Taylor Swift - ‘Midnights’

Almodusa

What's stopping these people from mass streaming LH instead? :redface: Or the superior TGW?

• Replies 51.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• By the Water

• Squall

• simmnfierzig

Anti-Hit was the best choice for a lead single. I'm still shook she made the right choice. Lavender Haze always screamed 2nd single to me. Granted anything she released back then would have smashed anyway.

KYtBoeg.gif

Yeah definitely She made the video of LH as opener and with the intentions to release It some week before the album. Then She changed idea. No sense to make a video with easter eggs about title tracks to release It now :angel:

But It was a perfect idea. 

I used to switch out these Kens

I'd just ghost

Rip the band aid off and skip town 

spacer.png

Freedom felt like summer then

On the coast

Now the sun burns my heart and

The sand hurts my feelings 

spacer.png 

Oh my, love is a lie

**** my friends say to get me by

It hits different

It hits different this time

spacer.png

41 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

Joining WCS :clap3:

My DJ10MVTVFTV —> WCS single release fantasy is stirring :clap3:

2 hours ago, simmnfierzig said:

Joining WCS :clap3:

When she's gonna release the short movie with both songs 

3 hours ago, Cleanromantic said:

Perfect gif for the "Midnights is free falling" girls 

spacer.png

:bibliahh: This is perfect. 

6 hours ago, on the line said:

I'm convinced LH was meant to be first single, and even released pre-album, but she changed her mind at some point. Everything from it beginning with meet me at midnight (her og post re midnigts had that phrase) to Mastermind (vinyl cover) and Maroon hints (incense burning on the shelf). This video perfectly sets up the aesthetic of the whole era.

Really curious what happened behind the scenes that led them to switch singles. I'm guessing it's why we didn't get the pre-album single.

My guess is videos were originally meant to go:

LH - sets up era, upbeat dancey

AH - continuation of LH with outfit, house, more toned down, catchy and vibey 2nd single

BJ - close era, silly fun and poppy and lead into speak now tv

If I’m not mistaken, I believe it was fully confirmed that Lavender Haze was the original lead single. Some reliable people in certain circles had claimed this, and then Taylor herself mentioned how someone told her to go with Anti-Hero first, and so she decided to.

Thank GOD for that person, I think LH would’ve also smashed hugely, but AH will have much more longevity than it would’ve as a lead. Plus AH is just better and more memorable. 

was hoping AH could break SIO record of her song with most weeks in top 3 but with that radio drops, it will settle for #2. 

Anti-Hero makes sense as the first single. It's a statement song, the same way Shake It Off and LWYMMD were. 

They're not necessarily the best songs on the album, but they wouldn't make sense as being anything other than the lead single. 

5 hours ago, Holiest Dreams said:

Taylor herself mentioned how someone told her to go with Anti-Hero first, and so she decided to

Hmm where did she say this? Jack posted on his insta story the other day about how Taylor decided to go with it as the lead because she loved the lyrics, but that they should never expect it to go number 1 because it was too weird or something like that. 

I thought that was funny because it was so on brand for Taylor to think the actual best choice for a lead single would not connect at all :deadbanana2: she must still be awful at picking them 

On 1/27/2023 at 6:22 AM, Rican said:

What I don’t understand is that the era’s tour is gonna boost the original albums that don’t have the TV’s out especially 1989 and reputation so I’m not understanding why she and her team are okay with Shamrock benefiting to what appears to be a record breaking tour. :michael:

Because streaming doesnt pay that much and she still got writter right which means a lot of that money also went to her pocket.

All she needs is stopping all licensing deal.

12 hours ago, Cleanromantic said:

Perfect gif for the "Midnights is free falling" girls 

spacer.png

Where is this from? Her hair & fit look so good :jonny5:

littlebodybigheart
13 minutes ago, Magickarp said:

Where is this from? Her hair & fit look so good :jonny5:

lover music video behind the scenes

15 hours ago, youreyesgocold said:

I am not an expert on radio or even someone who knows how to check their charts so I won’t  debate this much more (especially if someone comes with hard receipts to destroy me), but from a quick look at @swifferupdates on Twitter, it looks like AH has been stable and peaking until the 20th, while LH was peaking on radio every week since Jan 11. We can’t say for certain that she saw LH rising for a few weeks, and decided to push LH more over AH as soon as it started dropping - but I think that’s more likely than her just deciding to randomly swap their positions on the steaming playlists this week and release the LH music video now. They barely gave AH a week to see if it would stabilize 

I just see nothing that tells me that they "let go" of AH in favour of LH on radio. Pop radio started dropping AH since January 16th (it was saved by HAC and especially AC radio for overall AI), and there was no sign of LH rising fast on radio whatsoever. Outside of the airplay it gained back after new year's playlists were over (+ 0.8), it never increased more than (+ 0.3) in January (it alternated between small gain/small drop for nearly 2 weeks now). The song has been stalling so far in 2023. And the fast drop of AH on radio is not correlated with an increase of LH. AH is just dropping because radio are dropping it, there is no other explanation. Switching to LH was essential because 1. it gives the song a chance to get boosted on radio and streaming and 2. it keeps the Midnights era alive. I think they care much more about the stability of the album than for 2 or 3 extra Top 10 weeks for AH. 

4 hours ago, youreyesgocold said:

Hmm where did she say this? Jack posted on his insta story the other day about how Taylor decided to go with it as the lead because she loved the lyrics, but that they should never expect it to go number 1 because it was too weird or something like that. 

I thought that was funny because it was so on brand for Taylor to think the actual best choice for a lead single would not connect at all :deadbanana2: she must still be awful at picking them 

I don't remember who it was with but she said that to a publication who reported on how she decided to drop the videos spread out rather than all first week, and that someone (I think it was the comedian in the AH video) told her AH should be the lead single. So she decided with that. 

Hopefully someone remembers and has the receipts but I know a lot of people remember it.

1 hour ago, Holiest Dreams said:

I don't remember who it was with but she said that to a publication who reported on how she decided to drop the videos spread out rather than all first week, and that someone (I think it was the comedian in the AH video) told her AH should be the lead single. So she decided with that. 

Hopefully someone remembers and has the receipts but I know a lot of people remember it.

I can't stop rewatching the Lavender Haze MV :clap3:. It really captures the 70s insomnia vibes of the photo shoot. Anti Hero was very 70s as well but that skit felt very modern and the humour was very new girl/ 30 rock/ Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Bejeweled did not fit the 70s aesthetic at all. Hopefully the music video for Midnight Rain is heavy on the psychedelic 70s imagery. Maybe she can venture outside that house and have some retro high fashion looks as well.