Hot take: Bjork actually sucks, why?

fauxtography

Question for the culture  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Bjork sucks y/n

• Yes
    • No

I can't stand an "I don't like it so it sucks" kind of music fan :rip: Some of y'all are dense

Personally, Björk is not for me. But denying her innovation and influence is ignorant and just... wrong lmao

Edited by EdgeofTeeth

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fauxtography

• mellenthin

• Yog

• flower moon

Between the people who think experimental is synonymous with great and the ones implying you have to be on drugs to enjoy her music

Those arguments aren't doing what y'all think it's doing

Tumblr: Image

30 minutes ago, Haze said:

Honestly, as an opinion you're completely entitled to think she sucks, but some of the 'objective standards' used here are laughable. Her influence is widely attested by both major artists and smaller acts, from Madonna to Arca, from Ellie Goulding to Imogen Heap to Perfume Genius, and she even gets covered by her peers (Tori Amos). Yes, she has moved away from melody in her later career but since when is melody the standard of great music? Tons of musical genres, from classical to jazz to electronic have had major pieces that haven't been melodious. It is only somewhat a standard of what defines pop music, and it's clear Björk situates herself on the edge of what counts as pop music, and not in the middle.

The most annoying thing is the pretentiousness of deciding in our place that we only like Björk because we want to seem cool or smart. When i had a break down and stayed at the mental hospital it was her music that was a lifeline to me, precisely because of its irregularity. Sometimes in life you don't need a 'pretty' song, but a transformative one, and Björk's musical world is a place where my most painful and most beautiful emotions and experiences found a home. Her music has to click, but once it does and you enter her songs, you don't come out of it the same way, something has altered. Vulnicura felt like my own heart bleeding and singing, (with all the ugliness that comes with pain), and when I first played Arisen My Senses on Utopia, it felt like I was coming back alive with her. A tough sonic landscape is sometimes exactly what life demands. My most played artist is Kylie Minogue, because when I study, work out or just chill, i like a preppy pop song, something that is designed to make you feel good. But when i'm in bed and feeling lost, I listen to Björk. Both are essential.

Thank you for sharing, this is a great post. :clap3:

I think a lot of people are missing that my OP was outrageous for entertainment purposes, based off the core realization that I don't actually like Bjork's music even though I had convinced myself I did due to - what this thread displays - the way people talk about her. Obviously I can appreciate and respect the people who do enjoy her music, and I've read every post and listened to all recommendations in the process with an open mind. :chick1:

10 minutes ago, Robyn. said:

Between the people who think experimental is synonymous with great and the ones implying you have to be on drugs to enjoy her music

Bjork fan checklist:
Try her music on shrooms!

Not everyone is smart enough to understand experimental music!

Just say you like Kim Petras and GO!

I'd say it's been eye opening...but well - refer back to OP.

tumblr_inline_pki5s9g2bY1qck80v_400.gifv

25 minutes ago, Robyn. said:

Lol so you're ignoring the multiple other posts with actual arguments.

Sucks? totally!

47 minutes ago, Robyn. said:

You should try it sometime!

On 6/15/2022 at 4:22 AM, ElleDriver said:

:rip: You stan lady gaga, I wouldn't expect you to understand actually inspired and original artists

:clap3:

6 hours ago, Same Ol' Mistakes said:

How does this thread have ******* 300 posts :deadbanana4:

its giving Scandinavia

On 6/15/2022 at 4:06 PM, Protocol said:

Music can be more than Charlie Puth, do your ears a favour

does my musical taste affect you in any way?  No, thats what i thought

9 hours ago, Haze said:

When i had a break down and stayed at the mental hospital it was her music that was a lifeline to me, precisely because of its irregularity. Sometimes in life you don't need a 'pretty' song, but a transformative one, and Björk's musical world is a place where my most painful and most beautiful emotions and experiences found a home. Her music has to click, but once it does and you enter her songs, you don't come out of it the same way, something has altered. Vulnicura felt like my own heart bleeding and singing, (with all the ugliness that comes with pain), and when I first played Arisen My Senses on Utopia, it felt like I was coming back alive with her. A tough sonic landscape is sometimes exactly what life demands. My most played artist is Kylie Minogue, because when I study, work out or just chill, i like a preppy pop song, something that is designed to make you feel good. But when i'm in bed and feeling lost, I listen to Björk. Both are essential.

Beautiful, thank you for sharing this. The art of sound is an amazing thing.

Well, she's such a polarizing artist, see the mess she's making between all these conformist white twinks :alexz2:

She's one of the most creative artists that have ever stepped on earth. And of course her music is not for everyone, it's called a niche artist. 

Her stans saying it took drugs or them going into mental hospitals to be able to start enjoying her music..... :deadvision:

35 minutes ago, ElectricFrancis said:

Well, she's such a polarizing artist, see the mess she's making between all these conformist white twinks :alexz2:

She's one of the most creative artists that have ever stepped on earth. And of course her music is not for everyone, it's called a niche artist. 

why do some keep bring white/race into this? if anything its whites who make up most of her fan base :gaycat6:

3 minutes ago, monstereo said:

Her stans saying it took drugs or them going into mental hospitals to be able to start enjoying her music..... :deadvision:

there're like 5 posts like that out of the 151 fans that voted no :smiley:

i do think bjork is a genius actually and i thoroughly enjoy her music (and yes, i do it without mushrooms)

i also get that you dislike bjork and you are 100% entitled to your own opinion, but trying to discredit the masterpieces she has made is where it gets awk for me

many of her lyrics are very deep and in fact vulnicura, which is my favorite album, tackles so many issues and the songs are so raw, and dont even get me started on the visual part. the woman literally had an exposition travel around the world in museums to fully immerse people on the songs and its meanings

even my least fave bjork album, medulla, has an incredible concept of not using any instrument besides voices (her own and from other people) 

also about the influence part, MANY artists have said they have been influenced by bjork like frank ocean, kanye west, sza, elton john, rosalia, hayley williams, ellie goulding, lizzo, charli xcx, amy lee, m.i.a, hikaru utada, missy elliott, fka twigs, madonna, xtina, arca, solange, kelela, katy perry, sia, diplo, steve aoki, melanie martinez, poppy, aurora, florence welch, mitski, phoebe bridgers, jay z, halsey, and the list goes on and on and on and on. like these people have literally SAID bjork inspired them, you dont even have to look for the inspirations cause they already told you it happened, how can you say she was not that influential?

If you think this piece of music "sUcKs", then you're ****** up in the head. 

Eh, well my first boyfriend that gets high all the time and is the BIGGEST music snob ever was/is a huge fan of her. I do feel like she's one of those artists that you have to be on something to enjoy because I just don't get the appeal.  :michael:

i tried listening to some of her top played songs but.... it was terrible, i couldn't finish any of the songs it was SO bad

On 6/16/2022 at 3:09 AM, JoeAg said:

you’re very fear of missing out? i’m confused lol

Fear of missing out on new music.

Edited by Eric.

On 6/15/2022 at 5:57 AM, fauxtography said:

I've been sitting on this thread for a bit, mainly out of fear of offending the north west gays with mustaches, but I don't think I can refrain from opening this can of worms.

The album is like an hour of no melody, bjork grunts, and nintendo wii music. Is there someone out there who actually enjoys 5 years? My nephew, a toddler, has a 3 note plastic keyboard that makes better songs than this.

IM SCREAMING at these

OT : her music is horrible, unenjoyable and weird

Never liked any of her songs nor her personality 

8 hours ago, monstereo said:

this

i mean, why do u have to put yourself into such positions to be able to enjoy a piece of art ?

seek help 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.