• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• State of Grace.

• cockatoo

• madonnas

• ATRL Moderator

First up, one of these albums will be eliminated.

• ATRL Moderator

Here we go!

Heard AHAP on a store today... a premonition that it'll win, hopefully

• ATRL Moderator

ccpYRaB.png

SAOKO

Average score: 8.38

High score: 10 (@supaspaz, @305, @Rev8, @Soda Pop Queen@CBC, @4Real, @kandicha, @Ewan Chaos, @State of Grace.@Virgos Groove, @madonnas@Subomie, @creativity., @Sanguine)

Low score: 3 (@cockatoo)

This opening track from Motomami is the key to the era, a declaration of metamorphosis as Rosalía transforms from flamenco caterpillar to urbano music butterfly. Brash and unabashedly unconventional, “Saoko” flits between jangly flourishes of jazz percussion and a grimy reggaeton thrust that feels like a warning. The title is a Japanization of “Saoco,” a Puerto Rican slang term for having outstanding rhythm and flavor, as well as a 2004 classic by Wisin and Daddy Yankee whose refrain gets interpolated in the introduction. (Another line, in which a woman calls herself their “bizcochito,” inspired Rosalía’s response track later in the album.) Serving as the second single, “Saoko” was not a huge hit, scraping a #22 debut on the Latin chart and falling off within three weeks. But the Valentin Petit-directed clip about a female biker gang did win an MTV Video Music Award for Best Editing, while the song finishes as Rosalía’s top entry in our rate.

Best bit: “Me contradigo, yo me transformo/Soy to'a' la' cosa', yo me transformo”

ATRL says…: “This is the song of the millennium!!!!!!!!!!!!!” @Ewan Chaos proclaimed. But not everyone got the vision. @cockatoo compared it to “something a contestant from ‘Toddlers and Tiaras’ would sing if she were to switch lanes as a singer.” @byzantium thought Motomami might be his favorite of all the albums in the rate. “Ranking each song individually is hard because even if I don’t love an individual song, the way it takes you on a journey from song to song makes me appreciate what it does for the album as a whole,” he wrote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Virgos Groove said:

@cockatoo When I catch you...

evelyn-eve.gif

Like, if you get it, you get it...and he didn't get it.

• ATRL Moderator

Another big single out next!

• ATRL Moderator

A 3 to saoko … ARREST HER 

• Like 2

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Sanguine said:

Like, Pure/Honey is above this? 

A bit weird, right?

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, cockatoo said:

Thank god we dealt with #that :clap3:

Watch out, they might be dealing with you next!

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

Watch out, they might be dealing with you next!

kii-laughing.gif

• ATRL Moderator

QeznZ3A.png

CUFF IT

Average score: 8.40

High score: 10 (@BGKC, @brokee, @Reverie, @MP2K@jacklovesyou1, @Ewan Chaos, @State of Grace.@Virgos Groove, @Norte)

Low score: 2 (@305)

Can a song be so undeniable that it not only gets released by popular demand but also becomes, by some metrics, an artist’s biggest hit ever? Such is the power of “Cuff It,” which replaced “Church Girl” as the second single from Renaissance after a viral TikTok dance challenge last fall. The all-star effort – Nile Rodgers on guitar, Raphael Saadiq on bass and drums, Sheila E. providing percussion, production work from The-Dream, among others, plus a sample of Teena Marie’s beloved “Ooh La La La” – is pure neo-disco joy about feeling so good you want to fuck up the night. Despite no promotion from Beyoncé, it peaked at #6 and spent 35 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, her longest solo chart run, ultimately winning the Grammy for Best R&B Song.

Best bit: “I wanna go higher, can I sit on top of you?”

ATRL says…: “Even though this is the most ‘basic’ and ‘accessible’ song on the album...it's just so feel-good I have to give it a 10,” @Ewan Chaos conceded. “So happy this is her biggest hit everywhere in a long time. It also starts my favorite transitions in the album with CI-‘Energy’-BMS.” @cockatoo “overplayed this, but this was the song that finally got me to check out this album so I'm grateful to her.”

Well.....that's a terrible start. SAOKO is a winner contender with Pure/Honey and Alien Superstar. :shakeno:

I've noticed that AHAP is overrated here too so I wouldn't be shocked if it makes the Top 5 atp :redface:

It's true, it's true I slept on Renny until like April this year. I'm being excommunicated from the gay community :redface:

• ATRL Moderator

"Cuff It" is the only song in the top ten with fewer than ten 10's. Whereas no song outside the top ten had more than ten 10's. This tier really did distinguish itself.

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, cockatoo said:

It's true, it's true I slept on Renny until like April this year. I'm being excommunicated from the gay community :redface:

And the taste community!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.