Whitney vs Mariah

GlamSlam

"The Voice" vs "Songbird Supreme".  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better vocalist?

8 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

I can sing My all without any problems so I am certain Whitney would have done it in her sleep. 

https://voca.ro/1gDjFBlAhfu9

It is also VERY obvious to hear that the studio version is very comped and probably recorded line by line. 

Not to mention Mariah had a literal army of background singers who did half the song for her when she performed it live. 

I am ******* screaming at that vocaroo. There’s no way you weren’t at least giggling while typing that you sang that with no problems 

• Haha 8

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Virtual_Insanity

• suburbannature

• Chris

• GoodGuyGoneGhetto

6 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Suddenly you admit it’s difficult, I see. And yet the SNL version exceeds the original, but you’d prefer to post an isolated performance on Rosie’s show. Her background singers never “sang the song for her” cackling at that lie - they sang the parts they always did but her falsetto wasn’t happening that day for whatever reason.

Well I just performed the studio version without any backing. Pretty straightforward song, the only issue is breath control to replicate the obviously comped lines. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Virtual_Insanity said:

Well I just performed the studio version without any backing. Pretty straightforward song, the only issue is breath control to replicate the obviously comped lines. 

:ahh:

:ahh: :ahh: :ahh: 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

I can sing My all without any problems so I am certain Whitney would have done it in her sleep. 

https://voca.ro/1gDjFBlAhfu9

It is also VERY obvious to hear that the studio version is very comped and probably recorded line by line. 

Not to mention Mariah had a literal army of background singers who did half the song for her when she performed it live. 

Damn you did better than I anticipated some of those notes you hit :clap3:

Release your Unplugged EP 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

I am ******* screaming at that vocaroo. There’s no way you weren’t at least giggling while typing that you sang that with no problems 

I am recovering from a cold so my transitions were a little suspect in one or two parts and I have some grit in my upper register but it is a solid 8/10.  Especially considering it is a one take vocal with no enhancements. 

• Like 1

Both amazing but Whitney had that once in a lifetime voice

No one could pull off "I Wanna Dance" or "I Will Always Love You" the way she did that made those so ubiquitous 

I am recovering from a cold so my transitions were a little suspect in one or two parts and I have some grit in my upper register but it is a solid 8/10.  Especially considering it is a one take vocal with no enhancements. 

Baby, you were flat for an entire song and sounded like you were being choked by Rogue's thighs.

• Haha 1

Just now, naval23 said:

Damn you did better than I anticipated some of those notes you hit :clap3:

Release your Unplugged EP 

When I first heard Mariah, I made up my mind, I  just knew I had to be a singer. 

• Haha 4

Just now, suburbannature said:

Baby, you were flat for an entire song and sounded like you were being choked by Rogue's thighs.

I'm ok with that.

Also im not flat, Im male so I did it in a slightly different key to Mariah obviously while using her for the music. It was blended pretty well considering the basic set up. 

Can you show us how it should be done if you feel you can out do me  ? 

1 minute ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

I'm ok with that.

Also im not flat, Im male so I did it in a slightly different key to Mariah obviously while using her for the music. It was blended pretty well considering the basic set up. 

Can you show us how it should be done if you feel you can out do me  ? 

I'm an actual singer so yes... :deadbanana:

You were in a different key but it was still flat.

Ms. Carey will always be the better artist, and I revere her, but in terms of vocal musicianship, showmanship and performance ability…

Whitney Elizabeth Houston.

Period. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Well, now is your opportunity to show us or post a link to some of your recordings King.

:celestial2:

11 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

You know what…

I actually liked your recording. 

Keep practicing and getting better.

:clap3:

That said, “My All” is a technically difficult song to sing, even stylistically also, and that cannot be downplayed. Come on now sis…

:rip:

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Just now, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Ms. Carey will always be the better artist, and I revere her, but in terms of vocal musicianship, showmanship and performance ability…

Whitney Elizabeth Houston.

Period. 

That I agree with - Whitney had better stage presence and showmanship. 

But in terms of pure vocals delivered in their prime on records or on stage (which I think is what OP is asking)? Mariah. More complex, better musical awareness and musicianship, better agility and technical awareness. Mariah's constant changing of the songs, blending, dynamics, and on the spot adjusting were unmatched. Whitney was amazing at it too, but it often consisted of just changing the tempo and she wasn't the virtuoso at matching her melisma and tone to the melody or the music like Mariah was.

1 minute ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Well, now is your opportunity to show us or post a link to some of your recordings. 

You know what…

Keep practicing and getting better.

That said, “My All” is a technically difficult song to sing, even stylistically also, and that cannot be downplayed. Come on now sis…

Lemme DM Virtual and show him how it's done

:suburban:

7 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

You were in a different key but it was still flat.

Prove it then. Just give us the first verse and chorus. Or will this remain yet another unsubstantiated claim on your part ? 

Prove it then. Just give us the first verse and chorus. Or will this remain yet another unsubstantiated claim on your part ? 

Please, I've sung on Discord for half of atrl

4 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Well, now is your opportunity to show us or post a link to some of your recordings. 

You know what…

You clearly have a natural singing talent even the technique isn’t complete. 

That said, “My All” is a technically difficult song to sing, even stylistically also, and that cannot be downplayed. 

Thank you. I think it is just dumb to claim that Whitney couldnt sing My all. She could have sung it, in her own style. 

• Haha 1

Thank you. I think it is just dumb to claim that Whitney couldnt sing My all. She could have sung it, in her own style. 

By heavily toning down the melisma, removing some of the phrased upper belts, and eliminating many of the transitions - kind of like you had to do.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

Please, I've sung on Discord for half of atrl

Baby stop deflecting. 

It is one minute. 

I can understand you are reluctant to follow me but It's time to put up. Or be like Black eyed peas. 

Just now, suburbannature said:

By heavily toning down the melisma, removing some of the phrased upper belts, and eliminating many of the transitions - kind of like you had to do.

And Mariah would have had to completely re do IWALY to be able to get through it. Your point ? 

If Whitney went into the studio and recorded My all line by line and worked on replicating Mariah's version TRUST she could do it. But that is not how Whitney rolled in studio. 

She sung from her soul and her heart. 

And Mariah would have had to completely re do IWALY to be able to get through it. Your point ? 

If Whitney went into the studio and recorded My all line by line and worked on replicating Mariah's version TRUST she could do it. But that is not how Whitney rolled in studio. 

She sung from her soul and her heart. 

No, she wouldn't. The style of Without You was like a more complex IWALY and Mariah absolutely ate that up. Mariah could easily sing Whitney songs, but Whitney couldn't sing Mariah songs. That's like..common knowledge.

And you can hear the cuts in My All - you are lying about it being anything close to line by line pls

4 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

No, she wouldn't. The style of Without You was like a more complex IWALY and Mariah absolutely ate that up. Mariah could easily sing Whitney songs, but Whitney couldn't sing Mariah songs. That's like..common knowledge.

And you can hear the cuts in My All - you are lying about it being anything close to line by line pls

No it isn't. Just super delusion on your part. 

OT - Whitney taking this by a landslide. 

3 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

No it isn't. Just super delusion on your part. 

OT - Whitney taking this by a landslide. 

Mariah's songs are FAR more difficult - that's not even debatable. Mariah even gave one of her best performances of Without You in the Rainbow era - her weakest vocal era of the first 15 years. That style of singing is very easy for her - yes, she easily sang those type of songs. Hero is another example. She had to make it more complicated live after getting bored singing it :deadbanana4:

Yeah, and look at the votes for Whitney. Madonna fans, JLo fans, and Mariah antis. Literally almost every vote. :deadbanana4:

Edited by suburbannature

Oh I knew exactly who I would see in this thread.

I went with Whitney ofc for both technical and personal reasons as both are very much needed in making a choice like this. I just feel like Whitney touched me a lot more vocally than Mariah and that in her prime, she did what she did better than anyone before or after her.

I will like to point out tho that they are two rather vastly different singers. Mariah was always heavy on melisma and runs and upper belts and her vocal categorization is a lyrical soprano I believe that has the gift of the whistle register. Whitney was raised in, sang in and was taught by the church and that was the base of her voice no matter the register, era or quality of her voice. Added onto that, she was a mezzo-soprano with a chest dominate, open throat vocal style. they cant really be compared on terms of pure technicality imo. 

2 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

That I agree with - Whitney had better stage presence and showmanship. 

But in terms of pure vocals delivered in their prime on records or on stage (which I think is what OP is asking)? Mariah. More complex, better musical awareness and musicianship, better agility and technical awareness. Mariah's constant changing of the songs, blending, dynamics, and on the spot adjusting were unmatched. Whitney was amazing at it too, but it often consisted of just changing the tempo and she wasn't the virtuoso at matching her melisma and tone to the melody or the music like Mariah was.

Whitney Houston’s technique was absolutely supreme also and I think it’s extremely unfair and incorrect for you to say that Carey alone had better musical awareness. 

Houston’s voice was even throughout all of her vocal registers however, given her fach and type of voice, of course she displayed more virtuosity in her middle voice.

- Her voice was larger in both size and weight to Carey’s so of course Houston’s voice wasn’t going to be as naturally agile; nevertheless, where Carey was able to execute more complex coloratura, Houston’s melisma was just as potent, if not more soulful, given her Gospel background and being raised within that format of singing. 

Houston was a Spinto-Soprano in her prime whose voice darkened into that of a Middleweight Mezzo-Soprano in her later years. Carey was a Light-Lyric Soprano with a Whistle Register extension. It’s apples and oranges and is like comparing Maria Callas to Joan Sutherland. 

- Houston’s head voice was a phenomenon of its own and, to this day, her ability to use it remains one of the most masterful in contemporary music. 

Houston’s concept of vocal dynamics were also brilliant given the fact that she could sing just as easy and sound just as clear and even when singing in Piano and do just the same when singing in Forte.

How can you listen to this performance, especially the last two minutes and tell me that Houston was just good at “changing the tempo”? 

This performance too. 

The woman was simply a titan on stage and her sheer vocal confidence was a sight to behold alongside her great technique and instinctive ability to bring a song to life.

She was a vocal chameleon who never sang a song the same way twice and her improvisational skills were great. That is LITERALLY the definition of somebody having great musical awareness and musicianship, contrary to your comment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.