Hot take: Bjork actually sucks, why?

fauxtography

Question for the culture  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Bjork sucks y/n

• Yes
    • No

I’ll never forget the day. I was excited to see Janet Jackson perform at the Super Bowl and I saw the video for Pagan Poetry on MTV2. My life was never the same and I completely dived in. Homogenic and Vespertine. Jesus Christ, the brilliance. Your faves could neva 

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fauxtography

• mellenthin

• Yog

• flower moon

When Bjork belts, my bones shake. Her voice is so powerful.

Beyond her unique vocal style, she truly has some extreme pipes!

And sis produces and always pushes the envelope. Avant gard indeed.

9 minutes ago, Katamari said:

i like bjork but the way yall get so triggered over someone not liking her is a mess :deadbanana4:

the way they inadvertently strengthened my arguments and bias with their posts - "walks like a duck" as they say

ezgif.com-gif-maker.thumb.gif.b86593de65

I was looking for a very appropriate video clip when Bjork compared pop music to fast food and I cannot find it.

I wouldn't say she sucks but i just don't...understand the hype personally. 

Her style of singing irritates me & it's the same reason I don't listen to Billie and her warbled mumbles. It's like... She lags behind the beat 

I love her weird Music videos though 

3 minutes ago, Sergi91 said:

I mean what exactly is this? 

:deadbanana4:

ART :loki:

I used to find this song weird but one day it just CLICKED and I understood why it's such a masterpiece tbh. Take your time and I'm sure you'll come to that conclusion as well.

7 minutes ago, AMIT said:

ART :loki:

I used to find this song weird but one day it just CLICKED and I understood why it's such a masterpiece tbh. Take your time and I'm sure you'll come to that conclusion as well.

I feel like I need to be high to “understand” the art behind it :emofish:

20 minutes ago, Sergi91 said:

It's an atmospheric and a low key song, which means it's probably gonna take more than a few listens to truly get everything it's trying to transmit tbh. It's not something you can just put on and expect to mindlessly bop while you do house chores or some other **** (if you're not already into it, that is). :swan:

30 minutes ago, Sergi91 said:

Dude this is my FAVORITE song on Homogenic... Seriously get high and listen to it plus the rest of the album. You'll thank me later

2 hours ago, Space&Time said:

When Bjork belts, my bones shake. Her voice is so powerful.

Her voice is literally my favorite of all time.

55 minutes ago, Sergi91 said:

This is actually one of her finest and most acclaimed tracks ever. The composition is insane.

All of this just shows that perspective is very important -- her music is objectively good, it all depends on who is listening. Not liking her is okay.

5 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Her songs are hit or miss from what I've heard. Some amazing songs but some of the worst ones I've ever heard too. I mean this song alone...

The part from 1:55 :bibliahh:

Anyone trying to drag her for this song simply doesn't understand the simple meaning behind it.

She is a Nordic woman and very proud of her origins. This whole album is a celebration of the human voice, Greenlandic throat singing and guttural singing... It isn't a song to "enjoy" from a pop/mainstream perspective. It's just what it is. No need to disrespect this ancient type of music that can be actually really beautiful.

28 minutes ago, Sergi91 said:

A masterpiece?

I'd understand contrarians' stance if songs like Pluto, Ancestors, The Gate or Thunderbolt were being posted, but people here are coming for some of her greatest songs (Hyperballad, AIFOL, Hunter), songs with clear melodies, polished production and no crazily unconventional vocal takes. It's ok to not like her but the pretexts have little ground with such examples :doc:

1 hour ago, Katamari said:

i like bjork but the way yall get so triggered over someone not liking her is a mess :deadbanana4:

There's a difference between not liking something and opening a thread to call said thing trash, bring more lashings/negativity to it and further a narrative with a "take" that's not even unpopular to begin with :smile:

1 hour ago, Sergi91 said:

ahh the first bjork song ive ever heard and downloaded

thank you mtv's most controversial videos :jonny5:

Vespertine is pure garbage

you can't be serious

lost me here btw

Edited by gorillaz

1 hour ago, Sergi91 said:

One of the best songs ever? :skull: It is literally always used as an example of great production.

6 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Her songs are hit or miss from what I've heard. Some amazing songs but some of the worst ones I've ever heard too. I mean this song alone...

The part from 1:55 :bibliahh:

Yoko Ono outsold

Edited by charot

That big rant in the OP could have just said: I wish her music was poppier and I don't get experimental music 

• ATRL Moderator

She’s a great artist and songwriter.  I think songs like 5 years are slow burners and the melody hits you at the last minute.  But yeah people are super protective of her.  She tends to be most peoples first artsy pop artist.  

I agree a lot of her discog is messy, but that comes with the territory when you're pushing boundaries as often as Ms. Bjork does. 

22 hours ago, Ferret said:

The hyper ballad song. Even worse . Is the blessed Madonna her producer or what? The vocals :skull: 

cmon I'm not really a fan of her music but Hyperballad is an amazing song!

23 hours ago, Keter said:

She’s not a songstress. It’s an Emperor’s New Clothes situation among music snobs. 

This but with Robyn

Björk is good but she’s definitely not always an easy listen. I still can’t really get into her newer albums.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.