• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• State of Grace.

• cockatoo

• madonnas

Move has grown on me a lot and I prob should’ve given it a 10. But I hate when people mispronounce “Chantilly”!

4 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

Just like one of these albums is about to be...

It's OVER for Harry's Gentrified Neighbourhood.

• ATRL Moderator

Another #1 hit is out next!

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, creativity. said:

Move has grown on me a lot and I prob should’ve given it a 10. But I hate when people mispronounce “Chantilly”!

What is the correct pronunciation?

Just now, supaspaz said:

Another #1 hit is out next!

What if break my soul is out before as it was :sherlock:

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

What is the correct pronunciation?

Ch like shhhh

• ATRL Moderator

6O3AuLj.png

BREAK MY SOUL

Average score: 7.78

High score: 10 (@supaspaz, @Reverie, @MP2K, @State of Grace., @Norte, @Taemira, @Sanguine)

Low score: 1.5 (@305)

Maybe it was the heavy sampling of Robin S.’s iconic “Show Me Love” or perhaps the endlessly quotable lyrics (“The queens in the front and the doms in the back/Ain't takin' no flicks but the whole clique snapped”). But this lead single from Renaissance, a liberation cry of the diva house variety, felt like an instant classic when it dropped last summer – and it was treated thusly. After becoming Beyoncé’s first #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 in five years, “Break My Soul” was nominated for Record of the Year and Song of the Year at the Grammys and won the award for Best Dance/Electronic Recording. Its widespread critical acclaim included mentions from the Los Angeles Times, Slant and The Washington Post as the best song of the year, while Rolling Stone almost immediately added it to a list of the greatest dance tracks of all time.

Best bit: “Release ya anger, release ya mind/Release ya job, release the time,” a chant sampled from Big Freedia’s “Explode

ATRL says…: “She tried to give us something like ‘Rhythm Is a Dancer’ but just could not fully pull it off,” @Katamari suggested. @Ewan Chaos had “fun watching this being a bona fide smash after Bey hadn't had a proper hit since like...IASF era.” @Ace Reject would have given a 10!!! (with three exclamation points) to the Queens Remix.

Like..THE Grace Jones agreeing to be on her joint..

the song is great, I love the concept of Moving away!

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, creativity. said:

Ch like shhhh

Somehow never clocked that she gave it a hard ch! And after including champagne in the line before.

I knew yall would do this dirty :shakeno: All Up In Your Mind and America Has a Problem should have left before it.

Still a great song and the perfect lead single for the album and no one is changing my mind. 

Edit: Also the Queens Remix is one of the gayest and best things I've heard in ages, so we're thankful for that.

Edited by State of Grace.

Tbh one of the weakest songs on the album

should've been gone before several other songs

but yea, we stan Beyonce too much

Maybe I overplayed it last summer but BMS has lost a lot of its magic for me. On recent listens I get so bored a minute in

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Rev8 said:

but yea, we stan Beyonce too much

Counterargument: We don't.

• Like 1

We're already in the top 25 so I'm cool with these placings! I do wish BMS outlasted AUIYM though, an obviously underrated track but I just like BMS more.

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

Edit: Also the Queen Remix is one of the gayest and best things I've heard in ages, so we're thankful for that.

It doesn't totally work for me (at least, not better than the original does), but I love its audacity.

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

Let me bring you all a man...

I thought I wasn’t gonna like the album after I heard BMS but thankfully I was wrong!

ye the samples are just way more interesting than the final songs :michael:

Tití Me Preguntó and Snooze have outlasted many better songs from their respective albums :skull: The single privilege is real I swear!

It's time for AIW to leave as well. Love it but it shouldnt be above the remaining songs :redface:

• ATRL Moderator

gVZqZJL.png

AS IT WAS

Average score: 7.79

High score: 10 (@Rev8, @dooart, @Katamari, @MP2K, @jacklovesyou1, @Virgos Groove, @Achilles., @creativity., @Norte, @V3$$3L.)

Low score: 1 (@a_d_22)

It’s not exactly a shock that the highest-ranking track from Harry’s House is its lead single. It was, after all, a historic smash – including 15 weeks atop the Billboard Hot 100 through a record five separate runs – that arguably overtook the album itself. There were also those Grammy nominations for Record of the Year and Song of the Year, while Entertainment Weekly and USA Today named it the best song of 2022. But what does seem notable is that the inevitable backlash for any pop star who gets so big they can no longer be contained within our own conceptions of them (see: the reception to Midnights in this rate), which hit Harry particularly hard after the Don’t Worry Darling debacle, did not stop “As It Was” from nearly cracking the top twenty. Is this swoony synthpop throwback about accepting change just that undeniable, that much better than everything else from the era?

Best bit: those final 30 seconds, with tubular bells chiming and a madcap piano line, are pure push-through-the-melancholy uplift

ATRL says…: “Yeah, it is a bit overplayed now, but it's truly one of the best recent songs in popular music,” @Rev8 argued. “I know the ATRL-Female Obsessed-Users will disagree tho :toofunny3:@Katamari pointed out that “if this was done by some indie act, y’all would be stanning HARD! That being said,” he added, “‘Blinding Lights,’ sweetie...” @Ewan Chaos acknowledged it was the “best song on the album, but I'm intentionally giving it a lower score because it doesn't deserve to be like...even top 20.” (Mission accomplished!) He was annoyed that Harry “totally ripped off Dayglow.” @cockatoo “hated this when I first heard it but the relentless radio play and got me to gradually accept it.” @byzantium was in the minority of voters. “Surprisingly this might be my favorite Harry Styles album?” he admitted. “There are no 10’s here like on his last album, but it is surprisingly consistent.”

• ATRL Moderator

So that's it for poor Mr. Styles. Absolutely decimated at the beginning of the countdown, yet he managed to not be the first album out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.