Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Is this Kelly bop underrated?

Featured Replies

That whole album is underrated. She was absolutely mismanaged during this album campaign. "Motivation" was stellar, but she also had other potential hit singles on that album. Her label should have definitely allowed her to capitalize on the success of "When Love Takes Over." The international version of the album should have been made available stateside, with "Forever and a Day" getting a strong push.

 

Don't even get me started on Kelly; she deserved better all the way around.

1 hour ago, DamianSolo said:

That whole album is underrated. She was absolutely mismanaged during this album campaign. "Motivation" was stellar, but she also had other potential hit singles on that album. Her label should have definitely allowed her to capitalize on the success of "When Love Takes Over." The international version of the album should have been made available stateside, with "Forever and a Day" getting a strong push.

 

Don't even get me started on Kelly; she deserved better all the way around.

There's so much to say about this era. The album was full of singles.

 

I remember how Commander (Urban Remix) was going to be the US version of the single when Commander was smashing WW...then Rose Colored Glasses and Grown Woman were pushed as the US pop and urban singles...but it seems the plug was pulled as they started to chart on radio...

 

Forever and a Day somehow flopped everywhere, despite being one of Kelly's best. Each Other was never released as a single. 

 

Motivation ended up being a runaway hit in the US, but it was never pushed as a single WW, which ended up being a mistake as it's since outsold Down For Whatever in the UK, which was a top 10 hit here, despite Motivation not hitting the top 100 (UK).

 

Then the Lay it On Me video came months after the single was released to radio and the momentum was lost it seemed. It also failed to make much impact WW, despite sounding like the best US/WW crossover single.

 

So many false starts. It's really sad because it seemed like the album would be her next level ascension, instead it was the last time she got any international push. 

 

Oh and the US deluxe cover is so beautiful. I don't like the international album cover. It's just a less-cropped version of the US cover, but with the purple colouring it's not as soft and sensual. There were so many stunning pictures they could have used instead for the UK cover:

Kelly Rowland - Here I Am - KKBOX

Here I Am (Kelly Rowland album) - WikipediaHere I Am (Kelly Rowland album) - WikipediaHere I Am (Kelly Rowland album) - Wikipedia

Here I Am (Int'l Version) - Album by Kelly Rowland | Spotify

Music Business: The Mistakes and Decline of Potential – Kelly Rowland's  Ongoing “Here I Am” Tragedy | 2020k

Album Review: Kelly Rowland – Here I Am | 2020k

Smartologie: Kelly Rowland: 'Here I Am' Album Photo ShootSmartologie: Kelly Rowland: 'Here I Am' Album Photo Shoot

kelly-rowland-990-e1321964822862-1024x72

Edited by LesFleur

@LesFleur, you're so very right about that all. That album is just solid from start to finish. I think "Work It Man" would have been a huge single, too. That definitely would have become an anthem based on the reactions it'd get every time I'd play it around someone; it would have smashed, especially with a remix featuring a more prominent rapper.

 

I always did love the purple album cover, honestly. The purple suits the album, in my opinion. That's probably my favorite photo shoot from her for an album, though. She's always gorgeous, but her beauty was on another level here.

Ooh yes, I love this one! A summer bop :katie2:

 

The Here I Am era deserved so much more. Kelly gave us pop smashes and R&B jams from front to back :jamming:

7 hours ago, DamianSolo said:

@LesFleur, you're so very right about that all. That album is just solid from start to finish. I think "Work It Man" would have been a huge single, too. That definitely would have become an anthem based on the reactions it'd get every time I'd play it around someone; it would have smashed, especially with a remix featuring a more prominent rapper.

 

I always did love the purple album cover, honestly. The purple suits the album, in my opinion. That's probably my favorite photo shoot from her for an album, though. She's always gorgeous, but her beauty was on another level here.

Oh yes Work it Man :jonny5:

 

I was pleasantly surprised when my favourite Keep it Between Us got a video :jonny5: I used to play that song OUT :jonny2:

 

Let's not forget all the amazing unreleased tracks from that era that could have been singles.

 

 

My favourite Kelly album !

 

Love it from beginning to end!

7 hours ago, LesFleur said:

Oh yes Work it Man :jonny5:

'

I was pleasantly surprised when my favourite Keep it Between Us got a video :jonny5: I used to play that song OUT :jonny2:

 

Let's not forget all the amazing unreleased tracks from that era that could have been singles.

 

 

"Keep It Between Us" is a really great song; always did love! With these songs and more and with her being successful on an international scale with "When Love Takes Over," her label really failed her. Here I Am should have been her biggest album campaign. Just thinking of what could have been for her...

Kelly Rowland post-Simply Deep is extremely under-rated. I am gutted both Universal Motown and Republic did nothing for her.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.