Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!! 🎧💿

Artists that are way too overhyped?

Featured Replies

Which artists do you believe are way too overhyped or are given too much praise? 
 

Discuss and keep it cute

  • Replies 79
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • TaylorNation
    TaylorNation

    *insert artist you hate here* 

  • cyberpunkgoth
    cyberpunkgoth

    the thing is her music is nothing groundbreaking or that good her music is just... okay her voice is nothing special either and her stage presence is terrible and then you see the

  • We can't say her name or else her fans will throw a tantrum here. But she knows who she is. And they know it too! 

Taylor Swift 100%

Drake too

Edited by Big Bad Wolf

I wouldn't say SZA as an artist is overhyped, but SOS was not the masterpiece critics were trying to pass it as. :dies:

Edited by Virgos Groove

  • Author
3 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

I wouldn't say SZA as an artist is necessarily overhyped, but SOS was not the masterpiece critics were trying to pass it as. :dies:

That’s interesting because I found SOS a good display of SZA’s songwriting and versatility. Why do you feel like that?

We can't say her name or else her fans will throw a tantrum here. But she knows who she is. And they know it too! :giraffe:

6 minutes ago, Love Again said:

That’s interesting because I found SOS a good display of SZA’s songwriting and versatility. Why do you feel like that?

Extremely bloated tracklisting, and I found the production to be really generic in comparison to Ctrl. There's some songs I'll take from it (Good Days is an 11), but the acclaim it got from P4K left me baffled, especially when they criticized Summer Walker for the same reasons.

Edited by Virgos Groove

  • Author
3 minutes ago, GentleDance said:

 

IMG_4384.thumb.gif.5d5a2203ec1c3c3265127

What about her do you think is overhyped?

I’m gonna say Taylor, but only because I don’t think it’s possible for someone to be THAT huge without being at least a little bit overrated. 

 

Also Gaga. She’s great at everything except having a good discography. Like, the output is not nearly as great for her fans to be acting the way they do.

Edited by conquxror

What is it to be overrated? It seems to be all relevative. I've seen people on here refer to Taylor as a overrated writer but she is fairly and accurately rated amongst both her country and pop peers because that is the crux of her artistry. If she was praised as high as Normanj for her dancing skill then a discussion of overratedness can be had.

This is yet another *name someone you hate* thread sis, but I'll try to answer seriously :eli: 

 

Don't get me wrong, I do love looots of his music, and I'm glad that someone from our community found amazing success like him, but I honestly think Frank Ocean is a tad overpraised. I feel like so much of that praise has gotten into his head and that's why he was acting like a pretentious, spoiled, and out-of-touch diva some months ago at Coachella (over the last couple of years really, that PrEP+ nights mess alone!!!!). Blonde and Channel Orange are both good albums but his attitude is that of some legend like David Bowie. I would say I'm perched for his long-awaited album to drop but I have a feeling he's gonna disappear for more years after the recent PR disaster.

Edited by State of Grace.

Ice Spice by far :rip: She gives literally nothing. 

 

I don't understand how Taylor is supposed to be overhyped, people literally just consume her music a lot because they like it. She barely even does anything for attention besides record her music and perform at her shows. Just because she's not your cup of tea doesn't make her overhyped 

4 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

This is yet another *name someone you hate* thread sis, but I'll try to answer seriously :eli: 

 

Don't get me wrong, I do love looots of hits music, and I'm glad that someone from our community found amazing success like him, but I honestly think Frank Ocean is a tad overpraised. I feel like so much of that praise has gotten into his head and that's why he was acting like a pretentious, spoiled, and out-of-touch diva some months ago at Coachella (over the last couple of years really, that PrEP+ nights mess alone!!!!). Blonde and Channel Orange are both good albums but his attitude is that of some legend like David Bowie. I would say I'm perched for his long-awaited album to drop but I have a feeling he's gonna disappear for more years after the recent PR disaster.

:clap3::clap3::clap3:

 

He's a genuinely talented artist, but the way he forces the "I'm eLuSiVe because I'm a ReAl ArTiSt1!!" schtick (and the way his fans eat it up everytime) has always left a bad taste in my mouth.

17 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

I wouldn't say SZA as an artist is overhyped, but SOS was not the masterpiece critics were trying to pass it as. :dies:

I agree. I've listened and tried to get into it multiple times, but it's just not something I'm connecting with. I don't know if I'm just missing something, but I find it to be rather plain—dragging on for far too long.

 

I feel like she's getting the praise and recognition that artists like Dawn Richard should be receiving.

  • Author
5 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Ice Spice

I 100 % agree, it baffles me she blew up as much as she did this year. Her music is trash and she’s not talented at all

Anyone saying Taylor, Gaga or Beyoncé in here should just be banned immediately :gaycat:

Just now, Love Again said:

I 100 % agree, it baffles me she blew up as much as she did this year. Her music is trash and she’s not talented at all

I think it's just a very clear example how the industry "makes" stars, and how it's kinda hard to spot until they're pushing someone like Ice Spice :deadbanana2:

 

Like yeah she's a little interesting visually, but her lyrical content is empty. Her delivery serves retirement home. She has nothing to offer intellectually or artistically (so far anyway).

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.