Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

The J-Pop Discussion Thread

Featured Replies

1 minute ago, Britneyfan09 said:

45. BOY FRIEND? from grow into one (2003)

 

Don't pmo AGAIN

 

zC9SXQN.gif

  • Replies 2.9k
  • Views 85.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • A big hank you to everyone who participated and joined the reveals! The second part of the rate was always going to be an uphill battle, and I wonder if something else could've been done to encourage

  • BEST OF 2025 (mini-rate) It's 2025. I believe we haven't done the best of j-pop since... 2015, so it's been a decade. In some way, it's symbolic, as the 'diva' era ended around that time, too. While

  • The Kumi Koda Singles Rate, Pt. 2 ~Budget Edition~   After rating what many consider to be Kumiko's better part of her career, we're entering the 10s, which started off well but some c

How tf is BOY FRIEND? out already??? Easily a top 5 song??????

 

@AMIT @Kyle-x 

respect-i-respect-you.gif

  • Author
4 minutes ago, Britneyfan09 said:

HIGH SCORE: 10 x 3 (Kyle-x, AMIT, Curaga)

This trinity of taste!

 

zC9SXQN.gif

 

I was trying to not give Kuu all 10s but she deserved it for this one lbr....

2 minutes ago, Curaga said:

How tf is BOY FRIEND? out already??? Easily a top 5 song??????

 

@AMIT @Kyle-x 

respect-i-respect-you.gif

Atrl celebria GIF - Find on GIFER

  • Author

44. Free from Queen of Hip-Pop (2005)

 

Queenofhippop.jpg

 

AVERAGE: 7.55

HIGH SCORE: 10 x 2 (Kyle-x, madonnas)

LOW SCORE: 3 x 1 (romiskes)

 

Graves: Nao'ymt is perhaps Namie's best partner when it comes to production and this sort of vaguely-threatening dark R&B bop is a great example of why. He never gave her a bad beat!

Kyle-x: That production BANGS.

AMIT: another raunchy bop from miss namie from the block

madonnas: this is the kind of hook that stays in your brain days after hearing it. 

Curaga: Catch me shaking my ass to this one—that BEAT! Coulda been a 10, but she sounds bored af lol. I needed her to put her whole Namiussy into it.

2 minutes ago, Britneyfan09 said:

madonnas: this is the kind of hook that stays in your brain days after hearing it. 

 

Exactlyyy. Some of these songs I struggle to remember just from the title, but I can hear this one in my head in full rn :WAP:

  • Author

Next reveal is a double elimination for one of the girls

 

5je.gif

  • Author

43. Real me from RAINBOW (2002)

 

Rainbow_(Ayumi_Hamasaki_album_-_cover_ar

 

AVERAGE: 7.62

HIGH SCORE: 10 x 2 (Kyle-x, confide in me)

LOW SCORE: 2 x 1 (Maresia)

 

Graves: Still loved, a different take on that early-'00s R&B compared to what Hikki and Namie were doing, it's still distinctly Ayu and I'd have it no other way. Fun and nonsense, as it should be.

Kyle-x: Let me get my habit on.

AMIT: a bop for the gays, thank you mother

 

42. Movin' on without you from Utada Hikaru no Uta -13 kumi no Ongakuka ni Yoru 13 no Kaishaku ni Tsuite- (2014)

 

4988005861962.jpg?utada-hikaru-no-uta-va

 

AVERAGE: 7.67

HIGH SCORE: 10 x 3 (UrMom, Maresia, SAKURA)

LOW SCORE: 0 x 1 (Curaga)

 

Graves: Love the Ayu x Hikki love of course, but this sort of early 2010s EDM-pop sound is always a little unpleasant to these ears. Rather listen to the dated original.

Kyle-x: She ate down. I'll take 2 points off so it hopefully doesn't rank too high among the ayu songs... I have a feeling some of the wenches who hate on ayu's catalog with rank it high for the Utada of it all and degrade the rest of her songs.

AMIT: appreciate the upgraded arrangement for it and she sounds nice, the original is still hitting as well though

madonnas: laughing at this.

Curaga: The way she wiped the floor with Utada here... I can't let ha get away with this :khalyan2:

Wait, is 'No' still in? :deadbanana:

 

Free is a dirrty banger though so we stan :gaycatina1:

  • Author
Just now, AMIT said:

Wait, is 'No' still in? :deadbanana:

 

Free is a dirrty banger though so we stan :gaycatina1:

Yes, 'No' is still in :gaycat1:

Just now, Britneyfan09 said:

Yes, 'No' is still in :gaycat1:

It's a cute bop, but I'm surprised it outlasted Free. :santa:

  • Author
2 minutes ago, Britneyfan09 said:

 

Curaga: The way she wiped the floor with Utada here... I can't let ha get away with this :khalyan2:

:ahh:

Love a certain singer but we need to see a song or two from them soon it's getting weird. 

 

zC9SXQN.gif

  • Author

Next one is the last one for the night! A diva makes her first and only appearance......

  • Author

41. 嫉妬されるべき人生 from 初恋 (2018)

 

UH_HATSUKOI_S-copy.jpg

 

AVERAGE: 7.75

HIGH SCORE: 10 x 2 (AMIT, Curaga)

LOW SCORE: 4 x 1 (Kyle-x)

 

Graves: I do not go back to this album like at all, but representation matters and this is the only album track on the whole project worth remembering. Maybe because it sounds a bit like a Fantome cast-off, but still.

AMIT: the best song on hatsukoi and a discography highlight

Curaga: Gave this my 11 right off the bat because it's such a fuckiing masterpiece (and maybe I wanted to be a little creative), but I have to follow my heart and give it to another track—I'M SORRY

  • Author
2 minutes ago, AMIT said:

Love a certain singer but we need to see a song or two from them soon it's getting weird. 

 

zC9SXQN.gif

Well you got your wish, although I'm not sure you would've selected this song to go.

 

zC9SXQN.gif

  • Author

Thanks girls for tuning in tonight! :heart:

 

I'll post a recap and when I'll be posting the next set of results soon! Down to the Top 40 now.

 

zC9SXQN.gif

4 minutes ago, Britneyfan09 said:

Well you got your wish, although I'm not sure you would've selected this song to go.

 

zC9SXQN.gif

umm definitely not, but that's what I get for running my mouth 

 

zC9SXQN.gif

Oop, I guess Movin' on without you wasn't the threat I thought it was 

:santa:

Amazing cover :clap3:

2 hours ago, Britneyfan09 said:

 

50. The Show Must Go On from A One (2015)

 

20150316%20Random%20J%20pop%20%5BInfo%5D

 

AVERAGE: 7.46

HIGH SCORE: 10 x 2 (Kyle-x, Curaga)

LOW SCORE: 5 x 1 (getinthezone)

 

Graves: Perseverance is a pretty key theme for late-career Ayu, I want to say at least since Guilty? Or Rock'n'Roll Circus? Either way, I always like hearing that motif in her songs. Even if this is nothing groundbreaking for her, it's a decent tune and I can appreciate it thematically. The breakdown during the bridge is really trying to make it all work. And while I still find it a tad dated, it is charming even so.

Kyle-x: Ugh. A ONE is such a damn good album. This song goes tf off.

AMIT: an expansive bop, not exactly outside her wheelhouse, but I appreciate it for what it is 

madonnas: does it really have to?

Curaga: Wooooow, ok, Miss Kyle-X! This was an inspired choice. This has become one of my fav Ayu songs and got me into A ONE.

Let me just say that I was a bit shocked to see this one here as I've seen a non-insignificant number of people claiming it's her worst song EVER. As for me, well, TK produced much worse for her, including A song is unborn and that one song written by his totally not nepo sister that stinks up Love songs. Who wants to listen to an ayuma song not penned by her unless it's a cover?

 

SMZ2cT0.gif

Both Whisper and HimaWArI are TK-produced so while they're fine by his standards, I won't cry over them. Should I Love Him? and partially BOY FRIEND? flopping isn't shocking, another win for the hook-up culture, I guess.

 

 SMZ2cT0.gif

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.