All Time Hot 100 Songwriters

Ash12345

1 hour ago, Witch Privilege said:

End of the Road is a classic! :clap3:

record breaking at the time with 13 weeks at #1 (thanks to Babyface too who's coming):clap3:

33% of that must be good :gaycat5:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ash12345

• Fitzswiftie

• JawBreaker

• Mr. Duff

77. John Fogerty

GTY_John_Fogerty_151002_DC_16x9_992.jpg

John Fogerty formed Creedence Clearwater Revival when he was in high school with older brother Tom and friends Doug Clifford and Stu Cook. They had a more blues influenced traditional rock & roll sound compared to the newer rock sub-genres that were developing at the time such as psychedelic rock. Their explosion in popularity was very sudden, with 6 hit albums released between 1969 and 1971, and five #2 hits in just two years. Infighting within the group lead to a very disappointing album in 1972 and the group breaking up. Creedence Clearwater Revival, along with The Allman Brothers Band helped keep the more traditional rock & roll sound alive, which developed into Southern Rock, a subgenre that includes bands such as Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top.

Most streamed Hot 100 hits on Spotify

420m - Have You Ever Seen The Rain (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

418m - Fortunate Son ( Creedence Clearwater Revival)

248m - Bad Moon Rising (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

144m - Down On The Corner (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

115m - Proud Mary (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

Table of Points

T1XUSHH.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz

I didn't want to go onto too much of a tangent on the mess that surrounded the decline of CCR and John Fogerty in the main post, but it is a big part of the story.

After the explosive success the band saw in 1969-1971, some of the other band members, especially older brother Tom, were asking for a chance to get involved in making the music, since John wrote, sang and played guitar on all the records' songs. John was opposed to this, which lead to Tom quitting the band. After that, John changed his mind and decided to give the rest of the band "what they asked for" by making them each write and perform 3 songs on their 1972 album, which became critically panned and a commercial flop, and John disbanding the band. 

As the main leader of the band, John still owed his label 8 more albums as part of his contract. He started working on solo music for his label, but it didn't perform well which he argued was because the label wasn't putting the effort into promoting it. It was a small label and he/CCR were their main successful act, but maybe they didn't think he had enough of a chance at further commercial success that he was worth investing in so they decided they'd rather keep their expenses at a minimum and milk his back catalog of hits. John Fogerty tried to get out of his contract but was only able to do so by selling them his publishing rights (in addition to the masters that had always been under the label's ownership).

He released a critically acclaimed flop on his new label and then quit making music. After about a decade, he came out of retirement and released a new album with some tracks shading the owner of his old label, Saul Zaentz. Zaentz struck back by suing him for plagiarizing his old music (that he now owned). Although John Forgerty won his case, it took him 10 years to retrieve the very high legal costs. John also found himself having to sue his label every year to make sure he got paid his royalties, and didn't play his CCR songs until 1995 It's unclear if that's because he didn't have permission to play them or because he didn't want to pay Zaentz performing royalties. In 2004 Zaentz sold Fantasy Records to Concord Records, and John Fogerty signed the new owners of his music, and was able to reach a compromise that allowed him to get his songwriting royalties back.

Love reading these backgrounds and learning more about music history :smitten:

Damn thats a pretty sad background story for Fogerty. Just checked out "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" and it's a nice track. Great melodies too. Who knows what CCR would have become had he never disbanded them.

Love the additional story, thanks for that.

I am just happy he got the royalties back, despite everything that happened. He deserves to own his work.

1 hour ago, deGonzz said:

Damn thats a pretty sad background story for Fogerty. Just checked out "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" and it's a nice track. Great melodies too. Who knows what CCR would have become had he never disbanded them.

Was it the first you ever heard of them? I feel like Fortunate Son is their biggest classic, I was a bit surprised to see "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" have more streams. I'm mostly just familiar with their biggest hits since they're used in a ton of American movies, shows, etc. Their albums are also always in the CD aisle of stores around here. Some of that is probably because the label's owner was trying to exploit his music as much as possible, which ensured they weren't forgotten and have strong recurrent streaming stats, but also meant his songs were occasionally used in ways John Fogerty wouldn't agree with.

Like when I did my write-up, he mentioned Fortunate Son being used in a jeans commercial. They played the opening lyric of the song in the commercial:

"Some folks are born to wave the flag, ooh, they're red white and blue"

Basically using the song to send a message that the jeans are for patriotic honest working class Americans or something.

But the song itself isn't about that, it's more about the hypocrisy of politicians preaching patriotism to get ordinary people to sign up to fight in wars that serve the interests of the elite while using their influence to make sure their own "fortunate" sons wouldn't have to risk their lives. It came out in 1969 and was a really popular anti Vietnam War song.

Anyways, not sure how big they would've been. They still released 6 solid albums from 1968-1970 so their run was short but still pretty prolific. They could've been a pretty popular touring act though, like other artists that geared towards the ordinary Americans like Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen. I think the disappointment of their last album as a full group in 1972 would've been difficult to recover from even if they didn't disband. The way it's written about it seems like it the flopping and panning was significantly worse than for Witness or Man of the Woods. What they would've needed was to be able to find a solution for some of the member's desire to contribute more (or maybe less them do side projects where they could contribute more), that way Mardis Gras wouldn't have had to happen.

It's pretty striking reading about all the stars that cracked under the pressure or lost self-control or faced issues with their labels. Not a lot of smooth rides. Some of these guys might've peaked at the same time anyways but they could've still had a much softer decline.

Edited by Ash12345

6 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

420m - Have You Ever Seen The Rain (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

418m - Fortunate Son ( Creedence Clearwater Revival)

248m - Bad Moon Rising (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

144m - Down On The Corner (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

115m - Proud Mary (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

Wow didn’t realise CCR were that loved on streaming, taste

On 12/18/2019 at 2:09 AM, 1DES said:

I didn't she wrote Señorita. No wonder it became a hit for Camila. 

I always thought it sounded it like a Clean Bandit b-side and now knowing that Jack from the band and Charli have writing credits on it. I can’t unhear it as a Clean Bandit f/ Charli track.

who are these people with so many streams I-...

I'm so out of touch :deadbanana2:

Also not "critically acclaimed flop" :rip: 

The music industry used to be(still is) a mess tho. It makes Taylor situation look way more mild :dancehall:

1 hour ago, JawBreaker said:

who are these people with so many streams I-...

I'm so out of touch :deadbanana2:

Also not "critically acclaimed flop" :rip: 

The music industry used to be(still is) a mess tho. It makes Taylor situation look way more mild :dancehall:

CCR are from the same era as The Beatles and have several songs that have similar streams to The Beatles most streamed songs so they're really popular with boomers and even Gen X.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/entertainment/explore/music_artist/Creedence_Clearwater_Revival

Edited by Ash12345

Honorable Mention - Janet Jackson

janet-jackson-gettyimages-1150040655.jpg

216m - Poetic Justice (Kendrick Lamar feat. Drake)

57m - That's The Way Love Goes (Janet Jackson)

55m - Together Again (Janet Jackson)

43m - All For You (Janet Jackson)

37m - Solo (Iyaz)

A bit surprising to see Got 'Til It's Gone as her 3rd most streamed song as a performer when it wasn't one of her many Hot 100 chart hits.

Table of Points

zehs6js.jpg

Edited by Ash12345

75. Christopher Bridges (Ludacris)

gettyimages-1002809440.jpg?quality=70&st

Ludacris wrote his first rap song when he moved to Atlanta at the age of nine. He later started working as a radio DJ there in the late 90s. He released his debut album in 1999 and the lead single "What's Your Fantasy" peaked at #21 in 2000. His lyrics are known for showcasing a cocky attitude and lewd sense of humor, and he was one of the most influential of the early "Dirty South" rappers with several hits throughout the 00s. He's also a featured artist on many major pop and R&B hits.

426m - Yeah! (Usher feat. Lil Jon & Ludacris)

207m - Baby (Justin Bieber feat. Ludacris)

183m - All I Do Is Win (DJ Khaled feat. T-Pain, Ludacris, Rick Ross & Snoop Dogg)

170m - Break Your Heart (Taio Cruz feat. Ludacris)

133m - Glamorous (Fergie feat. Ludacris)

Table of Points

3f0GwPH.jpg

iGuxoSd.jpg

dyw12Yw.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz

Edited by Ash12345

Damn, that’s a lot of chart credits! Didn’t expect to see him here.

I just realized that Nicki Minaj is likely to be high on this list because she has a **** ton of features. Literally probably 150-200. 

2 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Honorable Mention - Janet Jackson

A bit surprising to see Got 'Til It's Gone as her 3rd most streamed song as a performer when it wasn't one of her many Hot 100 chart hits

Streaming really has been such a blessing for the industry. I remember how everything seemed to die circa 2008 in terms of music/video quality and budgets. And now older artists can get crazy credit points by being sampled on new hit songs. Amazing!

11 minutes ago, eli's_rhythm said:

Damn, that’s a lot of chart credits! Didn’t expect to see him here.

Me neither! That's really a testament to great career strategic placements! And just like that, prolific featured rappers shall be expected to rank quite a bunch in here.

And so:

3 minutes ago, Alpha Male said:

I just realized that Nicki Minaj is likely to be high on this list because she has a **** ton of features. Literally probably 150-200. 

Yeeep I suspect this as well! 

1 minute ago, deGonzz said:

Streaming really has been such a blessing for the industry. I remember how everything seemed to die circa 2008 in terms of music/video quality and budgets. And now older artists can get crazy credit points by being sampled on new hit songs. Amazing!

Me neither! That's really a testament to great career strategic placements! And just like that, prolific featured rappers shall be expected to rank quite a bunch in here.

And so:

Yeeep I suspect this as well! 

I also suspect Paul McCartney and Drake to be in the top 10.

74. John Bongiovi (Jon Bon Jovi)

Bonjovimain_2510281b.jpg

Jon Bon Jovi learned to play guitar and piano when he formed his first band in middle school, and after playing in a couple other bands, he formed Bon Jovi in 1983, with the band's debut single reaching #39 on the Hot 100 in 1984. Bon Jovi's third album "Slippery When Wet" had several huge hits including "Wanted Dead Or Alive", "You Give Love A Bad Name" and "Livin' On A Prayer". Jon also released songs as a solo artist in the 90s - including #1 hit "Blaze of Glory" from the "Young Guns II" soundtrack. Bon Jovi was able to continue having hits in the 00s, such as early Max Martin collab "It's My Life" in 2000 and "Have A Nice Day" in 2005.

482m - Livin' On  A Prayer (Bon Jovi)

378m - You Give Love A Bad Name (Bon Jovi)

269m - It's My Life (Bon Jovi)

174m - Always (Bon Jovi)

151m - Wanted Dead Or Alive (Bon Jovi)

Table of Points

gMdy0Jd.jpg

tprfX6l.jpg

Edited by Ash12345

Had no idea his actual name was Bongiovi. :rip:

Just now, Alpha Male said:

Had no idea his actual name was Bongiovi. :rip:

Same.

I don’t know how to react to that.

Just now, Cherry123 said:

The list being oficially all men now :rip:

hopefully Carol and Diane can come thru to the top ten for some feminine energy 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.