Billie Eilish drags artists releasing different vinyls for numbers and money

k4rmabutterfly

This is giving when she claimed to be vegan while wearing real leather Gucci stuff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jay07

• Feanor

• suburbannature

• Kyoto

She's right, but of course it's going to turn into a stan war'd issue. She might be hypocritical here but her saying this is still more impactful than an indie artist who never released vinyls (and try finding someone like that, unfortunately, a lot of people rely on them, even my fave with 15k monthly listeners on Spotify) saying the same and technically not being a hypocrite. Her words may actually influence other artists to follow the sustainable path, and it's commendable that Billie has enough power to convince her label to do so, which is probably not as easy as manufacturing them in the usual way. And if she happens to refuse to release vinyls for her next album (an impossible scenario, but let's use your imagination) and states sustainability as her reason, will people here applaud her and say what a great person she is for doing the right thing? No, they will call her a flop, say what a decline it is, no excuses etc. Consumers are a part of capitalism, too.

• Like 5

Cheap tactic to launch her new era.  

Edited by Roger21
  • Like 1

And why was she throwing random paints on vinyl if not for greed, money or charts? Hypocrite. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rep2000 said:

If you really wanna act dumb, then tell us what's the difference in producing those 2 cases anyway?

How many albums Billie has made again? And why does she has like > 30 vinyl variations already?

I'd be interested in seeing what Taylor's discography looks like compared to this...

Nevertheless - Billie is right. It's greed and it's wasteful. But she's a bit of a hypocrite herself. 

8 hours ago, k4rmabutterfly said:

"I can't even express to you how wasteful it is. It is right in front of our faces and people are just getting away with it left and right, and I find it really frustrating as somebody who really goes out of my way to be sustainable and do the best that I can and try to involve everybody in my team in being sustainable — and then it's some of the biggest artists in the world making f–king 40 different vinyl packages that have a different unique thing just to get you to keep buying more. It's so wasteful, and it's irritating to me that we're still at a point where you care that much about your numbers and you care that much about making money — and it's all your favorite artists doing that sh-t.”

Thoughts?

Girl bye. As seen on this thread she is a hypocrite. She wants to actually make a difference? Instead of just doing this in an interview. Say their names and have this same energy with these artists in person. Alot of the people that do this she wouldn't think twice about collaborating or be friends with but here she is being all high and mighty. Also she's one to talk considering she's always had her foot in the door with the connections she's had so for her to make it seem like she doesn't care about numbers or whatever is so hypocritical. Glad people are clocking her ****. She's had a tendency to be insufferable for sometime now tbh. Is she talented? Yeah. But my god she is annoying

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

She's only a hypocrite if those variants of hers had tons of copies produced, and I don't think they did. 

I read the whole the whole interview and it is just a mess. 

Like, at the very beginning, they mention that HTE has 8 variants of vinyl. And then Billie said she used recycled material to produce her vinyl and make it more environmentally friendly. And all of sudden she started to drag "all of your fav" releasing multiple version of vinyls cause they "only cares about their number and money". But sis why did you release your 8 versions of vinyl? Is this a self-drag?:rip: Or did I miss something?

Edited by HappierJealousy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, tellem said:

She's only a hypocrite if those variants of hers had tons of copies produced, and I don't think they did. 

The point is, didn't she release those variants for "money and number"? If she did not, why did she release them? Don't tell me she released them for art not chart

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tellem said:

They did, she's basically the third best seller when it comes to vinyl this decade.

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

I mean...she has a point, but it comes across as hypocritical when both of her albums have some of the largest vinyl variant counts I've seen in recent years (Happier Than Ever had like 1 or 2 variants that were made from recycled vinyl, which is a good sign, but there were still a lot of others).  Interested to see what she does for the next album.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

They did, she's basically the third best seller when it comes to vinyl this decade.

I guess but I was thinking of releases with additional tracks or collectibles. Putting out the same product in different colours isn't really the same 

I'm so eco friendly by not buying any physicals anymore :cm:. Stream it

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, XXI. said:

I'd be interested in seeing what Taylor's discography looks like compared to this...

Nevertheless - Billie is right. It's greed and it's wasteful. But she's a bit of a hypocrite herself. 

This was made before the other 2 editions of Tortured Poets were announced (and a few other new albums like Dua), but it covers her releases in recent years.

GHBX9eUXkAASz0U?format=jpg&name=large

11 minutes ago, tellem said:

I guess but I was thinking of releases with additional tracks or collectibles. Putting out the same product in different colours isn't really the same 

You're right, it's lazy, an easy cash grab with no thought behind it but to inflate sales a bit :redface:

Offering more content per product or more variation than just a different vinyl color is making the money's worth and a better service for the fans - or collectors - the target audience for variants.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Into The Void said:

I'm so eco friendly by not buying any physicals anymore :cm:. Stream it

Umm, that is actually worse.  17 hours of streaming has the same carbon footprint of one vinyl record. If you cared about the environment you would use CDs.  

• Thanks 1

Billie Eilish sits at her vanity

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Offering more content per product or more variation than just a different vinyl color is making the money's worth and a better service for the fans - or collectors - the target audience for variants.

:bibliahh: y'all have gone off the deep end I swear

yes, I'm sure the label is thinking of the fans when pulling these tricks. bffr now. :rip:

1 minute ago, AMIT said:

:bibliahh: y'all have gone off the deep end I swear

yes, I'm sure the label is thinking of the fans when pulling these tricks. bffr now. :rip:

No one is forcing anyone to buy variants, collectors will buy multiple, at least give them their money's worth. Who do you think are the target audience for these? :rip: Why do you think western artists physical sales are a joke next to Korea + Japan right now? One market clearly puts more effort than the other.

Edited by Popboi.

not her going after Olivia, Taylor, Ari when she's doing the same thing lol

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

No one is forcing anyone to buy variants, collectors will buy multiple, at least give them their money's worth. Who do you think are the target audience for these? :rip:

Yes, and marketing is not a real thing that exists, I guess. :rip:

Obviously there's not a gun to anyone's head forcing them to buy it, but there's a reason why artists have been shifting to curating and then coddling their fanbases so much these last few years. It's so they will keep buying everything the artist churns out. 

Labels are not adding different songs to each version so the fans ''make their money's worth'', they are doing it so fans feel BAD about not having everything from their fave and then having to buy MORE from the artist to get everything. To argue otherwise is to just not understand how these things work and frankly kinda insane. 

Stop trying to justify these lame cash grabs by the labels. The fans get NOTHING out of it; they only lose more money. No one's forcing the labels to pull these kind of tricks either, but they still do it and make the fan experience worse. Why? 

Edited by AMIT
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

You're right, it's lazy, an easy cash grab with no thought behind it but to inflate sales a bit :redface:

The point is that they don't drive up sales in the same way. :deadbanana2: The target audience is basically the same as for the standard vinyl (3 of the variants are just Amazon/Target/Walmart exclusives). It's not as likely to be someone's 5th purchase

She has a point. She should swiftly say it

• Haha 1

The stans of the greediest ***** to walk this Earth are shaking in their boots, crying, throwing up.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

She said this then got on a private jet to fly to Malibu from downtown LA for her Nobu reservation 

• Haha 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.