This Was 2022 | Beyoncé's groove

supaspaz

Finally caught up when the next reveal im free tonight but working tomorrow but i don't mind catching up :D

• Replies
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• State of Grace.

• cockatoo

• madonnas

• ATRL Moderator

If I did another update within the next half hour, would that be too late?

• ATRL Moderator

Okay, so last night didn't work. But be here in approximately three hours (noon PDT) for the next update!

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, cockatoo said:

I shall be in attendance

9H8o0AQ.gif

is that madonnas hung up dance :dies: 

• ATRL Moderator

VRQiqrL.png

CHICKEN TERIYAKI

Average score: 7.15

High score: 10 (@CBC, @byzantium, @madonnas, @Norte, @Sanguine)

Low score: 1 (@BlackoutZone)

Tongue firmly in cheek, Rosalía skates from Tribeca to Washington Heights on this third single from Motomami, heavy with attitude and gold chains like a ‘90s Naomi Campbell as she flashes a wad of bills and gifts for your shawty. The stank reggaeton rattle of “Chicken Teriyaki” lends itself naturally to a music video set in a dance studio, where her crew performs fierce heels choreography and a chorus readymade for TikTok.

Best bit: “Y sí, la fama es una condena/Pero dime otra que te pague la cena”

ATRL says…: “She's just saying shit,” @cockatoo whined. But @Ewan Chaos countered that it was “MASSIVELY underrated. ‘The lyrics suck’ who tf cares?! A BOP!” @madonnas agreed. “This is the single that made everyone think the album was going to be shit,” he wrote. “Glad I was on the right side of history.”

• ATRL Moderator

Pa ti, naki, chicken teriyaki

9H8o0AQ.gif

If you get it, you get it!

The fact that Chicken Teriyaki got this far at all is a miracle :laugh: So I'm not mad it at it already being out even though I like this more than like... the entirety of Midnights and half of SOS.

• ATRL Moderator

Up next is an opening track!

• ATRL Moderator

dMOzktH.png

I'M THAT GIRL

Average score: 7.16

High score: 10 (@Soda Pop Queen, @Reverie, @Taemira)

Low score: 1 (@305)

“Please, motherfuckers ain't stoppin' me/Please, motherfuckers ain't stoppin' me,” Beyoncé declares in the opening moments of Renaissance via a sample of Tommy Wright III’s “Still Pimpin,” a bold announcement of her return to the pop music scene after more than six years since her last studio album. And while heavy is the head that holds the crown (“I didn’t want this power,” she croons), Queen Bey also knows that her public has been eagerly anticipating – nay, desperately needing – her musical revival. After all, it’s just that she’s that girl. As it pinballs from rap to Afrobeat to spacey pop hymn, “I’m That Girl” is a difficult track for the listener to get their arms around, but it rewards repeat listens that can gradually unpack its intricate layers – setting the stage for the metamorphic album to come.

Best bit: when the beat briefly drops out under “I pull relief in” and then Beyoncé inhaaaaaales

Chicken Teriyaki is fun, nice bop :clap3:

It should had lasted more than CUUUuuute tho

I'm that Girl is def one of the weaker tracks on REN, still cute tho

Ugh I was hoping it was Lavender Haze but didn't wanna jinx it :emofish: Not mad at I'm That Girl being out though, as great as it is. Just personally on the bottom tier of the album.

ITG production is fine but I just couldn't like Beyoncé voice on the track :sorry:

Good riddance to both.

Energy, Move, Late Night Talking should be OUT asap too

• ATRL Moderator

sfEmVC2.png

LA FAMA (LIVE EN EL PALAU SANT JORDI)

Average score: 7.17

High score: 10 (@CBC, @Katamari, @byzantium, @Sanguine)

Low score: 3 (@MP2K, @Quicksand)

A live recording of your lead single is certainly an easy way to pad out a deluxe rerelease of your album. But this solo rendition of “La Fama” from a concert at Barcelona’s Palau Sant Jordi, with Rosalía taking over The Weeknd’s parts, also sounds fuller and more cohesive. Voters responded by scoring it higher than not only nearly every other bonus track from Motomami +, but also the original song.

Best bit: the extended synth intro has an uneasy air that enhances the song’s thematic turbulence

ATRL says…: “That's what we've been waiting for!” @Katamari exclaimed. @cockatoo shared that “I normally hate live recordings on streaming but this is lowkey better than the studio version.”

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, State of Grace. said:

Energy, Move, Late Night Talking should be OUT asap too

You might be onto something...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.