Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Did the original All Too Well exist?

Featured Replies

And I mean in the form of a song. Taylor has always talked about this original ATW version that was more like a jam session and not really recorded. We also had the 10mins version on RED tv but that was more of a revisited version really. And I feel like the anticipation regarding ATW died down after ATW10MVFTV of course. 

 

The original was also supposed to have lyrics like this:

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRh2pp4mFeDr3B26rcGR64

 

 

 

In 2015, Taylor told someone in Loft 89 that her tour sound guy recorded the session, but she lost the disc it was on. :rip:

  • ATRL Moderator

I think it was probably around 10 minutes long when she first wrote it, but it was not the same thing we got last year.  It probably just had a bunch of extra verses and she had to pare it down.

 

Honestly a good thing because whatever that "original" version was must've dragged on.  She did a great job making the 10 minute version she actually released worth the longer timeframe.

  • Author
9 minutes ago, ErnieSwift said:

In 2015, Taylor told someone in Loft 89 that her tour sound guy recorded the session, but she lost the disc it was on. :rip:

Oh i didn't know about this. mess :rip:

  • Author
3 minutes ago, MissedTheTrain said:

Honestly a good thing because whatever that "original" version was must've dragged on.  She did a great job making the 10 minute version she actually released worth the longer timeframe.

But we need it because it must be really raw and emotional. :jonnycat:

Not saying it's a bad song but Tlthe new 10 mins version felt more like fanservice. I think we feel joy rather than sadness when listening to it :rip:

I mean most of those lyrics from the draft made it into the song they were just polished up. The 10 minute version actually expanded upon what we had rather than repeated every draft of the same one lyric that she wrote until she got her point across.

I think it did, but it's not exactly what she ended up releasing as the 10 minute version. It was definitely re-written and edited.

not in the way we got it. queen went back to her notebook she had some new drags for his ass.

Edited by orange22

ATW is honestly a concept she has milked and rewritten multiple times. 
 

We first learned it was originally “like 10 minutes long” in an interview she did on the Red album release day.
 

Then a few years later, we learned she walked into a rehearsal and just started jamming and singing whatever came to mind, and her band joined in and the sound engineer recorded it. This was the “10 min version”, and it was likely 10 minutes because it was just the band jamming while she poured out her feelings spontaneously. I doubt it sounded like a cohesive song. Apparently, the sound engineer gave that cd to Taylor’s mom, and Taylor brought it to Liz Rose to restructure it into a real song (the 5 min version we eventually got). 
 

Then a few years later we got the Lover diaries with those “original lyrics” and verses, which I am not sure are real. I think they were some ideas she scribbled down when working with Liz to make an actual song, since she had already said she was just venting out her feelings when she was in the jam session (the original “10 min version”) and I doubt she had cohesive poetic lyrics like the ones in her diary. 
 

Then we finally got a 10 min version on Red TV, but as you said in the OP I sincerely doubt this is at all anything like the 10 min jam session. She clearly went back and wrote a longer version of the song, and tried to make it not feel like it dragged on forever and have peaks and valleys throughout. I don’t think it’s a bad thing, I love the 10 min version we got. I just don’t think it’s authentically what she performed with the band spontaneously in rehearsal. There’s just no way she had created such a cohesive song with a complete story. I’m sure some of the ideas were reused from the jam session, but she obviously edited them and came up with new melodies etc. 

 

So tldr, no I don’t think an actual 10 min version existed back then. It was 10 min of the band riffing while she vented her emotions she was feeling in the moment out as a song. But that’s fine to me, because the mythos we had for years over this song is kind of finally laid to rest and we got debatably her best song ever out of the 10 min version on Red TV

Edited by youreyesgocold

  • Author
3 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

"There is a very raw emotion in 'All Too Well' that still hits me when I hear it. With that song, when we got together, she had it all in her brain, and it was probably 10, 12, or 15 minutes long! She had a story to get out, so we just sat down and started going through it piece by piece, and as she sang all these things, I just wrote down what I thought were the important pieces that hit."  

 

Maybe we need ATW12MVFTV and ATW15MVFTV for answers

She needs to start teasing this

 

 

ppaFuYQ.gif 

22 minutes ago, ErnieSwift said:

In 2015, Taylor told someone in Loft 89 that her tour sound guy recorded the session, but she lost the disc it was on. :rip:

I think she meant she lost the CD. The sound guy didn’t lose the CD. 

 

Quote

Swift continued: “At the end of the day, my mom came up to my sound guy and was like, ‘Is there any chance that you recorded that?’ And he was like, ‘Yup!’ and handed her a CD. The 10-minute version of ‘All Too Well’ is what was originally written for the song, before I had to cut it down to a normal-length song. Because 10 minutes is absurd, that’s an absurd length of time for a song to be. Who thinks that they can put out a 10-minute song? I mean, obviously, me.”

EDIT - sorry @ErnieSwift I actually misread your original message. You said she lost it. Anyways leaving my original post up to embarrass myself. 

Edited by youreyesgocold

42 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

ATW is honestly a concept she has milked and rewritten multiple times. 
 

We first learned it was originally “like 10 minutes long” in an interview she did on the Red album release day.
 

Then a few years later, we learned she walked into a rehearsal and just started jamming and singing whatever came to mind, and her band joined in and the sound engineer recorded it. This was the “10 min version”, and it was likely 10 minutes because it was just the band jamming while she poured out her feelings spontaneously. I doubt it sounded like a cohesive song. Apparently, the sound engineer gave that cd to Taylor’s mom, and Taylor brought it to Liz Rose to restructure it into a real song (the 5 min version we eventually got). 
 

Then a few years later we got the Lover diaries with those “original lyrics” and verses, which I am not sure are real. I think they were some ideas she scribbled down when working with Liz to make an actual song, since she had already said she was just venting out her feelings when she was in the jam session (the original “10 min version”) and I doubt she had cohesive poetic lyrics like the ones in her diary. 
 

Then we finally got a 10 min version on Red TV, but as you said in the OP I sincerely doubt this is at all anything like the 10 min jam session. She clearly went back and wrote a longer version of the song, and tried to make it not feel like it dragged on forever and have peaks and valleys throughout. I don’t think it’s a bad thing, I love the 10 min version we got. I just don’t think it’s authentically what she performed with the band spontaneously in rehearsal. There’s just no way she had created such a cohesive song with a complete story. I’m sure some of the ideas were reused from the jam session, but she obviously edited them and came up with new melodies etc. 

 

So tldr, no I don’t think an actual 10 min version existed back then. It was 10 min of the band riffing while she vented her emotions she was feeling in the moment out as a song. But that’s fine to me, because the mythos we had for years over this song is kind of finally laid to rest and we got debatably her best song ever out of the 10 min version on Red TV

all of this

 

the Red TV version is a completely new take to expand the OG Red version into a cohesive song that was the promised 10 minutes long 

  • ATRL Moderator

I don't understand OP :gaycat6: But the full history of the song is in the thread now, so hopefully it answers the question in the title. 

 

Anyway, and I was thinking on the drive down, anytime now, he's gonna say it's love. You never called it what it was.

 

tumblr_mkhx57h8px1rnytu7o1_500.gif

Yeah she was definitely singing **** the patriarchy in 2011

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.