Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

The J-Pop Discussion Thread

Featured Replies

Queen Ku returns with a -classy- ballad. Gorgeous cinematography in the PV.

 

 

 

  • Replies 2.9k
  • Views 85.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • A big hank you to everyone who participated and joined the reveals! The second part of the rate was always going to be an uphill battle, and I wonder if something else could've been done to encourage

  • BEST OF 2025 (mini-rate) It's 2025. I believe we haven't done the best of j-pop since... 2015, so it's been a decade. In some way, it's symbolic, as the 'diva' era ended around that time, too. While

  • The Kumi Koda Singles Rate, Pt. 2 ~Budget Edition~   After rating what many consider to be Kumiko's better part of her career, we're entering the 10s, which started off well but some c

Kumi almost always brings it with the ballads. It's everything else that's fallen off :rip: I don't think I've truly loved a full project by hers since Japonesque

9 minutes ago, Bad Decisions said:

Kumi almost always brings it with the ballads. It's everything else that's fallen off :rip: I don't think I've truly loved a full project by hers since Japonesque

Japonesque :heart: An ALBUM!

 

Secretly,  I have a soft spot for the Zumba music of Bon Voyage and all the Soundcloud noise from Walk of My Life  onward. 

42 minutes ago, UrMom said:

Queen Ku returns with a -classy- ballad. Gorgeous cinematography in the PV.

 

 

 

gotta give it to her, shes the only one left releasing music from her generation other than utada

Just now, getinthezone said:

gotta give it to her, shes the only one left releasing music from her generation other than utada

Amen! Love Ku's commitment.

 

Ayu tours endlessly and  barely releases and Namie's probably off riding a unicorn by a castle somewhere. 

 

Also, where tf are the new j-divas? I like singer-songwriters and idols and ani singers, but where are the QUEENS?

1 hour ago, UrMom said:

Amen! Love Ku's commitment.

 

Ayu tours endlessly and  barely releases and Namie's probably off riding a unicorn by a castle somewhere. 

 

Also, where tf are the new j-divas? I like singer-songwriters and idols and ani singers, but where are the QUEENS?

Hitomi Kaji could've been the one but avex blew it and is now chasing the kpop audience

 

 

Kalen Anzai had her cute moments too but I have a feeling that those two albums she dropped last year were her last projects.

27 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Hitomi Kaji could've been the one but avex blew it and is now chasing the kpop audience

 

 

Kalen Anzai had her cute moments too but I have a feeling that those two albums she dropped last year were her last projects.

Hitomi Kaji :heart: She had such star quality. 

 

Kalen's albums were cute. 

 

If XG never happened,  I think Juria and Chisa would've made great soloists. 

 

Also,  non-avex, but Airi Suzuki had so much potential too :heart2:

 

 

17 minutes ago, UrMom said:

Hitomi Kaji :heart: She had such star quality. 

 

Kalen's albums were cute. 

 

If XG never happened,  I think Juria and Chisa would've made great soloists. 

 

Also,  non-avex, but Airi Suzuki had so much potential too :heart2:

 

 

Oh, this icon. I think I need to catch up with her recent stuff.

 

Anyway, no matter what the owner of Arama/Nante says on a daily basis about Japan moving on from "diva" artists, they have been a thing since like the 70s, and this period of j-pop feels anomalous in hindsight. I think there's a room for a queen-like artist these days, the labels just need to learn how to market her properly and maybe immediately to the gay audience, which is growing there.

omg there's nothing like finally finding high-res album art when your normal sources failed you :jonnycat:

I'm slowly making my way through Koda Kumi's albums; from affection to JAPONESQUE, I only have affection, ETERNITY, and Dejavu left!

 

mbid-8328475d-e914-47fa-87d5-545045f502c

22 hours ago, UrMom said:

Japonesque :heart: An ALBUM!

 

Secretly,  I have a soft spot for the Zumba music of Bon Voyage and all the Soundcloud noise from Walk of My Life  onward. 

omg i love bon voyage too :rip:

1 hour ago, fauxtography said:

one of the best pop songs ever created  :jonny5:

 

 

 

100%. This and "Taboo" were 12/10 songs.  Trick  in general was excellent. Her imperial era was so fun. 

I didn't realize that streaming has a superior version of Miliyah's LOVELAND

 

Qyc8a6V.png

 

10 hours ago, getinthezone said:

 

 

Shakira wishes 

Latina queen!

 

 

10 hours ago, Suilen said:

I didn't realize that streaming has a superior version of Miliyah's LOVELAND

 

Qyc8a6V.png

 

Just discovered this queen's discography this year and wow! What an incredible choice, what an incredible songwriter.

Nishino's good songs are being posted so I'll keep it cute

 

what2.gif

22 minutes ago, UrMom said:

Just discovered this queen's discography this year and wow! What an incredible choice, what an incredible songwriter.

Good for you, her discography is pretty great!

17 hours ago, Curaga said:

omg there's nothing like finally finding high-res album art when your normal sources failed you :jonnycat:

I'm slowly making my way through Koda Kumi's albums; from affection to JAPONESQUE, I only have affection, ETERNITY, and Dejavu left!

 

mbid-8328475d-e914-47fa-87d5-545045f502c

this is so nice! I LOVE finding cover art in high quality and it can be quite tricky with older J-pop releases (I'm still finding hitomi's LOVE LIFE til this day)

btw her recent albums are very good too, heart-WINGS-and the upcomning UNICORN sound very promising :heart:

4 minutes ago, D.D.D. said:

this is so nice! I LOVE finding cover art in high quality and it can be quite tricky with older J-pop releases (I'm still finding hitomi's LOVE LIFE til this day)

btw her recent albums are very good too, heart-WINGS-and the upcomning UNICORN sound very promising :heart:

omg yes, I loved WINGS and I'm so excited for Unicorn! 

Silence is a beautiful song :spring:

I did make it my business to listen to Trick today, my first Kuu album. :heart:

 

It wasn't quite the Past<Future serve I was maybe hoping for, but 'twas cute yes. Taboo remains the all-timer. The Fergie collab??? Was she big in Japan?

 

t6Dkgsw.gif

3 hours ago, Subomie said:

I did make it my business to listen to Trick today, my first Kuu album. :heart:

 

It wasn't quite the Past<Future serve I was maybe hoping for, but 'twas cute yes. Taboo remains the all-timer. The Fergie collab??? Was she big in Japan?

 

t6Dkgsw.gif

The legend has it that Kumi was a big Fergie fan and had one of her songs as her ringtone. She kept saying how much she'd like to collaborate with her and one day got a message from Fergie with a song attached: "I made this one for Kumi-chan". Dreams come true when you're one of the biggest Japanese artists I guess.

 

t6Dkgsw.gif

5 minutes ago, Suilen said:

The legend has it that Kumi was a big Fergie fan and had one of her songs as her ringtone. She kept saying how much she'd like to collaborate with her and one day got a message from Fergie with a song attached: "I made this one for Kumi-chan". Dreams come true when you're one of the biggest Japanese artists I guess.

 

t6Dkgsw.gif

Very kind of Fergie to fish out an old Dutchess era demo for her like that. Maximizing their joint slay etc.

 

t6Dkgsw.gif

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.