JDC's Class of 2017.

JDC

2i1jvw6.jpg

b4g5tc.jpg

WELCOME EVERYONE!

I'm JD and I'm from Colombia, I think 2017 was a great year for music, at least I enjoyed a lot of releases and got caught up by some new acts that are definitly worth the time. I'll be sharing "Watch Them Rise", a list of 12 acts that deserve your attention through 2018, also a playlist with my favorite songs (singles and album tracks) and my top 20 albums. 

I hope you all have fun here and don't forget to share your opinions.

giphy.gif

Spoiler

I made a selection of my 12 artists to watch on 2018, you better check them and follow their steps, get ready to #WatchThemRise

Bea Miller

Phoebe Ryan

Tove Styrke

Kali Uchis

Vera Blue

Tinashe

Billie Eilish

Sigrid

BØRNS

Bebe Rexha

Kimbra

Maggie Rogers

giphy.gif

Spoiler

The Honorable Mentions from #ClassOf2017 are a delicious mix of sounds that may not be on my top 20, but that deserve attention and gave me a lot of good times through the year, check this 10 stellar albums.

Younger Now - Miley Cyrus

Lover - George Maple

Meaning of Life - Kelly Clarkson

Glasshouse - Jessie Ware

Bálsamo - Caloncho

The Thrill of It All - Sam Smith 

Fifty Shades Darker (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists

About Time - Sabrina Claudio

The Hype - Hoodie Allen

Freudian - Daniel Caesar 

giphy.gif

#20 "Life's a movie, let the camera roll"

#19 "Do you, do you, do you, do you wanna be...."

#18 "My love, my love, my love, my drug, oh"

#17 "And I gotta get to rock bottom, Oof!"

#16 "Before it slips away"

#15 "I'm fully charged, nipples are hard, ready to go"

#14 "Payback is a bad B"

#13 "You steal the air out of my lungs, you make me feel it"

#12 "Come on watch my heart turn to pulp"

#11 "I hope you find your peace, falling on your knees"

#10 "Kristen, come right back"

#9 "Welcome to the final show, hope you're wearing your best clothes"

#8 "Focus on communicating"

#7 "And here I go, here I go"

#6 "No one's tryna settle down, all you gotta do is let me know"

#5 "Talkin' in my sleep at night, makin' myself crazy"

#4 "Love, love, love, love, 'long as we got"

#3 "Baby gon' love me now, now, now, now, now, now"

#2 "Why? Oh, 'cause she's dead"

#1 "Cleaning up the champagne glasses"

Edited by JDC

giphy.gif

I made a selection of my 12 artists to watch on 2018, you better check them and follow their steps, get ready to #WatchThemRise

Bea Miller

Phoebe Ryan

Tove Styrke

Kali Uchis

Vera Blue

Tinashe

Billie Eilish

Sigrid

BØRNS

Bebe Rexha

Kimbra

Maggie Rogers

giphy.gif

The Honorable Mentions from #ClassOf2017 are a delicious mix of sounds that may not be on my top 20, but that deserve attention and gave me a lot of good times through the year, check this 10 stellar albums.

Younger Now - Miley Cyrus

Lover - George Maple

Meaning of Life - Kelly Clarkson

Glasshouse - Jessie Ware

Bálsamo - Caloncho

The Thrill of It All - Sam Smith 

Fifty Shades Darker (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists

About Time - Sabrina Claudio

The Hype - Hoodie Allen

Freudian - Daniel Caesar 

giphy.gif

They are here! Check my favorite 20 albums of 2017, #ClassOf2017 here we go!

Poor Jessie only getting Bubbling Under

Na54Bn6.gif

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Enchanté (Carine) [feat. Axl Jack] - Tension - Love Is Blind

Even when she had to face the horrible (and iconic ATRL 2017 moment) leak, Fergie managed to release an amazing album, it may not be The Dutchess but it still has that Ferg spark on it. It's a collection of addictive songs like Like It Ain't Nuttin', You Already Know and Tension; Fergie switches between amazing vocals and spitting bars about her money, impact and image. She gained this spot on my list with Enchanté, I swear that song makes me move everything from my feet to my eyelashes, that drop is flawless and her singing is so catchy on this one. Fergie took the risk of the Visual Album move, and even tho it wasn't executed at perfection (the songs versions are different, YAK is missing, some of the videos are messy) she did a great job, and she did an unexpected move, so congrats to Fergie Ferg and thanks for this amazing album, Kleopatra deserved a spot on the standard version tho.

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Keep On - Do U Dirty - Get Like

Since the first moment I heard Distraction I knew I was gonna love this girl, since the album release I liked every single track on it, even when I thought the album was too long I learned to appreciate it and I've been blasting out most of the tracks on it; the thing that I like the most is how her voice fits perfectly every song included here, she has a beautiful tone and also a cool flow for the R&Bish songs. I can't forget to mention the ad libs here, OMG I'm so in love with how they placed it and how she delivered nothing but greatness on them. There was a trend on 2017 albums with the "interludes" or speak outros/intros on songs, I think this was my least favorite album to use them but they're not bad or annoying. 

Maggie Rogers, Sigrid, and Billie Eilish all debuted last year and have the most potential of those listed. BØRNS has been around for awhile, I don't see him becoming significantly more successful this year, but we'll see.

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Whatever You Want - What About Us - Where We Go

What About Us became one of my favorite songs since the first play, the production, the lyrics, her vocal delivery, I went crazy imagining the direction of the album; when the album arrived I wasn't dissapointed, I was SHOOKET! This acoustic, stripped version of P!nk is amazing, the way her vocals and the lyrics shine is sooo cool, and this was a nice turn on her career/sound (can't wait to see her doing flips and stuff performing Barbies). Jack Antonoff's work on the title track left me with my mouth open, it's one of my favorite tracks he had ever produced. Where We Go is my ultimate favorite track on the album, there's something magical about that guitar and her vocals.

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Rose-Colored Boy - Forgiveness - Caught In The Middle

Paramore took me to another dimention with After Laughter, I thought their self titled album was the most pop they were ever gonna try but BAM! This album is so catchy and happy, well, at least the production, and that's a nice element: the way the production and the lyrics are so opposite, it's like wearing sunglasses and a skirt on a rainy day, like eating an ice cream under that same rain and live in a grey world but watching it in a colorful perspective. Caugh In The Middle is my ultimate favorite Paramore song, there's something about that one that haunts me, but the overall album is really so special, likeable and relatable, I even started to appreciate No Friend after my secon listening. I'm not sure if they got massive success with this album and the perfectly chosen singles but I hope they did, if Ain't It Fun and Still Into You slayed the GP, Hard Times, Told You So and Fake Happy will kill them all.

Edited by JDC

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Say Something Loving - Seasons Run - I Dare You

The xx's I See You is a delicious mix of guitars and electronic elements where the band elevates their already succesful work to deliver flawless songs such a Say Something Loving, A Violent Noise, Replica, I Dare You and Naive... The whole album, to be honest, is a delicate yet strong body of work that flows nicer than river water, their voices are heavenly as always and the lyrics are perfectly made to deliver the messages and get on your brain. I See You take the place of my favorite The xx album for all the good reasons and gets a spot on this list as a thank you for being with me on the goods and the bads of 2017.

Pararmore's After Laughter is really growing on me recently .. i think the album gets better the more you listen..

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Stranger - Struggle - Bad Days

The second phase of the Lady Wood era arrived to snatch some wigs, if the first phase was a masterpiece Blue Lips deserves to take Mona Lisa's place on the Louvre and be socialiced with everyone. Tove Lo has an amazing sense of melodies and pop music in general, she creates infectious melodies that will melt your pop heart to the ground, and the way she puts jaw dropping lyrics on her songs is unique and completly appreciated (YOU BETTER APPRECIATE HA LYRICS). The album is a step furter and complex compared to Lady Wood, this one needs time and taste to grow on you, and when it does it leaves you wondering how something so good can exist. Tove delivered on every single track adding a twist on them, the weird voice on Disco T*ts, the guitar on Stranger, the feature and drop on Romantics, the FLAWLESS melodie on Bad Days and the iconic inconsistence between Hey You Got Drugs?' title and production are a few to mention, you better put this one on your music library and enjoy the final two chapters of this perfect era.

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Daddy Issues - Ruin The Friendship - Only Forever

I've been with Demi since the Don't Forget days so I've experienced all her musical changes, I can say that I've never been more happy with a Dem's album. Tell Me You Love Me is the high of years and years of searching a sound that fits her voice and style perfectly, from the moment Sorry Not Sorry was released I expected big things, the whole album fits her like a ring and she delivers vocals for CENTURIES (as always); I hope this era keeps giving her the recognition and success she derserves, all the songs on the album are infectious and well produced, the 1-2-3 punch listed as my favorite three left me shaking, she did THAT! My only complain is the Target exclusive tracks, hmmmm they deserved better, I can't belive they left them outside of the standard edition but decided to include the collabs and acoustic versions. I hope she keeps developing this sounds and style cause I'm living for this Lovato.

Edited by JDC

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Don't Take The Money - Goodbye - Nothing Is U

I've loved Jack's producer magic since the first moment I heard it, he's involved in the making of some of my all time favorite albums so it was fair to give his solo project a try, Don't Take The Money was the first Bleachers song I tried and WOW, my mind was blown away. The whole project is a weird but entretaining journey (both production and lyrics), I love how it's filled with unexpected moments, it makes you wonder what will come and how he made it. It was hard to choose my three favorites because I relate to the content on the album on a high lever, but those three songs have a really strong message that makes me feel sad/happy.

Edited by JDC

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Casanova - Lifted - Downtown

Allie X owns a special spot on my heart, she claimed my attention with Catch and Bitch from the first "chapter" of the whole COLLXTION world. I'm pretty sure this is her debut album and I have to say it sums up very well her esence, her music is pure and explosive pop with little twists and dark sparks over here and there, for example we have Vintage, a major throwback pop number, a youthful love song that gets stuck on your brain, some songs later we have Simon Says, a twisted synth alternative witch pop masterpiece where she talks about mental health, an abussive relationship or good self esteem mixed with an imaginary friend (not sure, you'll have to listen and judge). Allie delivered some of her best songs here, and I hope she keeps exploring this pop side, her first EP COLLXTION I was more electronic.

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Finding You - Hunt You Down - Boots

Kesha's triumphant return should be added to history books, the level of perfection she delivered should be teached to future generations. Rainbow mixes Kesha's past "$" persona with an acoustic and softer sound to create some of the most powerful If You Seek A haters anthems, Praying, the first single of the project is the only "friendly" and forgiving song to someone who made you suffer, it's a "you couldn't break me down" scream that showed another Kesha side (lyrically, sonically and vocally). The album flows well through the big bad ass songs like Woman and Let 'Em Talk and the cute love songs like Finding You and Hunt You Down (even tho psycho Kesha makes its appeareance on the last one, Stephen who?); I'm really happy for her and what this era gave her but I need a longer version of the sweet and weird Godzilla.

Edited by JDC

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: K. - Apocalypse - Sweet

The self-titled album of this mellow band helped me through difficult times, every time I was feeling sad, angry or just unstable I'll play this album and get my pieces back together, I don't remember how I found them, I just know that the first track that I heard from them was Affection, I remember I went out to my balcony to smoke a cigar at night for a whole week while playing this song, then I heard the album so I had to shuffle the tracks to enjoy the experience. The whole album is very quiet and chill with its production and straight forward with the lyrics, th front vocals seduce you and invite you to close your eyes and get into the world he's painting you. I can't name a bad track here, in fact I found myself conflicted about wich one is my favorite and why, to pick my favorite three I had to check the plays of each one and, well, those three are the winners by far, I hope Kristen comes back sometime because whenever I listen to K. I find myself missing her.

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Two Ghosts - Sweet Creature - Woman

Who would've guessed huh? WHO? Like, typically a former member of a boy band leans on pop/current/Top 40 sounds, it's a formula that's been perfectioned since the beginning of times, like Justin Timberlake's progress; Harry just skipped all that pre fabricated line up and delivered ART, another album that deserves a spot on The Louvre, right next to Mona Lisa and the greatest art creations. Sign Of The Times is an epic, timeless pop/rock/alternative 5:41 masterpiece that touches a different subject, current times, the state of our society and things, it's a powerfull emotion and message for current generations, it's an strong statement. The whole album carries soft rock vibes and elements adding some current elements here and there. THE VOCALS, ugh Harry Styles you're a gift from the Gods above, his vocals are EVERYTHING on this album, on each song he delivers a different side of his vocal abilities, proving that he can switch between the highs and the lows; Harry has been one of my biggest crushes ever, he seems like such a mysterious, interesting male sculpture with flawless hair, and he's gotten better and better after he decided to go solo, his fashion takes me to heaven and he definitly represents a big part of my 2017.

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Location - Saved - Winter

When I first heard Location I became addicted to it, the melody, lyrics, production and, above it all, his voice are a combo made in heaven, what a solid debut! Khalid is definitly a great addition to contemporany music, his album is full of beautifully crafted songs made for catching your attention from beginning to end; American Teen is the resume of a teenager boy's summer, the love, the parties, the issues, everything is on it (I'm 22 but I feel like 16 when I listen to this album); I think he captured really well the essence of teenage years, like Lorde did when she released her masterpiece debut Pure Heroine (not at that level but something similar). Saved is THAT song, the way it evolves and adds different elements through the songs, ugh, my knees go weak.

giphy.gif

FAVORITE THREE: Perfect for You - Keep Up - Labels

Fight Song was an amazing song, I liked it but it wasn't a daily song for me; when I readed that Rachel was preparing her second album Waves I wasn't expecting much, just another cute powerful song and maybe a bop; then I heard Perfect For You and WOW, my mind was blown, it's such a bop, it's so catchy and the production is so awesome, so I checked the lead single of the project, Broken Glass, and I found the two things I was expecting: a powerful song and a BOP! How did she managed to evolve between albums so fast and with a perfect execution? Waves is a pure pop album, filled with bop after bop, some chill tunes and two beautiful songs near the end; I fell in love with every single one of them, and watching interviews and stuff I found out that she has such a sweet personality; the Target exclusive tracks are also AH-MAZING, so yes, you need to check this album ASAP, you won't regret it. Keep Up is POP PERFECTION, nothing less, you'll fall in love with this album and you'll be repeating it day after day. #JusticeForWaves

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.