Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022)

Blood Magic

On 5/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, boys said:

I don't understand the criticism of "How did we go from Wanda at the end of Wandavision to this?" Did yall not see what she was doing at the end?

Agreed. 

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorjesspazze9

• Hephaestus

• Ampersand13

• Broken

I want her future to be linked to Wiccan and Speed but specially Wiccan. She can stay in the grey area as a character, i love that concept. They can even introduce Magneto as her father since they hinted that she had powers before the stone thing :mandown:

Watched this yesterday. Such a creative movie. I loved how crazy some of the scenes were. Whoever designed them was definitely on something strong. 

Honestly I loved the movie. I knew immediately after it was going to be a love it or hate it film but I had a great time. Is it perfect? No. But Wanda slayed (literally) and that’s my momma. 

I loved this movie. It was fresh and Wanda and Dr strange are my favorite characters. They served and delivered. Sam did fantastic at directing

Wanda made a GREAT villain. 

SPOILER!

I was hoping for a Dark Phoenix vs Scarlett Witch showdown the moment she went after Professor-X.

57 minutes ago, Zoe_ said:

Wanda made a GREAT villain. 

SPOILER!

I was hoping for a Dark Phoenix vs Scarlett Witch showdown the moment she went after Professor-X.

sis.....

use the actual spoiler tag :deadbanana2:

5 hours ago, Donquizote said:

I dont understand the acclaim Olsen has been receiving as Wanda in this movie :rip: I thought her performance was at God-tier level like Phoenix or Ledger before watching this movie. Disappointed to find out She was ok and sometimes cringy :rip: . Goodluck booking that Oscar you speak of. 

She was truly the saving grace of the film :rip: She elevated the project and took the character seriously and had to work with a really bad script. 

8 minutes ago, azii said:

She was truly the saving grace of the film :rip: She elevated the project and took the character seriously and had to work with a really bad script. 

The way critics hyped her for Oscar nomination made me expect she would have performance like Ledger/Phoenix :rip:Disappointed that her performance was not that excellent :toofunny2:

I am literally dying to go see this. I wanna be better :sosad: 

8 minutes ago, Donquizote said:

The way critics hyped her for Oscar nomination made me expect she would have performance like Ledger/Phoenix :rip:Disappointed that her performance was not that excellent :toofunny2:

I don't agree with that comparison because the other two films were more sophisticated. But talking about MCU, this is definitely the best performance of the franchise. 

Elizabeth need to get out after her solo project :rip: She is too good to be working with these awful materials

It had some really cringe dialogue (I absolutely dread Marvel "humor") but I liked the plot and it was very fun overall which is all I really need from the MCU :rip:

The magic and subtle horror aspects really elevate the franchise and I hope to see more films with that tone. I found that the movie especially picked up halfway through and became even more bonkers - it really worked for me!

Zombie strange with his cape of ghouls is instantly ICONIC imagery for me :jonny:

• ATRL Moderator
6 minutes ago, lovecatt said:

this is camp

It takes itself too seriously to be camp though. I think had the film really given into the quirkiness and fundamentally abstract ideas it could've been a masterful camp romp but it tries to walk the line between truly serious notions of morality and peculiar convolutions and unfortunately I don't think it does either that well. Not horrible by any means but underbaked I fear

I read the spoilers because there was one thing that I didn't want to see in the movie, and yet it did happen :toofunny3:

Spoiler

I'm talking about Wanda getting the part of the villain. They really ****** up the writing of her character, didn't they? :doc:

Honestly I don't even know if I want to see it at this point. 

Edited by Pepo

54 minutes ago, Ampersand13 said:

It takes itself too seriously to be camp though. I think had the film really given into the quirkiness and fundamentally abstract ideas it could've been a masterful camp romp

There's literally a battle scene where they fight with MUSIC

On 5/6/2022 at 3:03 PM, boys said:

I don't understand the criticism of "How did we go from Wanda at the end of Wandavision to this?" Did yall not see what she was doing at the end?

Exactly. People missed that after credits scene. It's the only explanation :deadbanana4:

Like ..we already knew where we were going.

About Wanda:

Spoiler

Let's just say it... she's the most powerful super hero. Either her or Hulk. Like...no one managed to beat her. She even defeated the Illuminati in 10 minutes and she wasn't even in the room. She was using someone else :dies:

1 hour ago, Ampersand13 said:

It takes itself too seriously to be camp though. I think had the film really given into the quirkiness and fundamentally abstract ideas it could've been a masterful camp romp but it tries to walk the line between truly serious notions of morality and peculiar convolutions and unfortunately I don't think it does either that well. Not horrible by any means but underbaked I fear

this movie is pure camp lol maybe you took the film too seriously? 

• ATRL Moderator
46 minutes ago, nathanspears said:

Reveal hidden contents

There's literally a battle scene where they fight with MUSIC

But it was all played in a serious one-note fashion. If you want to know a film that expertly makes use of the genre's iconography I suggest Rocky Horror that's pure camp, Dr. Strange is not. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but camp has a longstanding history of conventions that this film didn't meet or make use of. Sure the scene you mentioned could be considered camp (though I personally don't think it is) but that's one scene in a two hour movie that is very much grounded in real internal conflicts ('are you happy' and motherhood being the main ones) neither of which were answered or explored through the lens of camp

• ATRL Moderator
12 minutes ago, Mystic Warrior said:

I don't think I did, the film is not camp. I'll concede that there were elements of camp but camp by definition is brechtien, it's meant to comment on itself and its absurdity. This film does not do that, nor does it necessarily need to. I'm not saying this film was underbaked because it lacked camp, I'm just saying those comments regarding its genre are misguided. 

• ATRL Moderator

This is a great read for anyone who wants to familiarize themselves with the genre of camp, as I don't think I'm explaining myself well enough: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjHhIq4ss73AhW3tYQIHbMnDckQFnoECBAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmonoskop.org%2Fimages%2F5%2F59%2FSontag_Susan_1964_Notes_on_Camp.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0E2NMxR4DNPmSG5CaLUAFr

I had to study camp in film school, and absolutely adore the genre. I'm not saying I know more than any other person on this site, I'm just trying to explain through the definition of camp why I don't consider this film to be it. Again, not a bad thing, just an opinion.

Just came back from my second showing and it was even better the second time. My theater was dead though. No one was reacting :skull: 

2 hours ago, Mystic Warrior said:

you can't be serious :deadbanana2:

2 hours ago, Mystic Warrior said:

:bibliahh:

It’s not a bad movie but at the same time it feels underwhelming. 

Spoiler

Wanda going “full evil” is not well explored. Yes we knew it was gonna happen after the ending of WandaVision but her going down that path off camera and just explaining it by exposition “she’s possessed by the book” is very bad writing. We had a whole arc of her realizing her ways were wrong in the series just to have her being batshit crazy again.

Also, it was super underwhelming that we never had a Dr  Strange vs Wanda fight. I mean Strange vs Thanos was one of the highlights of Infinity War.

The whole Multiverse concept felt very underbaked. They called it Multiverse of Madness when it felt more like Multiverse 101 lmao

As for the cameos, I couldn’t care less. It’s always just fan service. I won’t lie I loved so much Wanda killing the Illuminati. They were all annoying af.

Enjoyable movie? Yes. Underwhelming? Very.

Hopefully Queen Charlize can save the third entry  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.