obviously this is all contingent that she also made better music videos, better promo plan and had better fashion etc...so many elements to this era have devolved or just been bad right from the start it's just wild

17 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

Exactly! It comes down to horrible handling of the era imo. I know a lot of ppl are saying the music itself is to blame and while I kind of agree that for the most part...a lot of the tracks sound watered down and almost...soulless? I kind of think there is salvageable elements to it that could have made for a proper era. Like These Walls and Watcha Doin (if remixed to feature like Doja Cat) both STILL have a fair chance at doing something for the era overall.

I personally feel like End of an Era now would be a dud sadly BUT had it been the LEAD single I actually think it would have given a proper impression of what the era was going to be and it would be unique enough to stand out. Houdini would have been a perfect 2nd single / follow up and then These Walls and Watcha Doing Remix as 3rd and 4th single. That would have been a really proper era. Obviously this is all contingent that she also made better music videos, better promo plan and had better fashion etc...so many elements to this era have devolved or just been bad right from the start it's just wild

I think it all started with last minuted rushed Houdini video and concentrating on DTN possible Oscar nomination, then again last minute boring-ass TS video which killed the momentum of the song after spectacular Grammy performance.

The whole vibe and styling should have been changed to more "summery" one after album release but she is still continuing with black/red theme which is very disconnected to what album cover and imagery looks like and most of the songs sounds.

I do like the album, and I listen to it sometimes few times a day in full so musically Im very happy with it, however then overall handling was not done well.

• Like 5

Mmmmm honestly French Exit is top 3 on the album

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, SweetTalker said:

Mmmmm honestly French Exit is top 3 on the album

it is interesting how we all have different taste, for me French Exit is the least interesting song on the album, not bad, but anti-climatic

Also I was really expecting some french house summer dance song based on the name haha

• Like 1

Still need to snatch the deluxe vinyl when I next have some spare cash! It's too gorgeous not to

It's actually devastating how her team completely botched the whole rollout of this era.

* Lead Single was supposed to be out on Nov. 2 but was changed last minute and delayed by a week.

* 2nd single was teased and performed early and released literally 3 weeks later.

* 3rd Single was should've dropped with the album was released 3 weeks early without any promo.

* No other single was released with album to promote it and till now we don't have a 4th single.

* The whole promo was scheduled during album release week, nothing before or after that….

4 hours ago, AM98GJ said:

Still need to snatch the deluxe vinyl when I next have some spare cash! It's too gorgeous not to

Im happy with my choice to cancel deluxe vinyl and get curacao blue and alternative cover instead, they look cool together

2 hours ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

It's actually devastating how her team completely botched the whole rollout of this era.

* Lead Single was supposed to be out on Nov. 2 but was changed last minute and delayed by a week.

* 2nd single was teased and performed early and released literally 3 weeks later.

* 3rd Single was should've dropped with the album was released 3 weeks early without any promo.

* No other single was released with album to promote it and till now we don't have a 4th single.

* The whole promo was scheduled during album release week, nothing before or after that….

I think priority for them were summer shows, which she sold out within minutes and then they will concentrate on RO tour internationally together with re-release of the album.

If we are lucky we get 4th single before Glastonbury.

At the end its touring and brand endorsements which brings millions, not album sales or charts position and its all just a business.

I still think they should release or "leak" the original TS video

edit: Kuala Lumpur show sold-out completely, 2nd show added

Screenshot-2024-06-10-154010.jpg

Edited by mike_int

7 minutes ago, mike_int said:

Im happy with my choice to cancel deluxe vinyl and get curacao blue and alternative cover instead, they look cool together

idk for some reason I just see it as a light blue vinyl, kinda meh. But that's also probably bc we're so spoilt with all the vinyl releases atm :jonnycat:

the split colour definitely does it for me. I was considering the alternative cover tho 

Is Dua touring the USA soon?

18 minutes ago, AM98GJ said:

idk for some reason I just see it as a light blue vinyl, kinda meh. But that's also probably bc we're so spoilt with all the vinyl releases atm :jonnycat:

the split colour definitely does it for me. I was considering the alternative cover tho 

Actually it looks very pretty since it is translucent and the color is turquoise and basically it looks "sparkly" where the grooves are on vinyl itself

I didnt like the shade of blue on the split one, didnt match the blue of the cover and Im anal about it haha

but still, so many options and they went for very basic looking vinyls-

10 minutes ago, Mke1979 said:

Is Dua touring the USA soon?

EU and US tour should be next year, nothing official announced yet ;)

9 hours ago, Mke1979 said:

Wonder why Dance The night didn't make the cut of her latest tour? 

She better debut DTN at Glastonbury, it's a big global hit, she sabotage Houdini in January & February during award season for DTN

5 minutes ago, Ivan_brit said:

She better debut DTN at Glastonbury, it's a big global hit, she sabotage Houdini in January & February during award season for DTN

Maybe she really started to hate the song exactly for the reason she was not able to push Houdini/TS properly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.