Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

why wasn't Vanessa Williams bigger?

Featured Replies

I'm listening to her songs rn and her voice is so good :jonny4: 

 

tbh i don't know how big she was in the 90s, i know she had some hits but looking at her stats i feel like she should've been way bigger

 

 

Her career started with bad controversy, she was Miss America in 1984 (first African American to be) but a magazine brought and published nude pictures of Vanessas without her own consent.

She should’ve been bigger, especially in Europe, but she had a pretty good run:

 

Her debut album went Gold + Had a top 10 pop hit and 2 other R&B hits

Her sophomore album was a 3x platinum smash, had a #1 hit and 2 other top 40 hits

Her third album went platinum and had a top 20 hit
She had 2 soundtrack top 5 hits + her christmas album went Gold

 

Everything after that didn't really do much but her 1988-1996 run was pretty successful.

 

With that being said, this song is such a BOP :jonny: she slayed it:

 

Wow. wow oh wow. I am literally listening to Save The Best For Last when I saw this thread.

 

i dont know, but she has a nice voice and is beautiful. she deserved better. (but she did have success)

2 minutes ago, sunbathinganimal said:

what the hell i had no idea she was a singer :deadbanana4:

You've never heard this song?

 

 

Just now, Inverted said:

You've never heard this song?

 

 

no :deadbanana4:

looking at her stats she was never big in the UK but I still can't believe this totally passed me by :deadbanana4:

Save the Best for Last is THAT song, so I have no idea. The quintessential 90s ballad :jonny5: 

5 minutes ago, sunbathinganimal said:

no :deadbanana4:

looking at her stats she was never big in the UK but I still can't believe this totally passed me by :deadbanana4:

Most younger millennials in the US don't know about her singing career either. They recognize her from Ugly Betty and Desperate Housewives.

2 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Most younger millennials in the US don't know about her singing career either. They recognize her from Ugly Betty and Desperate Housewives.

yeah that's where I know her from

 

OT: FlJyRlQagAEge4p?format=jpg&name=large

 

 

Edited by sunbathinganimal

She did pretty well. She earned many Grammy nominations and won other awards.

"Save the Best for Last" was so huge that I knew the song but had no idea it was Vanessa (I knew her more as an actress).  Then when I found out it was her, I assumed she only did ballads (which aren't really my thing).

 

I'm glad I decided to buy The Comfort Zone after randomly finding it at a Goodwill, because "Running Back to You" is a BOP! :jamming: She deserved better as a singer smdh

She pivoted too quickly and too early from pop/R&B to American songbook chanteuse

 

I think if she had done more pop albums she would have had a bigger career 

After the success of Ugly Betty where the industry saw her acting talent, I am shocked she has not been involved in any of these musicals released. Not even the live musicals on tv. 

1 hour ago, glacier76 said:

After the success of Ugly Betty where the industry saw her acting talent, I am shocked she has not been involved in any of these musicals released. Not even the live musicals on tv. 

She was known in the entertainment industry as an actor long before Ugly Betty. Her first acting gig was in the 1980s.

she will always be the colors of the wind chanteuse to me. that song was huge too.

spacer.png

I can't believe her '90s work has been mostly forgotten. Some of these songs are the soundtrack to my childhood. :rip:

 

 

 

She’s very talented and pretty. I think she had a great career! 

Her overall career is extremely impressive, even if her music career didn't have a ton of longevity.

7 hours ago, Inverted said:

Most younger millennials in the US don't know about her singing career either. They recognize her from Ugly Betty and Desperate Housewives.

I loooooooooooooved her in Ugly Betty

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.