Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Do you have master's degree?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 55
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, i have a masters of science in Psychology. My degree is in English language / literature and I’d never studied psychology before so threw myself in the deep end. Loved every minute of it!

On 4/27/2023 at 3:47 AM, Aristotle said:

Post High School Mathematics is a pain in ass.

 

I don't think I can continue Master's.

 

Proof with Euclidean axioms and known theorems that from all quadrilateral  figures inscribed in a circle the square has the biggest perimeter. Does there exists a continuous functions that exchanges all irrational points with rational one and all rational points with irrational ones?

 

This type of ****. I thought Math was about solving integrals and limits. 

 

Nahh thank you. Probably want to continue Computer Science/Data Science. 

Irrational numbers are important in electricity and electronics. The vectors are spinning around and drawing circles.

 

I majored in electronics and got that extra math package the other engineers didn't get.

 

The fun begins when the most craziest ideas on math history that didn't have a purpose suddenly matters because of advances in electronics or computer science.

 

I liked learning about how the calculators operate, how can it calculate any sin, cos, tan,... you can throw at it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series

2 hours ago, katykater said:

Irrational numbers are important in electricity and electronics. The vectors are spinning around and drawing circles.

 

I majored in electronics and got that extra math package the other engineers didn't get.

 

The fun begins when the most craziest ideas on math history that didn't have a purpose suddenly matters because of advances in electronics or computer science.

 

I liked learning about how the calculators operate, how can it calculate any sin, cos, tan,... you can throw at it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series

Sure sin, cos are continuous functions and differentiable n-times so you can transform them into Taylor series. I was taught how to proof all convergence test  theorems. However I don't memorize a good chunk of those proofs. Some sure, but not all.

 

Numerical series, functional series, polynomial series and Fourier series.  

 

I know how to compute many random series (depending on the level of difficulty). A moderate example would be this:

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/2021790/find-the-maclaurin-series-of-ln-x-sqrtx21?rq=1

The part of (1+x^2)^(-1/2) is a bit tricky though. 

 

I prefer analysis over algebra especially abstract algebra.

 

I heard that Calculus was needed to help moon landings. In physics a big problem is being able to find the appropriate function that is needed to evaluate the theorical case. I have no use of it outside of my study fields nor do my computer scientist friends use it in their profession that much.

 

Edited by Aristotle

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.