Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

Sunflowers for Alfred Roy appreciation thread

Featured Replies

 

The lambs don't talk about this song much. Every once in a while I come across this and can't imagine the 'anguish' Mariah was going through at that time. This is much better than the atrocious 'Bye Bye' and lyrically better than 'One Sweet Day'. 

 

The lyrics are so heartfelt and most importantly not pretentious. The melody is divine. The vocals are honest.

Such an underrated and beautiful song. It was an instant favorite on my initial listen when I played Charmbracelet 2 years ago :jonnycat: she was really going through a lot back then

This song makes me so emotional that I rarely play it. This verse reminds me so much of my father it makes me tear up :gaycat6:

 

Strange to feel that proud, strong man
Grip tightly to my hand
Hard to see the life inside
Wane as the days went by
Trying to preserve each word
He murmured in my ear
Watch part of my life disappear

 

Atrl discussion GIF - Find on GIFER

 

  • Author
19 minutes ago, ParisTexas said:

This song makes me so emotional that I rarely play it. This verse reminds me so much of my father it makes me tear up :gaycat6:

 

Strange to feel that proud, strong man
Grip tightly to my hand
Hard to see the life inside
Wane as the days went by
Trying to preserve each word
He murmured in my ear
Watch part of my life disappear

 

Atrl discussion GIF - Find on GIFER

 

I'm scared of such moments in life. 

I actually think Charmbracelet is Mariah's most lyrically personal and compositionally coherent album, its song structures really show Mariah, the composer. Especially the 5 minute songs that surprisingly never seem overlong thanks to varied structure and converging hooks.

1 hour ago, SuperCiC1 said:

I actually think Charmbracelet is Mariah's most lyrically personal and compositionally coherent album, its song structures really show Mariah, the composer. Especially the 5 minute songs that surprisingly never seem overlong thanks to varied structure and converging hooks.

YES! :clap3: "Charmbracelet" and "Butterfly" show Mariah at her absolute best as a songwriter and composer. No wonder it's a personal favourite of hers and one she frequently highlights as the overlooked gem of her discography. 

 

OT: What a coincidence! I've been revisiting the entirety of "Charmbracelet" this morning, and "Sunflowers For Alfred Roy" was playing right as I clicked on this thread. It's indeed such a beautiful and vulnerable composition. "One Sweet Day" is more universal, so it's understandable the lyricism is less detailed there, but I'd still name it as my favourite of the three for the powerful moment it represented. Meanwhile... "Bye Bye" was a rare misstep and it just doesn't work at all. 

My dad was never in my life…

 

But yes, this song is incredibly beautiful. 
 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.