Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
The New Releases 💿

The J-Pop Discussion Thread

Featured Replies

  • Replies 2.9k
  • Views 84.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • A big hank you to everyone who participated and joined the reveals! The second part of the rate was always going to be an uphill battle, and I wonder if something else could've been done to encourage

  • BEST OF 2025 (mini-rate) It's 2025. I believe we haven't done the best of j-pop since... 2015, so it's been a decade. In some way, it's symbolic, as the 'diva' era ended around that time, too. While

  • The Kumi Koda Singles Rate, Pt. 2 ~Budget Edition~   After rating what many consider to be Kumiko's better part of her career, we're entering the 10s, which started off well but some c

I liked the nostalgic sound, very 80s, but this is a good placement for it

6. Nina Utashiro - mood:bored

itd1436078.png

Average: 7.32

Highest score: illia, Suilen, California (10)

Lowest score: conatus (2.5)

Nina Utashiro used to be an underground rapper just minding her business... until a certain someone decided to rip her off. Chanmina's domination when it comes to j-rap has been mentioned a lot. All those ******* are her sons, that stuff. And there's no Cardi to humble her. Not everyone is satisfied with the status quo, though. NENE, who is herself semi-underground, decided to come for Chanmina and SKY-HI, vexed by HANA's success (yeah, everything revolves around those girls). Here are her diss tracks for those who are interested: OWARI and HAJIMARI. I have to admit that she might've made some points, but there's one important thing to highlight here: she pilfered from Nina in the process, probably thinking that nobody would notice. Unfortunately for her, Nina was keeping tabs and dropped two diss tracks: a poppy one that doesn't name names and a proper diss track, which we had to rate. It was an event, with a lot of locals tuning in to watch NENE's evisceration. I believe NENE's biggest sin was hypocrisy (it's not like people knew who she was prior to the disses either), her failure to practise what she was preaching. Although Nina got tons of hype, it didn't quite translate into interest for her subsequent releases. I suppose she's underground for a reason.

Curaga: Not really my style, but I have to give extra for the hilarious lyrics

mathekr: i thought it was fun, i like the beat so... yeah

illia: No idea what/who she's talking about but she tore. PVSSY'S CAT FOOOOOOOOOOD

conatus: First half feels like it's missing something in the production and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. The German jumped out on the second half (derogatory).

Kyle-x: First half was nice, she wasn't really selling me the second half though.

5. Ringo Sheena - 実験中 (In the Middle of an Experiment)

jikkenchu_cover01.jpg

Average: 7.36

Highest score: AMIT, mathekr, California (10)

Lowest score: Kyle-x (4)

After dropping Sandokushi's sister album in 2024, miss Ringo didn't slow down. She dropped 芒に月, a tie-up, albeit a high profile one, and it was promptly followed by 実験中 and 白日のもと (also tie-ups, what can one do, she prefers her bag full). I thought both singles were fine, though the latter seemed more interesting and in line with what I want from her musically. It appears that her next course of action is another Ukina, so let's see how that will pan out.

mathekr: peak ringo. chef's kiss

conatus: Kind of fun. Never been sold on Sheena from what I've heard but maybe this being one of the better songs here is a sign to finally do a discography dive.

Kyle-x: A bit meh!

Do you think Ringo jumped for joy when that lady was elected?

1 minute ago, Ghibli said:

Do you think Ringo jumped for joy when that lady was elected?

I thought 実験中 was a little safe for her, but even reheated Sheena nachos are still good

4. f5ve - Magic Clock

artworks-uzakun2cutv8-0-t500x500.jpg

Average: 7.80

Highest score: Graves (10)

Lowest score: Suilen (5.5)

A Bloodpop project with a rocky history. First Happiness (ew), then a Sailor Moon project (great idea with bad music), and now as f5ve. Am I completely sold on the girls? Not really. They are essentially this generation's baby's first j-pop group, and I doubt that people are going to check out the j-pop greats after them. Still, I do think that they have some nice tunes, it's just that Magic Clock isn't one of those (Why did I include it then? Well, it was technically their biggest single this year. I can't just include a random album track).

Curaga: That's my magic cock! :wap:

conatus: Not entirely convinced by f5ve, but this gets a foot tap out of me.

Kyle-x: Very cute!

Whoa, I thought Magic Clock was going to take it! eek idk what will win now.

Kyary is much higher than I expected.

This kinda being their weakest single sorry

Fire Truck doesn't count I can't believe they sneaked that on the album (It's LDH, I actually can)

3. Hikaru Utada - Mine or Yours

ab67616d0000b273baed2c83b1537985bce7c788.jpg

Average: 8.00

Highest score: Curaga, Graves, conatus (10)

Lowest score: AMIT (2)

Utada's first release after dropping a million Electricity remixes, potentially the first taste of the upcoming album. At first, I wrote it off as a coffee shop song, although the line about the archaic surname law was a gag. We need that Sanae Takaichi diss track next (those approval numbers are concerning, so it could backfire). After revisiting it for the rate, it suddenly hit. Maybe it's the winter blues, but I was sold. Utada remains an ambitious artist, and some could use that, too.

Curaga: Looooove this so much. The melody has such a satisfying and comforting vibe.

conatus: An oasis in the desert. Hikki's voice only gets better with age, huh?

Kyle-x: A bit of a vibe innit?

Not Fadry taking it.

I only have 2/3 of my 9s left (I gave Utada an 8) so I kinda won I guess!

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.