• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ughgabriel

• Kavish

• Dessy

• Overprotected

my thoughts, round 2

046109176a086f4c4f3746ac449d45241dbe615ace84f4b5eb70e80010d7bcee06ebf359033a9683

LISA IS COMING

Whitney Houston - Heartbreak Hotel - cute, not her best but i do love listening to her.

Britney Spears - Piece of Me - iconic.

Rihanna - Work - an amazing bop!

Ciara - Oh - oh... i'm a Ciara fan but this is definitely one of her weakest singles imo.

The Weeknd - Starboy - not bad for a man! but it's not one of my faves by him uwu. but it's pretty good!!

Young Money - BedRock - absolute trash.

Nicki Minaj - Starships - she's a terrible human but i do still like this song a lot.

Mariah Carey - Loverboy - not a fan.

Leona Lewis - Happy - i adore her and this is a very cute song. gorgeous vocals.

Katy Perry - Wide Awake - a great song.

Beyoncé - Baby Boy - parts of it i enjoy a lot.

Missy Elliot - Work It - bop but i'm kinda over it...

Madonna - Ray Of Light - never been a favorite of mine by her but it's ok.

Kelis - Milkshake - iconic af!

Sixpence None the Richer - Kiss Me - ????

Billie Eilish - Therefore I Am - niceee.

Justin Timberlake - Mirrors - too long but it's nice.

Kanye West - Heartless - hate him.

Taylor Swift - Love Story - a cultural reset :jonny2: beautiful storytelling and hasn’t aged a bit (I kind of like the new version a bit more tho)

Brandy - Top Of The World - really enjoyed everything about this :jamming:

P!nk - Get the Party Started - why send her again after she got eliminated last round :thing: it doesn’t really go anywhere and is a bit monotone and boring

TLC - Baby Baby Baby - it’s no waterfalls or no scrubs but it’s not terrible :chick1: just a little bit of a snooze

The Go Go’s - We Got the Beat - it’s ok in like a 80s teen movie soundtrack way but not good on its own

TLC - Red Light Special - hot :gaynetcat4:

Mariah Carey - Shake It Off - really love this song :katie2:

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off - a f*cking BOPP :WAP: always takes me back to 2014

Christina Millan - Dip It Low - really liked this :katie2:

Janet Jackson - Let’s Wait Awhile - very dreamy and nice to listen to

WILLOW - Whip My Hair - very obnoxious :monkey: I’m glad that willow has evolved and grown into a really talented artist since this!

Bastille - Pompeii - a classic idc what anyone else says :hippo:

Sophie Ellis Bextor - Take Me Home - a lot going on here and I’m not sure I like any of it :thing:

ABBA - I Have A Dream - I like ABBA but this was a bit of a snooze :chick3: not incredibly offensive tho

Madonna - Hollywood - did not enjoy this 

Fifth Harmony - Work from Home - a classic bop :katie2:

Taylor Swift - Today Was A Fairytale - forgot that I kind of like this :allears:probably one of her corniest songs and has aged poorly but it’s cute

3 hours ago, Kavish said:

When all the songs are praised and you don't know if you'll rank high or low on their list.

Group B problems.

xKg8pEv.gif

:jonny: It was hard ranking the #3-#12 songs, pretty much random order tbh

Nice to see mostly good praise from the judges so far, especially Moking :worship:

Pero the lack of hype towards some of the served R&B greatness is questionable

727778280_emmaroberts.thumb.gif.b07d7fb0

Whitney Houston - Heartbreak Hotel: she’s lovely

Britney Spears - Piece of Me: brilliant, show stopping, etc

Rihanna - Work: kind of overplayed but I still enjoy

Ciara - Oh: fire the sound engineer

The Weeknd - Starboy: she’s a cute girl

Young Money - BedRock: unique choice, um it’s definitely a hot but not something I’d listen to on my own

Nicki Minaj - Starships: aged like milk sorry

Mariah Carey - Loverboy: this is busy as **** but actually I really like it

Leona Lewis - Happy: why though lol

Katy Perry - Wide Awake: not one of her best but it’s ok

Beyoncé - Baby Boy: obviously great!

Missy Elliot - Work It: gnos yradnegel a s’ti

Madonna - Ray Of Light: don’t like her and this song is annoying sorry

Kelis - Milkshake: a classic but outside of meme factor it could be a bit better

Sixpence None the Richer - Kiss Me: oh it’s this, it’s cute ig

Billie Eilish - Therefore I Am: think she is great but this song is turrible

Justin Timberlake - Mirrors: eh definitely doesn’t need to be so long

Kanye West - Heartless: a gorgeous classic

I hope Kiss Me wins Group 2 :heart: I really love it. I would've sent if it wasn't taken when I submitted it :gaygacat5:

ROTUNDA'S CRITIQUES 

LOVE STORY 

This isn't one of those "nostalgic classics" for me, but it is a very good song that holds up very well imo. 

TOP OF THE WORLD 

I must admit that I have very limited exposure to Brandy's music, but this track is great. 

GET THE PARTY STARTED

As one of the few P!nk supporters in the Games Section, I wish I could help you out more here, but honestly this isn't really a P!nk song that I have a lot of attachment to. The song is solid enough and is a 00s party staple, but I've never really had an urge to play the track. 

BABY-BABY-BABY

This song is solid, and the beat is good, but it definitely goes on for too long.

WE GOT THE BEAT 

This song reminds me of Jimmy Neutron, which is really the most positive thing I have to say about it. 

RED LIGHT SPECIAL

A baby maker! 

SHAKE IT OFF (Mariah's Version)

I used to think this song was nothing special, but it's really grown on me in recent years

SHAKE IT OFF (Taylor's Version)

This is such a guilty pleasure bop to me. It's fantastic idc. 

DIP IT LOW 

Pin on Funny/ Relatable

LET'S WAIT AWHILE 

I had a mixed opinion after my first listen, but the second listen really hit me. It's a really beautiful song. 

WHIP MY HAIR 

I hated this song when it first came out, but it's shockingly good??

POMPEII 

The chorus is cute. 

TAKE ME HOME (A GIRL LIKE ME) 

I'm not sure if I like this version more or Cher's version. Regardless, this was an enjoyable listen. 

I HAVE A DREAM 

I like ABBA, but this isn't going to cut it for me here. 

HOLLYWOOD

Maybe it's the point, but this sounds so lifeless

WORK FROM HOME

This hasn't aged horribly at all, but it definitely doesn't hold up as I wish it did. 

TODAY WAS A FAIRYTALE 

Even for Taylor, this seems a little too cutesy and childish. 

Edited by Rotunda

Taylor Swift - Love Story - instant top 1 for me :1stplace:

Brandy - Top Of The World - fun bop

P!nk - Get the Party Started - classic!

TLC - Baby Baby Baby - the better TLC song among the 2 entries

The Go Go’s - We Got the Beat - it's okayyy

TLC - Red Light Special - too long for me 

Mariah Carey - Shake It Off - fabulous... for a throwback

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off - oh now we're talking about number 1 classics!!! :WAP:

Christina Millan - Dip It Low - another ok song

Janet Jackson - Let’s Wait Awhile - cute 

WILLOW - Whip My Hair - i was supposed to send this :priceless: lemme tank you for stealing this... kidding it's top 5 for sure

Bastille - Pompeii - love this song!

Sophie Ellis Bextor - Take Me Home - cute girl

ABBA - I Have A Dream - cute but i would not listen to this again

Madonna - Hollywood - this is good 

Fifth Harmony - Work from Home - just giving this points for nostalgia

Taylor Swift - Today Was A Fairytale - top 3 for me :3rdplace:

2AopB7c.png

Whitney Houston - Heartbreak Hotel: Not my go-to pick from Whitney since I prefer her dance-pop stuff but I kinda like this one anyway. 

Britney Spears - Piece of Me: The ultimate Britney song and my personal fave from her. Certain MPGs tried to replicate this and failed. 

Rihanna - Work: Could do without drake but this song has some of her best verses. Slightly iconic too. 

Ciara - Oh: The dogpiling this song received is a bit unnecessary. It's still a good early 00s hip hop throwback single. The one sentiment i'll agree on is it's not as good as goodies or 1,2 step but those weren't options so.. 

The Weeknd - Starboy: Whew, this was in my top 5 songs back in the 2016 days. I don't revisit it much anymore but I still appreciate it. 

Young Money - BedRock: The amount of quotables here :rip: I was obsessed with pop radio back in 2008/2009 and this kinda has some "nostalgia" in that regard. Not bad at all. 

Nicki Minaj - Starships: It's the D word and the breakdown has never been good. 

Mariah Carey - Loverboy: Messy and reflects how cheap her early 00s music was. 

Leona Lewis - Happy: Nope, not in this group. Better luck next time. 

Katy Perry - Wide Awake: One of her better songs. Deserved Part Of Me's success. 

Beyoncé - Baby Boy: Unpopular opinion but sean paul > bey here. It's an alright song but it doesn't do much for me so meh.  

Missy Elliot - Work It: Can't ever go wrong with her hits tbh. 

Madonna - Ray Of Light: Never cared that much for this song but at least it's not as overrated as Like A Prayer. 

Kelis - Milkshake: Really appreciate the Neptunes production over the years. Great single. 

Sixpence None the Richer - Kiss Me: Reminds me of early 00s teen movies. I definitely recognized this upon listen but it doesn't hold up here with the selection. 

Billie Eilish - Therefore I Am: It's kinda funny cuz I hate Billie's music but this song is actually not that bad! But similar to Happy, this won't do in this group. 

Justin Timberlake - Mirrors: Naw, this holds up tbh. All 8 minutes of it. Probably gonna in my top 3 since people do the most when it comes to male artists around here. 

Kanye West - Heartless: Jackpot. This is it. 

Whitney Houston - Heartbreak Hotel

She ate here

Britney Spears - Piece of Me

it’s a classic

Rihanna - Work

it’s a bop but it can get repetitive sometimes

Ciara - Oh

this is quite good but it’s a strong round and it’s not one of her strongest singles

The Weeknd - Starboy

it’s always bothered me that this song kinda goes nowhere

Young Money - BedRock

it’s fun but also a huge mess

Nicki Minaj - Starships

it’s crazy how bad this sounds now omfg

Mariah Carey - Loverboy

yasssssssss I prefer the remix to the original so I think you made a great choice and everyone else is deaf x

Leona Lewis - Happy

this is being overhated, I really like it

Katy Perry - Wide Awake

absolutely amazing song, it’s perfect

Beyoncé - Baby Boy

next

Missy Elliot - Work It

I still feel like to this day you can’t find another song that sounds like this, the innovation

Madonna - Ray Of Light

the fact that this isn’t even one of my faves on the album and it’s still top 5 in this round says something about her quality

Kelis - Milkshake

iconic bop, can be a bit repetitive at times I do agree with that

Sixpence None the Richer - Kiss Me

classic, and also a bit of a risk here, extra points for that

Billie Eilish - Therefore I Am

this gives me secondhand embarrassment, the blaccent :toofunny2:

Justin Timberlake - Mirrors

**** JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE PIECE OF ****

Kanye West - Heartless

at least it’s better than Love Lockdown but that’s not saying much :mazen:

• ATRL Moderator

GROUP B REVIEWS

I really liked the vibe of this!! The era of music between like 1998 and 2002 is just so entrancing and nostalgic to me, and I love discovering new (to me) songs from that time. I wish I was a bit older so I could have experienced it in real time. :chick3:

whew... a bop and a moment. blackout era was so good.

Rihanna - Work

Howwww is this 5 years old and we have no sign of any Rihanna album :deadbanana2:

Loved it in 2016, love it now

Ciara - Oh

Absolutely nothing about this captured my attention from a melodic perspective

The Weeknd - Starboy

absolutely!! loved this 5 years ago and it still hits hard. this whole album was great

Young Money - BedRock

This was definitely risky to send w this group. I didn't enjoy it too much.

Nicki Minaj - Starships

I loved this back when it was released. It still is fun honestly... I will say that if you had to throw the word "dated" around, it would prob apply to this song. this EDM era is very easy to identify date-wise

Mariah Carey - Loverboy

This was chaotic... sometimes i liked chaos in a song... but this was not enjoyable.

Leona Lewis - Happy

I used to stan this song for some reason?? I thought it was beautiful/anthemic, but everyone criticized it for being a snooze. Admittedly, the vocals/production on the chorus are a bit tough on the ears, but I still kind of like it.

Katy Perry - Wide Awake

Ugh this brings back such nostalgia. Still a beautiful song. Bring me back to TD era!!!

Beyoncé - Baby Boy

This song is a fantastic and consistent vibe from start to finish!

Missy Elliot - Work It

ABSOLUTE CLASSIC!!!

Madonna - Ray Of Light

kind of boring

Kelis - Milkshake

a fun listen all these years later mhm

god this brings me back to my childhood bc my mom had this on a CD. so feel good and so cute

i enjoy this song.... does it come across as a bit bland in comparison to some others here? yes. but i don't get why it's so hated tbh.

I think this song is really well produced and holds up after all these years. The last 3-4 minutes are a bit unnecessary.

Kanye West - Heartless

This man has become so annoying but this absolutely smashes still!!! I wish Kanye was still putting out songs like this and Stronger tbh

j2oaL4R.png

judgeho

GROUP A

Spoiler

Taylor Swift - Love Story

Soooo beautiful. This is a really nostalgic song for me because it was the time I first became a fan (13 years later…). Right away I admired the storytelling approach of the lyrics and how impactful that was for me. I actually adore and prefer Taylor’s  version because it gave it a bit of a refresh and flushed out elements. I’m assuming I have to consider the original version in which case it’s still good!

Brandy - Top of the World

This is also really nostalgic and reminds me of my childhood. I have three older siblings and older cousins that were kids/teens in the ‘90s so a lot of the music from that period, particularly R&B, shaped my own music taste. It’s crazy to me how much Brandy has shaped music for decades after, like I can EASILY see influences from this song being prominent in songs right now. Anyway this is super smooth and I love the verses...will place high from me.

P!nk - Get the Party Started

It’s not god awful like the last song so there’s that. I think it’s okay, it does have some cool punk influences but blends them nicely with dance pop. Will be middle for me

TLC - Baby Baby Baby

This is okay. I like the personality of their debut but it’s not hitting that hard so I can’t say much.

The Go-Gos - We Got The Beat

I’m sure old music fans will come for me but like.. No. I don’t like how ‘80s new wave has aged, it feels like something that would be really cool at the time but as pop culture moves, it blends into that time period and just doesn’t hold up.

TLC - Red Light Special

OPRAH!!! THis is a HUGE classic, it’s soooo good. The groove is right in all the right places, and their delivery. Adore this song, will be VERY high

Mariah Carey - Shake It Off

OPRAH [2]!!!! My favourite song of hers from the entire 2000s decade? Super fun, the lyrics skljfjs i love it. Yasss

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off

EXTREME OPRAH!!!!! This is probably my winner. So joyous, super catchy. She did what she had to do and ended up with an acclaimed SMASH. I love the horn sounds in the production, feels like 2014, but somehow this still feels fresh and enjoyable today. Old Navy has made some points today

Christina Milian - Dip It Low

it's a cool slinky pop-R&B track but the instrumental easily carries it

Janet Jackson - Let’s Wait Awhile

the sentiment of this song is sooo ‘80s but w/e it’s really cute. I like this song actually, a nice subdued moment. 

WILLOW - Whip My Hair

Wjwjjw yasss sprite. So addictive, hyperpop queen

Bastille - Pompeii

Alksjfls now what is this mess. Blends into the Imagine Dragons type alt-rock but with a twist!!!1 nonsense. Very awful, his voice annoys me

Sophie Ellis Bextor - Take Me Home

Okay this UK disco bop? I’m actually glad you sent something kind of different than what was expected and really utilized the UK chart for this. I’ll be rewarding that because this is also a fun discovery! I like her delivery a lot

ABBA - Have A Dream

I’m not an ABBA fan I’m sorry, this does nothing for me

Madonna - Hollywood

I like… the folksy elements/guitar? The sentiment is really simplistic and she kind of fails to say anything important despite carrying the song with an air of importance.

Fifth Harmony - Work From Home

They had their little moment here, but against most of these songs it’s in the middle. The monotone “work work work” was always fun though

Taylor Swift - Today Was a Fairytale

Noooo :feeling: i love 99% of her output but i’m so sorry… i just find this really uninteresting and juvenile but without the charm of it being from a young perspective. Like it just feels basic.

GROUP B

Spoiler

Nnnn this feels like the perfect song for an old soul going through it (so @clue?). Pretty smooth though.

cool track, nice chorus and production, don’t have much else to say LJFSDJ

Rihanna - Work

:WAP:!!!!!!!! This is what id try to send :wap: suchhhhh a classic, love the vibe so much, one of her best singles

Ciara - Oh

Won’t say no to a Luda feature but it is on the weaker side among her pretty strong singles. Still thing it’s a cool throwback moment tho

The Weeknd - Starboy

Up until this point I actually couldn’t stand The Weeknd. It was this song/era that made me pay attention. Still a bit of a classic I fear

Young Money - Bedrock

Wayyyy too much a product of its time. Problem with these ensemble tracks is everyone is at different levels fjfjjf so a few of them will drag it down!

Nicki Minaj - Starships

Bad part of nostalgia. The random chanting/”oh”s in the background as it gets more and more cluttered and noisy  :coma: sooo awful

Mariah Carey - Loverboy

Yassss I like the remix to this, it’s a different kind of messy. Like fun messy

Leona Lewis - Happy

This is like the “Brave” of this round. It’s kind of a mood killer

Katy Perry - Wide Awake

Honestly one of my favourite singles of hers. She does a solid midtempo well

Beyonce - Baby Boy

Nostalgic classic. A jam

Missy Elliott - Work It

Fun song tbh

Madonna - Ray of Light

THis is super AC’d at this point but it’s fun. The chorus is really explosive 

Kelis - Milkshake

This is such a classic jsfjlslf I always forget how fun it is

Christian pop classic.

Love this song but it’s a really tough round. Particularly love the subtle bits of vocal editing, especially towards the end.

Way too long and boring. It’s funny how a lot of his music is essentially just boyband music

but “dressed up” so people assume it’s better than it is.

Kanye West - Heartless

One of his coolest singles. Will do well from me

TAGS

pink just means I liked it a lot, a way of making at least some distinction bc I praised a lot

hope I  said good things besties

Group B

Spoiler

Whitney Houston - Heartbreak Hotel  - A classic Whitney song i like it

Britney Spears - Piece of Me - Britney did that with this

Rihanna - Work  - Not my fave Ri song from Anti but its a cute throwback

Ciara - Oh  - Cute R&B throwback

The Weeknd - Starboy  - a future classic

Young Money - BedRock - i almost forgot this existed but it was never bad 

Nicki Minaj - Starships  - its so funny how music from this time is so dated now

Mariah Carey - Loverboy  - A cute classic

Leona Lewis - Happy

Katy Perry - Wide Awake  - one of Katy's best songs

Beyoncé - Baby Boy  - The 2nd best song on her debut

Missy Elliot - Work It  - Phew I am so mad at you cause I wanted to pick this song

Madonna - Ray Of Light  -  A classic!

Kelis - Milkshake   - Another bop

Sixpence None the Richer - Kiss Me   - so much nostalgia around this one

Billie Eilish - Therefore I Am   - its cute

Justin Timberlake - Mirrors     - i almost chose this one but i realized ATRL hates men

Kanye West - Heartless    - one of Kanye's better songs

27 minutes ago, Insanity said:

Leona Lewis - Happy

https://i.imgur.com/i0D0U73.gif

5 minutes ago, mokitsu said:

lol did i forget to comment

3 minutes ago, Insanity said:

lol did i forget to comment

You tell me

16 hours ago, Mr. Duff said:

Definitely BOTTOM if not OUT :weeps:

Why am I in Group B ugh.

same

20 minutes ago, mokitsu said:

ive had a bad morning lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.