Has Matangi aged good?

Аshanti

yep. even the dated tracks like 'double bubble trouble' have a kitsch time capsule quality to them now. she practically started the post-internet aesthetic wave on MAYA and kept it going with this album.

• ATRL Moderator

Compared to her other albums before it, no.  Compared to most 2013 albums, yes.

Compared to what she’s doing now, it’s a masterpiece. Bad Girls was a damn classic although it was already from the mixtape - the MV alone slayed lives and is up there for me with Borders as her best. 

I think it's unfairly maligned when compared go the first 3 albums, but I love it. aTENTion, Bring the Noize, title track, Come Walk with Me, (S)Exodus, Bad Girls... all great

imo it battles Kala for the title of her best, dependent on mood and what you’re looking for (with MAYA rounding out the top 3) :chick1:

16 minutes ago, madonnas said:

Compared to her other albums before it, no.  Compared to most 2013 albums, yes.

Matangi is more ambitious and, well, better than Kala, idk if you're ready for this conversation though.

Bad Girls and Only 1 U are the mainstream and experimental head ******* of her discog, respectively.

Ugh I could write an essay about this album. I love it so much. This was my first M.I.A. project and her music and sound introduced me to so many artists and concepts that I love. I think /\/\/\Y/\ is more forward thinking though. This album has some weaker songs that are a little more of their time (Yala comes to mind). 

Karmageddon, MATANGI, Bring the Noize, Only 1 U, aTENTion, and Warriors are all as strong as anything from her first 3 albums. Bad Girls is as iconic as Paper Planes at this point. Sadly, it seems like this could be her last truly great body of work. 

Yeah I'd say it aged well. I still like it about the same now as I did in 2013. So many tracks I adore but Double Bubble Trouble always comes to mind first (well or Only 1 U) with that multi-genre switch up UGH sooooooo good

The only bad songs are Exodus and Sexodus. I don’t exactly stan  “Know It Ain’t Right” but I can tolerate. I still stand by this statement I made back in 2016 (after I listened to it). 

Boom ADD deserved to be on the damn album. **** the skit. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.