Relief is coming! Work is being done to address the recent server issues. ×

Normani

URBAN

Anyways, to get back to an actual interesting discussion:

8 hours ago, Flare said:

I do wonder where Normani’s career would be if she kept doing pop, therefore her demand was up and she got lots of feature opportunities (like Dua, Chainsmokers, and others) along with brand deals in that space. Since she’s gone full r&b with Wild Side and Fair, it’s only been mess upon mess.

I honestly think If It Ain't Me with Dua will forever be the biggest "what if" of her career. Had that collab not gotten scrapped, I think it would have replaced We're Good as the single from the deluxe version of Future Nostalgia and I think it would have done better than We're Good (not just because of the collab aspect, but also because it's the better song with or without Normani). She then probably would have gone full steam ahead on a pop-leaning path.

In general, I'll always wonder what exactly happened that led to her sudden shift from mostly releasing pop-leaning stuff with a bit of catchy R&B thrown in (i.e. Waves) to going full-on R&B from Wild Side onwards. I'm not sure if I'll ever fully buy that the shift was 100% because of this being the music she always wanted to make all along - she did too many interviews before then where she talked about not wanting to get boxed in as a black woman in music and how she wishes more black women could be full-on pop stars. She definitely seems to like the pure R&B music she's been making, so I don't think a gun was put to her head to switch directions, but I think label politics played a much bigger role in that shift than some people seem to think.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• popularmoonlight

• AFullMoonlight

• Flare

• nooniebao

A safe place to support Normani or a safe place to **** on her? 

I cant tell. I think fans have helped create a negative narrative. Without fans people wouldn’t know or care about any of these negative Normani memes.

1 hour ago, shelven said:

Hi babes! Wasn't planning on acknowledging any of your posts since I put you on my ignore list after you single-handedly ruined the Wild Side thread, but now that you've finally decided to muster up the courage to mention me by name instead of indirectly post about me 4 times in a row, I figured I'd respond :heart: Nothing in my mind has changed since I expressed my disappointment with her after the CB video dropped. In fact, I was very clear at the time that I wasn't planning on unstanning her and that I would stick around! When I said I was going to get some distance, I meant that I needed to do my own self-reflection and step back from how much I was getting emotionally affected by her career missteps and learn not to care as much - which, fun fact, I clarified at the time as well!

Anyways, since you seem so invested in checking up on me, you'll be happy to know that that's worked well for me. I'm definitely taking a more relaxed, passive approach to her career now, and my posts in here over the last few weeks have just been to further some discussion and get a few kii's in about how nothing is happening. I understand that anything you perceive as even the slightest negativity towards her sets you off (hey, remember that time I casually said she should post more casual, candid Instagram photos like Lauren and you randomly had a meltdown accusing me of being a fake stan who secretly only likes Lauren?), but maybe you should learn to be a little less concerned about what others are posting for the sake of your own mental health:flower: 

You've made it very clear over literal years that you don't agree with the way I discuss her, so continuing to obsess over my posts is starting to feel a bit redundant. Let's all just stay in our own lanes and let the focus of this thread be Normani and not ATRL users we have problems with. Should be better for everyone that way :party:  

SCREAMING, NOT THE OG STANS IN A FIGHT. We should all take it out on Bently.

1 hour ago, shelven said:

I honestly think If It Ain't Me with Dua will forever be the biggest "what if" of her career. Had that collab not gotten scrapped, I think it would have replaced We're Good as the single from the deluxe version of Future Nostalgia and I think it would have done better than We're Good (not just because of the collab aspect, but also because it's the better song with or without Normani). She then probably would have gone full steam ahead on a pop-leaning path.

In general, I'll always wonder what exactly happened that led to her sudden shift from mostly releasing pop-leaning stuff with a bit of catchy R&B thrown in (i.e. Waves) to going full-on R&B from Wild Side onwards. I'm not sure if I'll ever fully buy that the shift was 100% because of this being the music she always wanted to make all along - she did too many interviews before then where she talked about not wanting to get boxed in as a black woman in music and how she wishes more black women could be full-on pop stars. She definitely seems to like the pure R&B music she's been making, so I don't think a gun was put to her head to switch directions, but I think label politics played a much bigger role in that shift than some people seem to think.

With the way everybody says Dua is a better performer now I really think that was supposed to be the single that cemented Dua's stage presence with Normani.

1 hour ago, Topaz said:

We should all take it out on Bently.

Period.

If you have not said a single positive thing about Normani in the past 30 pages, then ask yourself why you're still obsessed with her atp. And if the shoe doesn't fit you, then I'm not talking about you. Some people are complaining like they get paid for it. God forbid somebody "ruin" that.

I think if anyone talks about Normani in only negative terms, then it is best to follow through with the distance that they promised. Nobody is forcing you to keep tabs on someone who makes you this unhappy.

"Fans" need to realize that they are fueling the negativity. I'm guilty too but some of you will not stop.

Edited by cliche_display

This thread is always a kii, the way a bunch of members are STILL pretending everything is ok and get mad when someone mentions how her non existing career is a total joke always sends me.

7 hours ago, cliche_display said:

A safe place to support Normani or a safe place to **** on her? 

I cant tell. I think fans have helped create a negative narrative. Without fans people wouldn’t know or care about any of these negative Normani memes.

5 hours ago, cliche_display said:

Period.

If you have not said a single positive thing about Normani in the past 30 pages, then ask yourself why you're still obsessed with her atp. And if the shoe doesn't fit you, then I'm not talking about you. Some people are complaining like they get paid for it. God forbid somebody "ruin" that.

I think if anyone talks about Normani in only negative terms, then it is best to follow through with the distance that they promised. Nobody is forcing you to keep tabs on someone who makes you this unhappy.

"Fans" need to realize that they are fueling the negativity. I'm guilty too but some of you will not stop.

20 hours ago, cliche_display said:

One of the tricks some of you use is calling any opinion you disagree with trolling. I think it could be considered trolling to start a thread on an artist and then fill it with negativity and call anyone who questions that a troll. 

Always playing Karen on this site 

On 7/7/2022 at 8:45 PM, cliche_display said:

Lmao Some of y’all are fake. You claim you want “distance” after the hot CB cameo. She gives extreme distance and you come right back in here complaining every day.

One thing you cant deny is that that chokehold is amazing. We all know. 

On 7/8/2022 at 3:36 AM, cliche_display said:

They're already back and Candy Paint hasn't dropped yet. Mind you these are the same ones that said they needed distance after she danced in a video. :deadbanana4: Literally nothing has happened since then.

Miss girl if you don't shut the *** up and stop acting all self-righteous up in this thread. You are so incredibly insufferable :deadbanana2: 

On 7/7/2022 at 10:37 PM, cliche_display said:

Maybe they could have played *checks notes* ...Fair ...or God forbid... Don't They Remix if radio wasn't a known pay-for-play platform. Oh well.

Clock that! They love to act like they play anything besides the same few songs on repeat.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:40 PM, cliche_display said:

Something about Camila trying to swoop in on Normani while Normani's online brand is in suffering is giving me the creeps. If I were Normani, I would not trust that woman.

Idk I feel like they’re actually pretty close/friendly :swim: at least more than a lot of people want to admit 

8 hours ago, shelven said:

:jonny5:You’re right. Normani being on FN changes the conversation significantly and I find it hard to imagine RCA wouldn’t have rushed a project out to follow (not sure why they didn’t do this with #1 radio hit Wild Side but I digress). If it’s actually true that Tunji/her team blocked IIAM because it was too pop then good riddance. 

She really did keep saying in interviews for a while that she was unapologetically a Black pop star so it’s confusing she sort of pivoted from that? I think she sounds better/more interesting on R&B leaning records but her voice is great for a pop hook to me.

I think that RCA plays a huge part in the shift from Pop to R&B - and what makes that clear is because of Tinashe. She also kept switching genres and it hurt her. Probably because RCA didn’t really know what to do with her - as we can see she’s a much better artist independently nowadays. They just lucky with Doja. We do know the “industry” was very supportive of her while she was doing pop and things seemed to be going in the right direction at that time. Who knows what happened. Normani has one of the most mysterious careers ever.

1 hour ago, popularmoonlight said:

I think that RCA plays a huge part in the shift from Pop to R&B - and what makes that clear is because of Tinashe. She also kept switching genres and it hurt her. Probably because RCA didn’t really know what to do with her - as we can see she’s a much better artist independently nowadays. They just lucky with Doja. We do know the “industry” was very supportive of her while she was doing pop and things seemed to be going in the right direction at that time. Who knows what happened. Normani has one of the most mysterious careers ever.

Because she NEVER talks to us and when she does is just a "???:deadbanana2:. Anyway, this thread is always a ride.

Y’all know what’s funny? We can’t even call her an IG model because she doesn’t post on instagram and she also doesn’t model anymore 

"Wild Side" 1-year anniversary in only one week

Still no music video for "Fair"

Zero official news about a new single, video, album or tour

The fact that they let a Cardi feature, mega budget video, Platinum, Top 10 urban/rhythmic radio hit go to waste without launching anything off its back

disappointed-laugh.gif

27 minutes ago, Protocol said:

The fact that they let a Cardi feature, mega budget video, Platinum, Top 10 urban/rhythmic radio hit go to waste without launching anything off its back

disappointed-laugh.gif

They did the same thing with Motivation why are you surprised? :coffee2:

I always wanted Normani to make pop music. I don’t care for her R&B music really. She alienated most of her fanbase 

5 hours ago, orange22 said:

Clock that! They love to act like they play anything besides the same few songs on repeat.

Yep. Truly a self-drag on the hegemony of radio playlists. 

7 hours ago, wildsidenormani said:

Miss girl if you don't shut the *** up and stop acting all self-righteous up in this thread. You are so incredibly insufferable :deadbanana2: 

There are clearly important aspects of Normani’s journey that are not under her control.  No one wants to see the same 1 or 2 people running negative talking points about Normani's career into the ground. Nothing new is being divulged. Make this the last time you disrespect me mr. mans.

Edited by cliche_display

1 hour ago, Protocol said:

disappointed-laugh.gif

Wild Side was truly that ***** 

disappointed-laugh.gif

35 minutes ago, New Agenda said:

I always wanted Normani to make pop music. I don’t care for her R&B music really. She alienated most of her fanbase 

Seeing your pfp reminded me how excited I was the first time I saw the Motivation cover art and video. I remember feeling like a star had been born. Feels like forever ago now.

I also was one of those people that wanted pop music but after I supported anyway. Now it feels pointless regardless of where you fall on that spectrum bc no one is winning

26 minutes ago, New Agenda said:

I agree and disagree. The undeniable hits have been carried by pop radio and/or popular playlisting dating back to 5H. Love Lies, Motivation, DWAS, WFH, WI

Yet they’ve all had bigger names attached from Max Martin to Fifth Harmony 

Wild Side sort of broke from that, but maybe simply because Cardi B was big enough to avoid the pigeonhole a lot of urban music falls into. (At least on Spotify where WS got TTH placement).

Other than that, Normani has not established herself enough solo with any audience to say she’s alienated anyone.

She’s been the cherry on top of some huge duets that introduced as a solo performer to the mainstream. 

Outside of that, I think limited output may be more limiting than genre. 

2 hours ago, Protocol said:

disappointed-laugh.gif

It still sounds fresh I’ll give her that. I will say it was always the kind of song where I wanted to hear it in the context of the album it came from but…y’all know.

At this point why don’t we just go for a new lead single? Maybe record another whole project to sit on Miss Thing’s hard drive, why not?

disappointed-laugh.gif

Edited by orange22

2 hours ago, cliche_display said:

Make this the last time you disrespect me mr. mans.

Edited 1 hour ago by cliche_display

417tcniu

Or what? This is ATRL honey. :deadbanana2: Not you exhibiting Karen behaviour. You're not important here at all and nobody cares if you feel disrespected. 

Not me getting you so riled up you DM me about how I 'attacked you with curse words and personal insults' I'm actually screaming :laugh: 

Everybody can feel however they want about Normani and it's okay if that changes; if Shelven says they want space but then switches up why does that matter to YOU? 

Those of y'all who haven't heard Candy Paint are really on the brink of madness. August needs to get here quicker :rip:

I truly feel if Normani is staying R&B, she can be like SZA. Pop on the features, R&B on her solo music. 

I seriously don’t see why she can’t occupy multiple lanes. But this is all dumb conversation because RCA is holding Normani back.

No matter what was going on, they should be forcing her to drop until something catches on. Tinashe at least got that opportunity. Normani getting the one proper single per year treatment when it should be one ALBUM per year at this point. She needs to get on her old school Rihanna sh-t. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.