Billie Eilish drags artists releasing different vinyls for numbers and money

k4rmabutterfly

It's interesting that fans of a certain ecoterrorist are conveniently ignoring her actual points like the sustainability of her own vinyl and that it's embarrassing for a *veteran* to still be so obsessed with numbers and charts. I guess reading comprehension isn't their strong point, which is also confirmed when they call their faves sophomoric lyrics great art.

Edited by Jay07
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 4

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jay07

• Feanor

• suburbannature

• Kyoto

so many people in here clearly didn't read what she said + the OP titles being misleading :dies:

32 minutes ago, Archetype said:

I don't think she actually meant "all" because half of the artists you mentioned (especially Gaga, Bey, and Lana) don't do this and if anything don't release enough basic album vinyls to meet demand.  

???

Beyoncé has 4 different vinyl variants with exclusive vinyl discs and a cover available of her most recent album and Lana's recent album had even more variants than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay07 said:

You realize she's on her second album and Taylor is on like... the fiftieth or something, I've lost count. She's within her rights to want to establish herself but when you're a literal billionaire veteran and still trying to scam the charts for a few extra bucks, that's just pathetic. 

And Beyoncé, Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney all tried to scam the charts with their recent albums as well, offering multiple different vinyl versions. And all of them have been veterans longer than Taylor has. So why is it not an issue for them?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Feanor said:

And Beyoncé, Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney all tried to scam the charts with their recent albums as well, offering multiple different vinyl versions. And all of them have been veterans longer than Taylor has. So why is it not an issue for them?

Who said it isn't? But it's only Taylor fans hollering here. I guess Billie hit a nerve.

• Like 2

Just now, Jay07 said:

Who said it isn't? But it's only Taylor fans hollering here. I guess Billie hit a nerve.

Then perhaps you should browse the thread again, because most of the users who've commented and given reactions disagreeing with Billie and/or calling her out are by users with no Taylor-related names or avis.

• Like 1

Just now, Feanor said:

Then perhaps you should browse the thread again, because most of the users who've commented and given reactions disagreeing with Billie and/or calling her out are by users with no Taylor-related names or avis.

Are you one of those people?

It's obvious that she's not ok with her company selling all these variants, it does not come as tacky with her doing it, it comes her against her own label
She has a strong key point and I agree with it. 

• Like 1

She's right. Speak your truth miss two-times-academy winner :clap3:

The music industry has become so dirty and money obsessed that it's just beyond disgusting at this point.

2 hours ago, mike_int said:

su5zhqfcvjs21.jpg

vinyl-collectors-whats-the-best-sounding

s-l1600.jpg

qj02wof0w1s61.jpg

If You Say So Shrug GIF

:deadbanana2:

7 minutes ago, commander said:

She's right. Speak your truth miss two-times-academy winner :clap3:

The music industry has become so dirty and money obsessed that it's just beyond disgusting at this point.

when has it not been that way? let's be serious

:suburban:

anyways she makes a few points. y'all are fooling yourselves if you think billie have much of a choice about the variants on her earlier albums, even HTE which some were made of recycled material. 

but this thread is serving a more nuanced version of this which is not surprising sadly

Screen_Shot_2021-03-01_at_2.28.39_PM.png 

• Like 1

she is right but the amount of vinyls released by her is quite funny :suburban: i think if she said she regrets contributing to it with her previous releases this whole thing would come off way better 

Billie didn't outright say it, but I think the implication here is that Interscope is the one pushing for all these vinyl variants, otherwise she would be a hypocrite for complaining about it. It's good that she's at least trying to mitigate the impact of wasteful vinyl production by choosing to make hers recyclable. I don't understand why y'all are attacking Billie as if she personally called out your faves. This is an industry-wide issue. 

• Like 13

How is it wasteful? They don't end up in landfill people are collecting them lol 

now i await the artist who will take a stand against the fugly overpriced landfill quality merch these labels are shelling out 

• Haha 1

• ATRL Moderator

I love Billie and she’s not wrong… but she does the same thing and should at least acknowledge that if she’s going to speak on this issue. 

• Like 4

Meh, ain't nobody forcing people to buy them. 

And people won't make them if there aren't people who buy them. 

I get the environmental point but we should focus that energy on big companies and governments, not popstars making vinyls :deadbanana2:

Edited by Thin White Duke
  • Like 2

She's right, but she is also being a bit hypocritical with some of this.

She's absolutely correct in that it's wasteful, and it's commendable that she's using recycled material. But the part highlighting that it's all to get people to buy more, to chart better, to make more money—which is all correct, sure—is rather hypocritical considering she also releases multiple variants with the sole purpose of…making money. She's had many vinyls marketed as "collectibles", which is just another way artists get fans to line their pockets. If she and her team/label truly didn't care about any of those things, there would be no Billie Eilish variants with every release. 

There's just really no way to say that part out loud if you're a major artist signed to a major label. 

Its me, hi! 

Im the problem its me 

Higher Than Heaven (2023 AOTY) uses 100% recycled materials. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/billie-eilish-albums-vinyl-criticism-b2520323.html

"We live in this day and age where, for some reason, it's very important to some artists to make all sorts of different vinyl and packaging,” Eilish told the magazine.

Eilish's 2021 album Happier Than Ever was released in eight different vinyl varients

Lmao, is she ok? Art not the charts chanteuse lmao

:ahh:

She's right 

But all mainstream artists are guilty of this

Honestly if you're signed to a major label you are already a part of the problem

These greedy corporations do everything to kill the planet

So if you are a part of a major label you have no place in these conversations 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.