Is Olivia Newton underrated?

JuanXito

Olivia Newton-John was one of the most underrated vocalists in music

Olivia had a great vocal range and didn't need to show of skin .A beautiful face and great voice and the ability to sell Every song she sang.

As all of the best pop stars are, she was chameleonic, her voice by turns a coo and a demand on her breakthrough single, 1973’s “Let Me Be There”; knowing, fun, and quietly commanding on 1981’s “Physical” ; and aptly dreamy and otherworldly on “Magic” .

Think of her performance of one of the film’s centrepiece numbers – and one of music’s great torch songs – “Hopelessly Devoted to You”. Her vocal is clean and soaring, but to hear it is to be right down in the dirt with Sandy too

Are we just talking about vocally or in general?

In general, she’s been a certified legend — played multiple iconic characters, had one of the biggest female singles of the 1980s, won a variation of awards, and sold a considerable amount of records. I’d say she was rated well and highly revered. Beloved before and after her untimely passing. 

Vocally, I think she had a stunning voice, but I wouldn’t say it was underrated. When I think of underrated female vocalists of the 70s and 80s, I think more-so along the lines of Phyllis Hyman, Rachelle Ferrell, Stephanie Mills and Anita Baker, who aren’t nearly as celebrated for their voices, nor are they as known by todays youth as Olivia, whose voice will live on through iconic songs and musicals. She got her due. 

But I did find this article that supports a lot of how you and many others feel about Olivia’s well-traveled range and it’s a good read: https://news.yahoo.com/underappreciated-singer-olivia-newton-john-162233919.html

Isnt Physical the 2nd biggest female songs of all time on the Hot 100 only after How Do I Live by LeAnn Rimes? :rip: she is a huge huge ICON.

Edited by duybeeGAshantiGA

She was an absolute legend but somehow still felt underrated, she had one of the most angelic voices I've ever listened to + her ability to pretty much sing any genre of music was amazing

Yes

The fact Dua Lipa's Physical  referenced to her song yet many ppl dont know about it is a crime

Her 80a video albums are magical... all made before certain artist stole the idea, rebranded it as visuals and sold it as her own original product

She is a legend but so underrated 

I do think she has in a way become somewhat underrated. People know Sandy from "Grease", and the songs from the movie.

"Physical" was huge back in the day, but I don't know if it had the long lasting legacy that some expected back in the daym

Most of her other songs and albums don't get much attention, and it isn't right.

1 hour ago, UnanimousBB16 said:

I do think she has in a way become somewhat underrated. People know Sandy from "Grease", and the songs from the movie.

"Physical" was huge back in the day, but I don't know if it had the long lasting legacy that some expected back in the daym

Most of her other songs and albums don't get much attention, and it isn't right.

This. 

John will always be a 1970’s Pop Icon and, chart wise, one of the biggest female artists of all-time in the U.S but her long-lasting legacy is rooted within ‘Grease’ and ‘Sandy’, a character from a movie, mostly. 

Overall, her discography isn’t as popular or referenced as some of her female peers from her era ala. Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Linda Ronstadt, Donna Summer (who is also underrated), especially to the newer generations, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have classics. ‘Physical’ & ‘I Honestly Love You’ (excluding the Grease OST) are two very well-remembered songs, especially the latter, and I think that’s enough for most Pop stars to possess. 

I think if John saw more Pop success in the 80’s (post-Physical) or even AC success in the 90’s then she wouldn’t appear as “forgotten” in the grand scheme of things. 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.